Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 08:37 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I have a tendency toward depression and when I lived on Long Island, I would get depressed in the winter because it was dark at 4:30 p.m. and all the trees and plants looked dead.

Now that I'm in SW Florida, I'm the opposite. I'm fine in our "winter" but start getting miserable around May or June when the heat and humidity arrive. And unfortunately it will be with us till at least the end of October or even later.
I suffer from reverse SAD; nothing depresses me more than being trapped indoors all summer with the air-conditioner blasting because it's too hot and humid to be active outdoors (sitting still is tolerable for only short periods, but it's still sticky, and there are still bugs), having to keep the blinds drawn against the blazing sun and my energy bills rising every day. Rain, clouds, cool temperatures, and snow cheer and energize me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 08:49 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I notice a lot of people say they really like autumn, not just in the south but everywhere. I think it's relief after the discomfort of summer heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Everyone here says spring and fall are their favorite seasons. The problem is, they only last about two weeks each before you're thrust into the next extreme-temperature season which lasts interminable months...
And yet so many people say they love having four seasons... Makes me wonder if they really love four seasons, or if they are just relieved to get rid of one type of rotten weather, even though they are going straight to another one. At any rate, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of people who prefer the mild West Coast climate and don't miss four seasons.

I like long days and bright sunny weather as long as it is not too hot. Since it's generally not humid here and almost always cools off at night, which gives me a chance to get in some outdoor activities in the morning, "too hot" is over 95F during the day and/or over 72F at night. We don't have too many of those days, maybe a month total over the year.

Last edited by saibot; 06-09-2021 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-09-2021, 08:56 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
Does anyone else dislike long days and bright sunny weather?
I love long days and bright sunny weather.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:07 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Everyone here says spring and fall are their favorite seasons. The problem is, they only last about two weeks each before you're thrust into the next extreme-temperature season which lasts interminable months...
That is because most of the US is a lower latitude country, so the shoulder seasons of Spring and Fall are always too short, compared to continental areas of the US that are further north, about halfway between the equator and pole (45N latitude).

Old 06-09-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I love long days and bright sunny weather.
The Southwest would be one of the worst possible climates for me, I would be hibernating in the AC indoors or avoiding the excessively harsh sunlight as much as possible.

I live in a cloudier climate in the woods, and have nearly 100 ft trees on my property. Most of the West is either too dry or too expensive in terms of real estate prices.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The Southwest would be one of the worst possible climates for me, I would be hibernating in the AC indoors or avoiding the excessively harsh sunlight as much as possible.
But it'd be a DRY heat, unlike in the Ohio River Valley. That's how I live HERE, trying to escape not only the sun and heat, but also (mostly) the oppressive intolerable humidity.

Old 06-09-2021, 01:11 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
I think some people try to blame too many of their moods, emotions, happiness, and outlooks on life on the weather, when actually they are lacking a full capacity for happiness and joy in life and have a diminished ability for happiness and positive outlook.

For them with their diminished capacity for positive outlook and happiness, something is often or always wrong....in their life.

Old 06-09-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think some people try to blame too many of their moods, emotions, happiness, and outlooks on life on the weather, when actually they are lacking a full capacity for happiness and joy in life and have a diminished ability for happiness and positive outlook.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:44 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
I'm trying to understand why you might feel that way matisse12. As someone who grew up in Southern California who moved to Oregon for 7 years, I think Oregon is really beautiful but I cannot stand the gray days for weeks on end. Rain and cold don't bother me at all. I actually like that.

I had a panic attack after 50 days of gloom. It happened to be the first day of Spring. We got 20 mins. of sun that day. That's when I realized that SAD is real, after poo-pooing it for years. I just didn't believe it really existed. Fortunately, I was able to move away a few months later. To Arizona, where I was in heaven. I was done with gray skies.

Now that I live in the south where there's been a lot of gloom all winter and spring, I feel like I'm back in Oregon. I just don't like it. However, I do things to improve my mood, and I'm a naturally upbeat person. Still, the gloom really does get to me and it can be an effort. Just looking outside some mornings, I think "ANOTHER gloomy day."

Old 06-10-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
But it'd be a DRY heat, unlike in the Ohio River Valley. That's how I live HERE, trying to escape not only the sun and heat, but also (mostly) the oppressive intolerable humidity.
I despise both excessively dry heat or heat with humidity. Also, dry heat and excessive sunlight dehydrates me extremely quickly- I'm not a fan of drinking an absolutely massive amount of water every day just to stay hydrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology