Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 02:35 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times

Advertisements

I like more sun but not the heat so much, so spring in Southern CA is almost perfect for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 02:51 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,944 times
Well, I'm one of those who would LOVE living 365 days a year in bright 85 degree weather. But I actually worked with someone from Buffalo, NY that loved the long cold season and gloomier days.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:39 AM

52 posts, read 47,967 times
You are not alone, I love and prefer coo/cold, gray, gloomy, drizzly days over the sun anytime, and throw in some thunder storms here and there for a perfect scenario.
Living in SoCal probably isn’t he best place for me, however the last few weeks there have actually been some very moody, gray and somewhat stormy (for SoCal) days and the temps have been about as cold as the temps will get in the area.
I would one day love to move to the PNW or to Wisconsin where I can experience the weather I love more often.
There are actually a couple of Facebook groups that are just for people like us called “I hate summer”. It appears there are more of us gray, gloomy types out there than you might realize!

Old 03-19-2018, 11:10 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Having grown up in a cloudy, overcast area, especially from October to April (Northeastern PA) for half my life and also getting the chance to live in Arizona, Hawai'i, North Carolina and South Carolina, I prefer the sunbelt, hands down.

For me the sun makes everything "more vibrant" and "pop", if that makes any sense. I've been to NYC probably a hundred times, and while the city is amazing, it just feels gloomy and there's something missing with it's cloudy and overcast as compared to when it is sunny.

Even in the sunny places, where I have lived, on the days when it's cloudy and overcast, it just doesn't feel as nice, vibrant and happy.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:55 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,030 times
Can't stand them. The cloudier, more rainy, and more foul the day the better. I miss Barrow, Alaska because come Winter the Sun would set and stay below the horizon for 65 days and even when it was Summer and the Sun didn't set for 82 days Barrow is still one of the cloudiest places on Earth

Old 03-20-2018, 04:53 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
OP, you're not alone. People who sweat profusely don't like bright sunny weather, which means hot, for sure. And I believe there are lots of people who sweat a lot.

I don't sweat a lot, but when there is an extreme side, I would prefer a day with lots of snow and -45 C than a very bright sunny day and +45 C
I actually don't sweat at all really...very very minimal (as in a tiny amount in underarms if I'm lucky, and nowhere else), and even that is only when it's at least 40 C.

I thought that was one reason I disliked hot weather... I don't have the natural mechanism to cool my body down (spray bottles with water are essential during warm nights). Combine that with my naturally high body temp, and summer is inferno for me.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:57 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Move to Denmark. You will change your mind.
Or maybe Svalbard...

Old 03-20-2018, 08:51 AM

240 posts, read 286,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I like the short days. I'm happy with the 4:30 sunsets. For some reason, I feel safe once it's dark. I feel like the business day is over, no knocks, phone calls, bad news, etc is coming.
I feel just like you! Unfortunately living in Florida, the days are very long in the summer. And hot and humid. I wish I had the guts to move, but I'm alone with very little family.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:04 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
"I wish I had the guts to move, but I'm alone with very little family."

Sounds like the perfect excuse TO move, if you want to!

I, too, enjoy "hibernating" after a stressful day at work; snuggling down with my pets under a blanket with a hot drink and watching an old movie or reading a good book. I've even been known to close the blinds to simulating a short winter day.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:29 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't think I've met anyone else similar to me in that regard.

I love short days and dark "gloomy" weather all day long. It's so much more calming, forgiving, and cozy.

Sunlight is too loud and harsh, and anything over 60F is too hot. Even when wearing sunglasses, the being in the sunlight makes me squint.

Am I the only non-sun worshipper?

Yes, which is why I plan on relocating from "sunny" Southern California hopefully sometime soon. I am not a summer person or a sun worshiper, and these long "summers" in Southern California depress me. And while the summer season only technically last for three months (mid June-mid Sept), here in Southern California summer-like conditions basically last 8-9 months of the year, because our fall season is basically just a slightly watered down version of summer, and our winter season often has an abundance of warm (and even hot) days. Add to that our lack of rain and no snow (except in the mountains) and it feels too much like a desert here (which it almost is).

I also don't like being outside in direct sunlight either; I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to skin health and sun damage, so I go to great lengths to minimize my sun exposure, which is made more difficult living in such a sunny environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology