Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 08:51 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times

Advertisements

Hmm. Well, I've dated two women in my life that *might* have been smarter.

One was when I was in high school. She was smart, but I don't believe she was smarter than I am. I was in gifted programs growing up, Mensa, etc, while she was not. Don't know if she actually tried to get into Mensa, but she was not selected to be part of the gifted program in our school district.

Problem with her was that she always acted like she had something to prove. Always wanted to prove that she was the smartest person in the room. That got old pretty quick so I ended it.

The second one was during my early 30's. This girl might have been legitimately smarter than me. She was a Mensa member, always did very well learning new complicated trading formulas, etc. Dated for a short time but ultimately we just weren't compatible. I wouldn't have had a problem with her being smarter than me, she didn't try to make her intelligence a competition with anyone.

My wife is smart, but not as smart as I am. But I married her because she has grit... which is sadly lacking with most people, especially younger people today. She came to this country without knowing the language, enrolled in school while working two jobs, and had no help doing it. She's mentally tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 09:14 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I've always dated women with a certain minimal level of "smartness" and education (masters or higher - and not a basket weaving masters: MBA, molec bio PhD, JD, etc).
Was one of them smarter than me? Probably. Was one of them not as smart? Probably.
But because there was always a minimum level set, it didn't make any difference one way or another in our relationships.
I had to respect them for the whole package first. And be attracted to them.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:37 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
I don't get how somebody can be smarter than someone else. We have different talents and abilities unless there is some challenge such as mental retardation. Both my daughters are very intelligent but they have chosen a different path than me. While they have no clue about how their vehicles work (and no interest in learning, that's what I'm for) it doesn't mean they're stupid. I could learn their skill sets if I didn't slowly go insane in a cubicle or office.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:57 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I don't get how somebody can be smarter than someone else. We have different talents and abilities unless there is some challenge such as mental retardation. Both my daughters are very intelligent but they have chosen a different path than me. While they have no clue about how their vehicles work (and no interest in learning, that's what I'm for) it doesn't mean they're stupid. I could learn their skill sets if I didn't slowly go insane in a cubicle or office.
I think it's a matter of processing time. One person whizzes through college (I did an undergrad program in five semesters), and the other is like, see.Spot.run.

I read an article many years ago about how professional women sometimes have problems finding husbands and how many turn to blue collar workers who may be very smart and attractive but aren't in the so-called professional classes. It was in fact recommended that women do this. That was some time ago when the stereotypical behavior of professional men was to chose a wife and mother figure who did not work or did not pursue a career.

In my parents' era, a wife who worked outside the home was an embarrassment to her husband as her having a job indicated he was not able to take care of her, or of his family. That day has long passed, but dad would not let my mother work, even if she had been so inclined or they needed the income.

There was a whole host of things back then (I guess prior to the '60's, maybe?) that are different now. But in the first half of the 20th century intellectual women were sometimes referred to as "bluestockings," and it was not a flattering characterization.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:18 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Processing time is a factor but for some of us it's what is interesting. I can read and understand technical manuals for just about any kind of industrial equipment, easily understand electrical schematics the size of a front door and I got Ds in English in highschool. Math and science were easy for me too, they were interesting. I never had problems with fractions where many people I know did.

If you use a ridgid template to define intelligence you're going to end up wasting a lot of potential.

I've never met a woman who is less intelligent than me. I have known women with different talents. The woman who helped me raise my daughters was not good at science and math but as a comminicator and planner she had no equal that I knew.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:04 PM

283 posts, read 370,030 times
My first wife's IQ- 164.

My second wife's IQ- 145.

Mine is around 136.

I've always found intelligent women extremely compelling.

Someone with whom I have trouble keeping up is unendingly exhilarating to be with.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

I don't get how somebody can be smarter than someone else.
I think not understanding how one person can be overall smarter than another indicates your personal level of knowledge.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:23 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
I wish I had.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:29 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Yes and I would enjoy the stimulating conversation. I would also date/marry a woman who makes a lot more money than me and I would have no insecurities whatsoever.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:47 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Yes and I would enjoy the stimulating conversation. I would also date/marry a woman who makes a lot more money than me and I would have no insecurities whatsoever.
It's wonderful that you feel that way, and it's smart, too, given that women have continued to be offered more opportunities in the workplace and will likely continue to approach the earning power of upper echelon men.

I'll be 68 in a couple of months, straight, and in a lifetime of dating, marriages, being widowed once, and love affairs, I've been rejected (who cares, so what!) more the once for (a) being too tall (6'3"), (b) using pretentious words (e.g., "film" for "movie"), (c) "talking too much about computers," and, in general, too bookish, too rich, too educated, too liberal, too freethinking, too "artsy" and so on.

Too, too, too. Their loss. From my current perspective, I'm glad those men rejected me, but when I was young it was painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology