Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 08:19 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I've had men tell me I shouldn't say "film," for example, versus saying "movie."
Those men wouldn't do well at, for example, the Sundance Film Festival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 08:29 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
The Huff Post article may be the one I cited:

• Study Shows Men Can’t Deal With Women Who Are Smarter Than Them
https://www.themarysue.com/men-and-smart-women/

• Why men are threatened by smart women
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...ood-2015-10-16

• Men May Like The Idea Of A Smart Woman, But They Don’t Want To Date One
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b02f6a900ed2aa
Huffington Post is better than People Magazine or the National Enquirer or Brietbart but you kind of have to keep the spin in mind. The target audience is center-left women Millennials. It's way less biased than, say, Fox News but it has some bias.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I have known since I was age 7 that I had 98% verbal aptitude and only 2% mechanical aptitude...
By definition, such a statistical difference between verbal IQ and performance IQ is a Non-Verbal Learning Disability (NVLD). Such a huge difference is extremely rare. How did that affect your growing up? Most such people find romantic relationships extremely difficult; indeed studies show such NVLD people rarely have successful long term romantic relationships.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarmy View Post
Some men would not due to fragile egos.
Speaking of generalizations...

Old 03-22-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Huffington Post is better than People Magazine or the National Enquirer or Brietbart...
That's debatable.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:09 AM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
I vaguely remember reading about a research experiment done in a university psychology department; men were shown a series of photographs of women and asked if they would date and/or marry them. I'm not completely clear how it was set up, but I think some of the women were said to have higher standardized test scores than the subjects.

I think initially, most men said they would, but in the final analysis, they didn't.
Well, I did, and it's been like a chess game ever since.

Joanna Gaines appears to be smarter than Chip...at least that's how they play it for television.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:17 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Men, would you date or marry someone smarter than you?
Sure. Why not?

Old 03-22-2018, 10:15 AM

892 posts, read 1,500,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sadly, intelligent/smart people have the hardest time finding love, and often feel lonely, or stay single all their life. They are smart enough to decide that it's better to be alone, than to be with just anyone.
I've long felt this has been one of my issues, which also ties into the next quoted comment - I don't want to feel like I'm dating/married to a child that needs constant attention, supervision, decision making, whatever. Which I know sounds horrible, and like I'm one of the "I'm better than you" people, but I can't think of any better way to explain it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I'm far from stupid, but I tend to be attracted more to independent and smart women. I know or at least feel that in my absence or whatever, a wise decision would be made, using a thought process based on facts and not just emotions or what they heard from a friend.
This...I find it astounding the number of women that I've met that seemingly can't even go to the bathroom without consulting their boyfriends/husbands first, much less making any major decision. I get not wanting to do something like buying a car or a house solo, or making a change in employment, etc. But on the other hand, if I get stuck at work well out of cell phone range (which is a common scenario for me), and say a kid gets hurt or sick, the AC goes out, the car breaks down, whatever..that she's not going to shut down until I become available again.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:54 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Huffington Post is better than People Magazine or the National Enquirer or Brietbart but you kind of have to keep the spin in mind. The target audience is center-left women Millennials. It's way less biased than, say, Fox News but it has some bias.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
That's debatable.
Stuff is always debatable...you probably wouldn't trust this but it is one assessment of media bias:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/?s=people

Old 03-22-2018, 12:47 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
I've long felt this has been one of my issues, which also ties into the next quoted comment - I don't want to feel like I'm dating/married to a child that needs constant attention, supervision, decision making, whatever. Which I know sounds horrible, and like I'm one of the "I'm better than you" people, but I can't think of any better way to explain it right now.
You've touched on something important here that helps define the question better than the silliness it started out with.

If you're the type of person that compares GRE scores on a date and acts accordingly, good luck to ya.

If you want to find other criteria like the music they listen to or their spelling, good luck to ya.

While I admit there are many definitions of 'smart' and 'intelligent' that people subscribe to (and hence color their responses here), my working definition of it is more of an approach than a set of criteria. Here are some examples that reflect that:

When faced with something unfamiliar, do you wade in and see what it's like or do you retreat to your comfort zone and downplay the value?

Are you more curious or more reluctant?

Do you enjoy a round of questions or would you rather be spoken at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology