Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 03:54 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
And I can practically guarantee that most of the amateur musicians I know would have been at least as angry as I was. I have seen them get angry over much less.

And, when they get angry they sometimes stormed out without saying why. Or they didn't say anything, and told me how they felt afterward.
]
They sound like childish a**holes. It is certainly not representative of musicians amateur or otherwise. Maybe it's one reason they are amateurs, because pros need a thick skin and the ability to mentally adjust.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:55 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That's how the internet works. If you're going to post online, you have to learn to ignore those people.

Spitting back at them helps no one.

It's a shame that it works that way, but it's the same as if we all were standing out on the sidewalk shouting out our thoughts and opinions. You're gonna get some random drive-by bashers.
Keyword, ignore. The forum can help with that too.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:53 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
]
They sound like childish a**holes. It is certainly not representative of musicians amateur or otherwise. Maybe it's one reason they are amateurs, because pros need a thick skin and the ability to mentally adjust.
Oh just stop. You are still mad at your ex, seeing him everywhere. People do get their feelings hurt, and it is often for a reason. People are not all nice.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That's how the internet works. If you're going to post online, you have to learn to ignore those people.

Spitting back at them helps no one.

It's a shame that it works that way, but it's the same as if we all were standing out on the sidewalk shouting out our thoughts and opinions. You're gonna get some random drive-by bashers.
True. I don't know why I ever answer them.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No one is saying you caused anything. We are saying the reason you didn't get to play is because you chose not to. They are two different things, one is who caused the chaos, but that does not matter in the slightest. Again the reason YOU didn't play is because YOU let the opportunity pass you of your own volition, regardless of what they did or didn't do before that moment.
There was no opportunity. Ned was still banging away on his guitar to the last second. I had the option of grabbing and smashing his guitar, but then I would have had to pay him for it.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:48 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
They don't have to be mind readers. They just have to understand normal open mic etiquette. They knew, they just didn't care.
And you should have taken your guitar out of its case, preferably early on and at the latest as the second guy was nearing the end of his song. Then, as he ended his song and you applauded or said something complimentary, you should have stood right up, made a brief intro and started playing and singing your songs.

Next time, though, if there is a next time, you need to speak up and say something like "Well, I guess I'll be starting the show this time, guys. " (Big smile to them.)

Old 04-02-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Oh just stop. You are still mad at your ex, seeing him everywhere. People do get their feelings hurt, and it is often for a reason. People are not all nice.
I'm not mad in the slightest. We broke up over 3 years ago and I'm now engaged to a guy I don't have to manage the environment for. I keep bringing him up because your attitude toward needing to blame and find fault and insist you're a victim just happens to be a mirror image to him. I am actually a little ashamed I dated him for so long, he embarrassed me in front of friends and family with his pouting resentment many times. It's cringe-worthy to think about.

But talking to you is just the same as trying to talk to him was, like a brick wall.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
There was no opportunity. Ned was still banging away on his guitar to the last second. I had the option of grabbing and smashing his guitar, but then I would have had to pay him for it.
No song ever ended? You didn't have a 10th of a second to jump in and ask when your turn was? I don't believe you. You said yourself he asked you if you were going to play and you gave a "who knows" gesture, didn't you??

Old 04-02-2018, 06:47 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Good4, it's open mic and a whopping 3 people were there.

WTF are you doing wasting your time with those people?

Have someone video you and post it up to youtube.

Describe it as how you want to express yourself and sure, you might get some 12 year olds trolling you (or 30 year olds with the maturity of 12 year olds) but I wouldn't limit something you're this passionate about to 3 dudes that happen to live in your proximity.

ART is subjective. I'm pretty sure I can find 3 people real fast that don't like Prince, Johnny Cash, David Bowie, Kelly Clarkson etc.

Best of luck. Art is most importantly for you to expressive yourself first and foremost. Everyone else can suck it.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:49 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
OP.
MY GOD, your failure to articulate your needs is poisoning your inner life!

Get emergency assertiveness training, stat, or you will not only feel ignored, but trampled like a doormat and have no one to blame but yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology