Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 06:51 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,367 times

Advertisements

Do you enjoy a moment more in real time -- as it's happening -- or later on when reflecting upon it?

Here's an example: My wife and I visited Walt Disney World recently.

I had fun while I was there, but I probably have a more favorable perception of the trip now that I'm home, sifting through pictures, and reminiscing about it.

My guess is that it's because all the "negatives" about the trip (huge crowds, long drive, heat, long wait times for shuttles, long lines for the rides) are no longer a factor, so I've mentally filtered all that out and am now only thinking about how fun the rides were, how much we enjoyed taking pics with the costumed characters, the food, and so forth. And it's those good things that are captured in all the photos we took.

Does this ever happen to you? Is it an example of how human beings have a tendency to look back on an event through rose-colored glasses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 10:12 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,432,855 times
I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I catch myself longing for earlier days but when I really think about it and try to imagine myself there, I wonder if it was as great as I remember it being. For example you bring up things like the heat. If I remember something fondly about a previous summer, I'm sure during that very same time I was complaining about the heat, humidity and mosquitoes.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:16 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Happens to me ALL THE TIME in the way you described, when the event itself is fraught with the sorts of "negatives" you describe. Human memory is helpful that way, sorting out the good from the bad.

But there are events throughout my life that are so magically satisfying in the moment that it's almost like memory fades after that. In those moments I never take pictures, or post on social media, or stuff like that because I'm just so zoned in. Maybe I'd journal about them later. Those are better mo' fun for me.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:24 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I grab for the gusto and enjoy the anticipation, the experience AND the memories.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:47 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Depends on the event. I can call up many situations that weren't exactly wonderful while they happened, but they provide delicious campfire tale fodder for years afterwards and get a little more polish every time told. Other events that were anticipated to be wonderful were dull in comparison to my expectations. Then there were things that happened just as happily as hoped and as remembered.

Long story short, it can go in any direction...but NOT knowing this ahead of time sort of adds to the excitement, right?

Old 04-03-2018, 04:14 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Do you enjoy a moment more in real time -- as it's happening -- or later on when reflecting upon it?

Here's an example: My wife and I visited Walt Disney World recently.

I had fun while I was there, but I probably have a more favorable perception of the trip now that I'm home, sifting through pictures, and reminiscing about it.

My guess is that it's because all the "negatives" about the trip (huge crowds, long drive, heat, long wait times for shuttles, long lines for the rides) are no longer a factor, so I've mentally filtered all that out and am now only thinking about how fun the rides were, how much we enjoyed taking pics with the costumed characters, the food, and so forth. And it's those good things that are captured in all the photos we took.

Does this ever happen to you? Is it an example of how human beings have a tendency to look back on an event through rose-colored glasses?
Both. Usually, if I remember something as positive, I at least enjoyed it somewhat while it was happening...but unusual and somewhat interesting situations usually result in positive memories.

I think the memories are what usually make the experiences worth it though. I think the benefit of going on trips comes mostly from the stories you have to tell. That's why a group of college students having a competition about who can sit on a flaming couch the longest, or are having beer-chugging competitions can actually be more intelligent than they seem. They're investing in memories, and that can be a wise investment. The memories echo on after the event ends...even if the memories initially mostly resulted in feelings of nausea (from the drinking contests) or fear (from sitting on a burning couch).

Everybody talks about drunken, reckless fraternity members being idiots, and in a sense they are, but in another sense, I think certain types of recklessness are actually wise because the goal of life isn't always just "make as much money as possible and avoid struggle" although that's generally a good practice.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:37 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,290 times
I agree that it depends upon the event. Often I'm an 'in the moment' sort of person who revels in the experience as it happens, but sometimes it will be afterward.

Two examples: A couple of years ago I visited my son when he was still living in Toronto. One afternoon we decided to go to the new Ripley's Aquarium. The aquarium itself was pretty awesome, but the crowds were so intense that (in looking back) I remember more about getting squeezed, trampled upon, and pushed and shoved than I do about seeing the amazing aquatic life. I took as many pictures as I could (to my son's dismay...he felt that I couldn't have been enjoying the experience because I was focused upon taking pics), but honestly, when you're 4'11" (actually a bit less now) and trying to get through crowds of not-so height-challenged folk, I decided that taking pictures would be best. And now when I look back at them, I enjoy the aquarium more....and it brings back memories of precious time spent with my son.

My second example was one day was when I was out on a walk with my elderly dog, Kaya. She was almost 15, and I was acutely aware that she wouldn't be with me for much longer (a feeling that proved more true than I'd wished...she was diagnosed with a malignant tumour a few months later, and only lived another 3 months after that). Anyway, the area I took her to on that absolutely wonderful day was somewhere she loved to go; it was an abandoned military base that used to house families of enlisted men. The houses were all torn down, and all that was left was acres upon acres of grassy fields and woods, and abandoned roads. At one point I sat down on a rock and let Kaya just do her thing, and I remember in that moment thinking, 'This is really special....I'll remember this always'. And so it was. I sat and took in the sun, the warmth, the beauty of the day, but most of all I remember watching my girl roam and explore, in her glory at having such freedom. That was definitely an in-the-moment treasure...and I also enjoy it almost as much today, in recalling it.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:03 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I've noticed that I'm kind of passively taking stuff in sometimes, then remember the details later.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:42 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I enjoyed prepping for marriage and going there, but the years following...not so great, Pluses and minuses with it all. It all depends on the event and what is happening.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:30 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
It depends on the event. Seeing La Boheme at the Met in NYC was high on my bucket list. Then I actually got to go. I was so moved throughout the whole thing that I was in tears most of the time with joy. Even now, nearly 10 years later I still enjoy the memory but not as much as in the moment.

Some things I look back on fondly years later like the trip my late husband and I took to Boothbay Harbor, Maine or New Hope, PA when we were first dating. While it was enjoyable at the time, I look back on those trips now with fonder memories than when I was actually living it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology