Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 01:46 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times

Advertisements

If I don't know you, I don't want to use your restroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 05:30 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
No! I would never permit a stranger to enter my home on the premise he or she needs to use my bathroom. It isn't safe for me to do that.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:23 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Why so?

Do you feel like they are going to rob, attack you , or steal things from your restroom?
It would be an extremely weird thing to do, so yeah.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yes, asking to use the restroom or the phone has been used in the past by rapists and murderers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Todd_Lee

This particular killer told police, who said there were no signs of forced entry, that he had knocked and asked one of the women if he could use her bathroom and another one the phone. He strangled her with that phone cord.

I don't answer the door for people I don't know.
Funny story: So, someone knocked on my door back in the days of land-lines. Wanted to use the phone. I said I am sorry I cannot open the door to a stranger. He made a good case of why he needed to use the phone, I said then I will hand it to you (cordless) over my back patio fence.

He said ok, used the phone, and then let me know my keys were..............................in my front door. LOL.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
So what if it's a elderly man or a Athelete Jogger or even a High School Boy?

I don't think someone like that is capable of robbing you but of course someone who looks like a Gangster or a Smelly Bum yes they are quite capable
?

Two very young men, teens, came to my door purporting to sell magazines for some sort of charitable endeavor. As I was looking over the items, wishing to help them out, they forced their way into my home. They did not look like gangsters or 'smelly bums'. They were clean-cut, neatly dressed young men.

What on earth are you talking about?

'High School Boys' are involved in violent crime everyday in this country.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Honestly, that's how Ted Bundy operated--he was a nice, pleasant, friendly person, and he asked people for help loading up his car or offered them rides.
Exactly! Total psychopath. Certainly didn't look like one to people. Very charming.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:13 PM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
?

Two very young men, teens, came to my door purporting to sell magazines for some sort of charitable endeavor. As I was looking over the items, wishing to help them out, they forced their way into my home. They did not look like gangsters or 'smelly bums'. They were clean-cut, neatly dressed young men.

What on earth are you talking about?

'High School Boys' are involved in violent crime everyday in this country.
I think cosmo is pulling our chain .

Old 04-06-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I think cosmo is pulling our chain .
You never know on here! As for businesses, no matter where I have traveled (within the US) I have never been told no. And I absolutely ask a lot.

If there is a sign saying customers only or whatever I just ask really nicely. /shrug.

If it were a convenience store or something and I had to buy a water or a pack of gun, so what? A lot of people would consider that a courtesy anyway.

At a fast food type restaurant the other day a woman came in needing change for a $100. She grabbed a bag of chips out of the basket on the counter to purchase to get her change. I thought that was very polite.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:38 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
I notice that in some areas of West LA many business owners are stingy and don't let you use the restroom easily unless your a paying customer or something..

Now I ask lets say someone you don't know at all needs to urgently use the restroom either number 1 or 2?

They knock at your house, your business etc

Would you help a stranger lets say use your restroom in your own business or house? Why or why not?

After all using the restroom is pretty much an unavoidable part of a human eventually you have to use the restroom.
A total stranger knocking on the door? No. Too dangerous.

A worker working on something outside? Yes, but I would hover by a door, so I can keep watch but not be inside alone with a worker, if I don't know him/her well.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:14 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
A total stranger knocking on the door? No. Too dangerous.

A worker working on something outside? Yes, but I would hover by a door, so I can keep watch but not be inside alone with a worker, if I don't know him/her well.
So the point there is how much of a stranger he is, and how much do you have to think you know about him to allow him that much intimacy into your home and life.

If, for instance, you had hired him to repair your kitchen sink (the plumber), you'd probably think you know enough about him at that point to allow him to use your bathroom.

So, yes, it's a matter of the circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology