Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 11:12 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times

Advertisements

I'm almost 40 and have never had to go so bad that I felt tempted to knock on a strangers door and ask to go. If you have found yourself in this situation then perhaps alternative means are needed, like wearing depends or driving a van/suv with a portable toilet in the rear.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 12:00 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Have you ever been in a situation where you need to use the Restroom yet you are walking/driving in an area where you can't find a restroom or find business owners who are stingy with their Restrooms and only limit it to their Employees?

Try being in that position
What makes you think they are stingy? They are in business. They are not a public restroom.

Just last week I stopped somewhere because I had to restore my personal comfort. After I used the restroom I bought something, it was the right thing to do. I wasn't going to be tacky and just walk out.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:36 PM

17,548 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Quote:
I notice that in some areas of West LA many business owners are stingy and don't let you use the restroom easily unless your a paying customer or something..

Now I ask lets say someone you don't know at all needs to urgently use the restroom either number 1 or 2?

They knock at your house, your business etc

Would you help a stranger lets say use your restroom in your own business or house? Why or why not?

After all using the restroom is pretty much an unavoidable part of a human eventually you have to use the restroom.
As for business, bathrooms are paid for and for use of PAYING customers, period!

I would NEVER allow a stranger into our home.

Easy way to set up a home invasion

Old 04-05-2018, 12:39 PM

17,548 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yes, asking to use the restroom or the phone has been used in the past by rapists and murderers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Todd_Lee

This particular killer told police, who said there were no signs of forced entry, that he had knocked and asked one of the women if he could use her bathroom and another one the phone. He strangled her with that phone cord.

I don't answer the door for people I don't know.

Bingo! I guess they do things differently on the left coast????

Old 04-05-2018, 12:46 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
Nope.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:33 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,030,067 times
I've had people let me use their bathrooms they were having a yard sale or estate sale, like when when I am out yard sale-ing and have been driving around a while. I'd probably let someone use mine in a similar situation. Otherwise heeeeeeelllllllllll no.

Strangers knocking on the door in densely populated urban areas are either 1) trying to sell you something 2) churchies or 3) scoping your house for possible future burglary (while pretending to be 1) or 2) )

Hell, people just pee in the alley all the time anyway.

EDIT: I've almost never had a business tell me 'no' when I ask if I can use the restroom, restaurants and coffee shops are usually fine with that regardless of signage (At least in major cities on the West Coast, can't speak to East coast)

Old 04-05-2018, 01:33 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Depends

if he/she sounds nice and calm about it and doesn't look like a theif or creepy possibly.

if it's someone that sounds creepy, rude, and looks like they will murder you then maybe not.

People know if they try to pull something off they know they will get caught eventually especially if there is more than 1 person in the house.

I would doubt someone would want to be causing a crime
Looks have absolutely nothing to do with criminality. Plenty of people have been victims of average or 'nice' looking people. No random strangers will be invited into my home at all, ever.

To the topic of 'stingy' business owners, do people realize that bio-hazardous waste left on the walls and floors will often times have to cleaned by special crews called in, at a rather hefty cost?

I will use adult diapers if I know I may be out and about and unsure of the quick availability of clean public restrooms. Beats having to use some unsavory looking stall somewhere.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:47 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
Quote:
Fine

It still doesn't change the fact that people have to go use the restroom.

Do you like being denied Restroom service when you need to go?

Do you rather have them using a random stangers house or using Nearby bush?

Asking a Stranger to use their Restroom yea pretty sure nobody likes to do that but when you need to go you GOTTA GO
I have to say that in my entire adult life, this has never happened to me. I am always able to plan ahead or use a fast food place or convenience store, where I will buy something as a courtesy.

If you have continence problems, OP, adult diapers really work well. Maybe you should keep some in your car or backpack?

Old 04-05-2018, 03:53 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
Because: Stranger = strangler.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:32 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Why so?

Do you feel like they are going to rob, attack you , or steal things from your restroom?

Actually in certain cultures (French/France comes to mind) one does not ask to use lavatory at a guest's home. This is slowly changing but still, it is not considered polite in some circles.

As to your other point many homes/apartments in France, especially older ones the WC is separate from actual "bath room". That is there are separate rooms for where toilet is located and bathing (and sometimes even sink/hand washing) facilities.

Truth to tell outside of tourist areas (and even then) finding a public restrooms in France can be a challenge. This explains why you see so many men(mostly) simply peeing in public......

As to the why and wherefores of all this; there is a cultural thing with the French about being in control of all one's appetites, functions, and so forth. As it relates to relieving oneself it goes back to the court of Louis XIV.

According to the story a lady in waiting to the queen, was travelling with the king and his court when she was caught short. However making this known and requesting the king and his court stop their carriages so she could go in the bushes was unthinkable. So the good lady "held it in" until the royal procession had to make a stop (likely to rest/water the horses). The lady in question took advantage and made her way to side of road and with her brother (a gentleman at court also traveling with same group) shielding finally was able to "go".

https://www.frenchtoday.com/blog/fre...room-in-French

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...-and-americans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology