Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 12:11 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times

Advertisements

Heard my mailman talk about it for years. It just got worse and worse. He finally retired the day he was eligible.We have had other mailmen/women on the route. They all seem pretty stressed. Not a job I'd want. I'd rather swing a mop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
You can generalize anything. How many "going postal" episodes have we seen? How often does a postal worker go nuts? And we can say the same about dentists, except they commit suicide more often than they go nuts. Add air traffic controllers to the mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 05:13 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Talk is ultra-cheap! What of those that are in their 40's, 50's, or even early 60's, burnt out on their jobs, and the prospect of going back to school for a career change at that age?

I work with a number of middle-aged to older nurses, completely burn out on their jobs, can't wait to retire, and what choices are available to them? I even run across nurses in their 30's, single mothers, with children, in a high paying job they detest, and again, what choices are available to them?

Find another job!!! Yeah, yeah, yeah!! Just as easy as brushing your teeth!
So what is the solution? To whine and rant about it on City Data forums? To quit your job and become homeless? No one forced those guys in their 40s, 50s, and 60s to choose their career path. I'm in the air force, finishing my last 2 years which will put me at 10 years of total service. Should I make a thread about my "mistake?"

No, I'm going to suck it up and finish the enlistment because no one forced me to sign that paper.

Anyone is entitled to rant about how unfair life is, and anyone on this site is entitled to respond with the "don't like it, then change it" response.

This is real life and in real life, things aren't always how you envision them to be. If you're going to work yourself into a depression over your job, then it's clear you need to see professional help that the internet can't provide. This is a message board, other than words, no one can help the OP besides the OP.

Last edited by Rocko20; 04-11-2018 at 05:30 PM..

Old 04-11-2018, 05:29 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
All I can say, there were MANY MANY more jobs before the tech world. I worked about 40 yrs and probably had 16 different "jobs" and when I could not take a job anymore I would quit and had a new job in a week or less...went to job ads, employment agencies, temp agencies...and found work...now the computer does everything and now robots too. We've created monsters in many ways.

I typed, took shorthand, answered phones, got coffee for the boss(s) and that's how it was for many many years of my work lives.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:15 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
All I can say, there were MANY MANY more jobs before the tech world. I worked about 40 yrs and probably had 16 different "jobs" and when I could not take a job anymore I would quit and had a new job in a week or less...went to job ads, employment agencies, temp agencies...and found work...now the computer does everything and now robots too. We've created monsters in many ways.

I typed, took shorthand, answered phones, got coffee for the boss(s) and that's how it was for many many years of my work lives.
I know, I performed a lot of various work in the "old days" too, when not everyone got college degrees.

What I had done, and liked, for the longest stretch was preparing layouts of advertising when it was done manually - typesetting, proofreading, layout design. Working long hours and with deadlines, I had no time to take regular computer courses, as other companies had begun going computerized. If the company I was in had begun having on the job training for, it would have been helpful.

When I began getting Mac computer training, I was behind those getting experience and could not get hired in the same field, despite having the background in. I had no experience with a regular PC either and did unrelated work and less pay. I bought a used Mac computer and finally found office work utilizing the Mac, but could never return to a creative field, while things were advancing quickly. I had considered other fields, but again, had to take care of myself and starting over at the beginning is difficult. I worked minor jobs, had some temporary work...became depressed.

Of course, I could have at any time when young, been focused upon having become more prepared for the future...("woulda, shoulda, coulda"), but was wrapped up in maintaining things, dating and relationships. I am a glad to have learned how to use the Mac though, teaching myself a lot besides, at least having utilized for personal use since.

The deal here is, there are such variables involving individual personalities, unexpected situations and cannot really lump everyone into thinking or functioning in the same way - it's not black or white. It is difficult and I know even educated, young people are having a hard time. (Just to mention, while at McDonald's one day with a friend, we saw how things are becoming automated there and will have fewer employees. So much for their ad promoting that they provide the "best first job", which appears there will be little job availability at).

Old 04-11-2018, 07:52 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Heard my mailman talk about it for years. It just got worse and worse. He finally retired the day he was eligible.We have had other mailmen/women on the route. They all seem pretty stressed. Not a job I'd want. I'd rather swing a mop.
It depends on the position the postal worker has. Not all of them deliver mail. Some of the mailmen I've encountered over the years were fun guys who enjoyed their work. It's the sorters constantly dealing with a avalanche of mail in an factory-like environment that may get stressed.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:39 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I don't hate what I do, but I don't really enjoy it. Fortunately, many days are easy enough that I can spend time on these or other fora to pass the time.

I definitely look forward to after hours and weekends.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:39 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,725 times
These are the choices:

No job equals no money resulting in a standard of living without hobbies and children with holes in their clothes and a car that is being neglected for maintenance.

Stupid job with ignorant boss resulting in money and more opportunities for hobbies and children wear decent clothes, dunno about the car, depends on salary if a vehicle can be maintained.

One remaining choice - being self-employed so you have money for hobbies but no time, because when you're not working, you're not making money.

Bonus and never to be expected: if your job is cool and the boss is stellar

Old 04-11-2018, 09:44 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It depends on the position the postal worker has. Not all of them deliver mail. Some of the mailmen I've encountered over the years were fun guys who enjoyed their work. It's the sorters constantly dealing with a avalanche of mail in an factory-like environment that may get stressed.
Our main mail person is a woman and does she work hard and we chat now and then and she's the breadwinner right now as husband is recovering from back surgery...says doing what she does has good benefits and that's her push to keep going, she talks about her problem knees.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:37 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,234 times
I worked in an office, hated every second of it. Worked for the telephone company, constantly watched the seconds go by waiting to just get out of there. Worked sending telegrams, hated it. Since I lived in a neighborhood with a lot of Italian restaurants, I got to know a lot of the owners and one day while walking down the street, a frantic owner came running out in a panic and begged me to please come in and help the waitresses clear dishes and help in anyway I could. Well, I found my job! Eventually became a waitress, LOVED IT. I loved every second of it and would walk to work everyday thinking how I loved my job. I loved the people I waited on, I loved the fast pace, never got bored and never got fat. I loved being able to bring people their food, just the way they wanted it, just exactly when they wanted it. Loved the friendships that develop over the years as you serve another person and loved their gratefulness. It was never about the money, even though I really needed the money. First and foremost for me was serving them, the money came later, they always took care of me. I did it for 45 years and so glad I had that privilege.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:50 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
By playing poker for 'a living'. That 'solution' presents its own set of problems, believe me.
Total dead end. No benefits, bad work environment, heavy competition from others who are also highly motivated to escape life and get paid for it, games changing, computers figuring out games and allowing for bots that play optimally and can not be beat, no creativity, bad hours, overall bad people in the environment, downturns that can last months or years no matter how good you play, regulatory environment that can eliminate your profit in 10 seconds with a rake or time charge change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology