Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 04:21 PM

295 posts, read 353,955 times

Advertisements

Are people consciously aware of their stinginess or is it generally a subconscious action?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 04:25 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvaj125 View Post
Are people consciously aware of their stinginess or is it generally a subconscious action?
I am aware of it. Otherwise I wouldn't be where I am financially. I cannot afford to be not stingy if I want a house and nice vehicle.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:28 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,581 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvaj125 View Post
What do you mean by stingy?

Do you mean the kind of person who doesn't really pay their fair share or tries hard to pay people less than what they charge or are worth, or do you mean people who are careful with their money and buy stuff at the dollar store or garage sales if they can?

Old 04-10-2018, 04:36 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
The only people who think about anyone else's stinginess, in my experience, are people who expect other people to give them things.

I never think about other people being stingy, because I always pay my own way and never expect anyone else to give me anything.

It's only on the mind of people who want something they feel they deserve from other people, and probably don't - in my experience.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:55 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,982,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What do you mean by stingy?

Do you mean the kind of person who doesn't really pay their fair share or tries hard to pay people less than what they charge or are worth, or do you mean people who are careful with their money and buy stuff at the dollar store or garage sales if they can?
...definitely the later, and very conscious of it....never went to college, sent four kids through college with no student loans, retired from the dreaded private sector at 55 and moved to hawai'i, livin' the dream....being stingy ain't a bad thing...

Old 04-10-2018, 05:13 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...definitely the later, and very conscious of it....never went to college, sent four kids through college with no student loans, retired from the dreaded private sector at 55 and moved to hawai'i, livin' the dream....being stingy ain't a bad thing...
Thats not stingy.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:15 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

Quote:
I would call that "frugal" or "careful".

Stingy, in my opinion, has a decidedly negative connotation.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:19 PM

...nah, i'm stingy!....!

Old 04-10-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
...nah, i'm stingy!....!
Stingy, in my opinion, means you don't pay your fair share.

For example, a group of moms and I were taking our middle school kids to Schlitterbahn. One mom couldn't go, so I agreed to pick up her son. We were bringing ice chests for food, which is allowed at Schlitterbahn. The mom greeted me at the door with her son, a coupon for a "buy one full price ticket, get one half price ticket", and the exact amount of cash for the half price ticket for her son. She gave him no money for extra treats/sodas. She had a small sandwich to put in the cooler for him. We were going to be gone all day - get there at opening at 10, leave at 6 at closing. That's stingy. She MUST have known her son would need more food than that, and the normal thing to do with a coupon would be split the savings down the middle, since I was watching her not-too-easy kid all day long. Or better, give me the halfprice coupon as a thank you.

Another time I went to lunch with a group of friends and one of them split an entree with me. When the check came, she gave me the exact amount of half the entree price on the menu. No tip, no tax. ???

So are you like that?

Old 04-10-2018, 05:59 PM

.....my humor obviously escapes you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology