Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:45 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,421,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Maybe it's because some people put so much value to "book learning" they can't believe some people actually can think for themselves.
I mentioned Dawkins because he is typical. I could have listed everyone I could think of who expresses similar ideas.

Chances are, if your ideas are similar to the New Atheists, you were influenced by someone who Dawkins got ideas from, or who got ideas from Dawkins.

People don't make up their ideas out of thin air.

New Atheism is a particular kind of atheism, mostly based on a mid 20th century interpretation of Darwinism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 07:03 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
That would be all of them.
Then it should not be hard for you to link to just one explaining how matter is not made out of matter.

Quote:
Then where did the computer am typing on come from? How did Watkins and Crick discover the structure of DNA?

What you are saying is there are never new ideas.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Did not have time to watch the whole thing, though it is fascinating - especially when narrated by Morgan Freeman.

However, even the subunits of matter have mass - even if at some point the mass becomes so small we have difficulty measuring it. They are still matter.

As to whether an object exists if I am not looking at it, I expect to find my car in the garage where I parked it last night. I cannot move it to the driveway just by looking at the driveway.

So I think matter is made out of matter, not unicorns and pleasant music.
The video is about the idea that matter, and energy, is made out of information, which is what I believe. The idea is sometimes called digital physics, and it considers the universe to be mental, not ultimately "physical."

Some people still have a naive view of physics, in which there is some as yet undiscovered ultimate particle.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:11 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,865,153 times
And some people have no business posing as an expert, or equal to qualified medical doctors, psychiatrists or scientists. Their lack of knowledge or what the definition of what a 'fact' is, or ability to cite anything other than "no one knows" is an obvious giveaway to others.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
The video is about the idea that matter, and energy, is made out of information, which is what I believe. The idea is sometimes called digital physics, and it considers the universe to be mental, not ultimately "physical."

Some people still have a naive view of physics, in which there is some as yet undiscovered ultimate particle.

I do not see any description of digital physics that indicates that the universe is mental. It is just a different explanation of the physical world.

BBC - Earth - The strange link between the human mind and quantum physics

Old 05-03-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I do not see any description of digital physics that indicates that the universe is mental. It is just a different explanation of the physical world.

BBC - Earth - The strange link between the human mind and quantum physics
If you watch the whole video, you will understand what they are saying.

And by the way, the title of the video is "Digital Physics Meets Idealism: The Mental Universe."

Notice the word "mental."

Old 05-03-2018, 08:35 PM

By the way, the ideas in this video are not new. Fredkin (who is in the video) thought of digital physics in the early days of computer science, in the 1960s.

Other scientific ideas are also integrated in the video, which were developed decades ago.

But the video adds more recent ideas and research. I have been interested in these ideas all along, and it seems that more scientists are beginning to think they make sense.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
If you watch the whole video, you will understand what they are saying.

And by the way, the title of the video is "Digital Physics Meets Idealism: The Mental Universe."

Notice the word "mental."
That does not mean there is no physical universe. It is a different way to describe the universe.

That a system might be modelled and simulated digitally does not imply that the intrinsic nature of that system is digital.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:09 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
I mentioned Dawkins because he is typical. I could have listed everyone I could think of who expresses similar ideas.

Chances are, if your ideas are similar to the New Atheists, you were influenced by someone who Dawkins got ideas from, or who got ideas from Dawkins.

New Atheism is a particular kind of atheism, mostly based on a mid 20th century interpretation of Darwinism.
Chances are even better that you're wrong.
Where do you think the 'first' proponents of anything got their ideas when there were no sources to influence them?

Old 05-04-2018, 06:15 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
However, if mindfulness exercises are helpful even in the absence of a belief in a higher power, that would suggest that belief in a higher power is not necessary. Religion certainly uses psychology, even if it does not specifically admit it.
Every single group of people functioning in community, relifiously-themed or otherwise, inherently "uses psychology."

As far as whether belief in [higher power, God, many gods, theory of mind, whatever] is helpful or beneficial, that depends greatly on the individual and their wants, needs, and preferences.

My point isn't whether or not participation in religion is necessary for achievement of personal wellbeing. There is no one answer to that. My point is simply to dispute the claim that psychology and religion are not compatible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology