Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 06:03 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,319,632 times

Advertisements

What's the difference between new atheism and old atheism? If I was an atheist, starting back in the 70's or 80's, am I considered an old atheist, or am I just old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 06:05 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,609,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I said IF YOU WANT TO BE LIKE THE OTHER ANIMALS. Read slower.
Don't try to patronize me. I read just fine. Never claimed I wanted to be like the other animals.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:26 PM

8,215 posts, read 3,412,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
What's the difference between new atheism and old atheism? If I was an atheist, starting back in the 70's or 80's, am I considered an old atheist, or am I just old?
Old atheism has been around since I guess ancient Greece? Not sure.

New Atheism started after DNA was discovered, mid 20th century. They decided that evolution had been figured out. No, it has not been figured out. They are overly impressed with their own theories.

We know for a fact that evolution happened, but no one can explain why, they can only guess.

The guess in evolutionary biology was that errors happen when DNA is being copied, and these errors are sometimes lucky accidents. They help the individual survive, so the errors get passed along. So all of the complex machinery that we call life happened because of a very long chain of errors.

Well it might sound good to you. It sounds good to some people. There is nothing in science to back it up. It's all a matter if you like how it sounds. Richard Dawkins loves how it sounds, because he passionately hates religion.

The evolution by chance theory tells us that there is no intelligence behind nature, because everything can happen by accident. The magic is natural selection. Some things are better than others, some things reproduce more than others.

A very simple idea. A very implausible idea. But it supports a materialist, non-spiritual, view of life, which is what some people are looking for.

Why are they looking for a non-spiritual view of life? Maybe because they mistakenly associate spiritual ideas with dogmatic judgmental religious people they may have known.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Don't try to patronize me. I read just fine. Never claimed I wanted to be like the other animals.
This is what you said: "The best thing about it is that the animals do not argue about whether Christianity, or Islam, or Judaism, or any other religion is superior, and in fact they have never heard of any of the religious cults. It is such a breath of fresh air."

So I said the other animals also don't talk about philosophy or science.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:10 AM

5,450 posts, read 3,903,474 times
Quote:
Even atheists acknowledge that atheism can cause depression.
I'll acknowledge this anytime. I personally was much happier as a religious kid than as an atheistic adult. Does that mean I should reject all that I know to be true/willingly incur a traumatic brain injury/etc? I have studied philosophy for the greater part of the last 13 years (I am 31) and am not one of the 'fashionable atheists' you wish to portray to be the majority....

Old 04-21-2018, 08:16 AM

937 posts, read 742,950 times
Quote:
A very simple idea. A very implausible idea. But it supports a materialist, non-spiritual, view of life, which is what some people are looking for.

Why are they looking for a non-spiritual view of life? Maybe because they mistakenly associate spiritual ideas with dogmatic judgmental religious people they may have known.
Plus probably a lot of people who have not have grown up in a spiritual or religious family have no paradigm for it. They didn't see family members practicing anything and so it just doesn't factor in to their reality, and they never feel a need or draw to pursue it. I know plenty of people who aren't spiritual or religious and they've made it through life no better, no worse than the religious or spiritual people that I know. In some cases, they have fared better and are mostly decent, fine people. Yes, you are right about how a lot of people associate spirituality with religions-dogmas that clearly are rife with human-made concepts that end up oppressing, weakening, and crazy-making the adherents to it.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:57 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,565,657 times
the op premise sounds like victim mentality.

monotheism - faith in exactly one god.

polytheism - faith in multipls gods.

atheism - faith that god/s never exist.

agnosticism - neither faith supporting nor opposing the belief in deities.

this has nothing to do with science.

the scientific-method is a discipline to teach us how to be logical, methodical problem solvers.
the methods involved include:
  • creating a hypothesis
  • doing initial research
  • expanding to a testable thesis
  • staging an experiment
  • setting controlled variables
  • analysing results
  • drawing conclusions

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 04-21-2018 at 09:09 AM..

Old 04-21-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I'll acknowledge this anytime. I personally was much happier as a religious kid than as an atheistic adult. Does that mean I should reject all that I know to be true/willingly incur a traumatic brain injury/etc? I have studied philosophy for the greater part of the last 13 years (I am 31) and am not one of the 'fashionable atheists' you wish to portray to be the majority....
No, of course you should not reject all you know and become religious, just to make yourself happier! That would not be possible anyway, since we can't ignore things we know to be true.

My point is the things you "know" have not been demonstrated by science. That is a myth.

We know that evolution happens, and therefore biblical creation myths are just myths.

We know that we need a functioning brain to interact with this world.

But we do NOT know what causes evolution, and we do NOT know what kind of machine the brain is or how it works.

Materialist/atheists assume the brain is some kind of computer, with no wireless capabilities and not connected to any higher order mental dimensions. Why should they assume that, when the brain is mostly not understood?

When I tell an atheist I think the brain has wireless capabilities -- after all, our phones can do it, why should it be impossible for our brains -- they tell me no wireless machinery has been discovered in the brain.

So, if scientists have not discovered something, it can't be possible?

Theories about the brain being some kind of receiver (in addition to possibly being an insanely complicated computer) are just as plausible (and to me, much more plausible) than the materialist concept.

And regarding evolution -- we have no reason to accept all the old 20th century ideas about DNA. Some of them have already been proven wrong. More recently, scientists have observed cells doing all kinds of intelligent things, and modifying their own DNA. Cells also correct copying errors in DNA.

So we have NO reason to think all changes in DNA are errors and accidents! We already know they aren't.

There is also the new field of epigenetics.

Materialist/atheists are stuck in an outdated mythology.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
Plus probably a lot of people who have not have grown up in a spiritual or religious family have no paradigm for it. They didn't see family members practicing anything and so it just doesn't factor in to their reality, and they never feel a need or draw to pursue it. I know plenty of people who aren't spiritual or religious and they've made it through life no better, no worse than the religious or spiritual people that I know. In some cases, they have fared better and are mostly decent, fine people. Yes, you are right about how a lot of people associate spirituality with religions-dogmas that clearly are rife with human-made concepts that end up oppressing, weakening, and crazy-making the adherents to it.
The majority of people probably do not have an innate spiritual drive. Maybe only 20% of us do. The rest are just as well off without religion or mystical traditions. When they go to church, they just do it to fit in with the community. Now days, there is much less need for that.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
the op premise sounds like victim mentality.

monotheism - faith in exactly one god.

polytheism - faith in multipls gods.

atheism - faith that god/s never exist.

agnosticism - neither faith supporting nor opposing the belief in deities.

this has nothing to do with science.

the scientific-method is a discipline to teach us how to be logical, methodical problem solvers.
the methods involved include:
  • creating a hypothesis
  • doing initial research
  • expanding to a testable thesis
  • staging an experiment
  • setting controlled variables
  • analysing results
  • drawing conclusions
So what? There is nothing wrong with the scientific method, but it tells us nothing at all about things that have not yet been researched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology