Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 07:10 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that there are some rather brilliant people in this Psych forum (not much of a surprise as CD has FOUR MILLION users), and I wonder if they would advise me? I posted this inquiry in another thread in February but I really didn't ask the right questions. I still may not, but everything I got back then was helpful, so here again are the course prerequisites:

26 hrs.:
5447 (4) Adv Cor Methods & Factor Analysis
5480 (4) Experimental Design
5485 (4) Psychometric & Item Resp
5490 (4) Computer Modeling
5496 (4) Qual Research
5353 (3) Seminar Cognitive Neuroscience
5356 (3) Seminar Cog & Cog Neuroscience

Looking at the course descriptions, really seems like a lot of math, rather than literary. Neuroscience seems more like medical school than just psychology. (That probably sounds rather stupid but I'm not going to pretend to a knowledge I don't know). The thing is, I want to study a science. Almost all my formal training is in the arts and I want to develop a different perspective.

I did this before, and I went to law school and studied business. I've never regretted it, since I learned a lot, versus knowing nothing which was the way I was when I started. The people I met, the professors and fellow students, provided such a rich experience and it was worth every penny, just to interact with them. I was not the greatest but I certainly enjoyed it.

Your thoughts? Wonder if I can hack the math.

PS: I've already taken a Qualitative Research course. The Quantitative one is the scary one w/r/t math, I believe!! The Seminars are probably doable. And the designation "Computer Modeling" doesn't scare me. But the first three on the list--Yikes!!

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 04-21-2018 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 07:31 PM

Article on Neuroscience (not just a branch of biology):
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/248680.php

My special subfield:
Quote:
Cognitive neuroscience - the study of higher cognitive functions that exist in humans, and their underlying neural basis. Cognitive neuroscience draws from linguistics, psychology, and cognitive science. Cognitive neuroscientists can take two broad directions: behavioral/experimental or computational/modeling, the aim being to understand the nature of cognition from a neural point of view.
The "experimental" part threw me at first. I'm not going to participate in anything that requires experimenting on animals, but luckily my university doesn't have that kind of lab here.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 04-21-2018 at 07:44 PM..

Old 04-21-2018, 08:13 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,418,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I've noticed that there are some rather brilliant people in this Psych forum (not much of a surprise as CD has FOUR MILLION users), and I wonder if they would advise me? I posted this inquiry in another thread in February but I really didn't ask the right questions. I still may not, but everything I got back then was helpful, so here again are the course prerequisites:

26 hrs.:
5496 (4) Qual Research

Looking at the course descriptions, really seems like a lot of math, rather than literary. Neuroscience seems more like medical school than just psychology. (That probably sounds rather stupid but I'm not going to pretend to a knowledge I don't know). The thing is, I want to study a science. Almost all my formal training is in the arts and I want to develop a different perspective.

I did this before, and I went to law school and studied business. I've never regretted it, since I learned a lot, versus knowing nothing which was the way I was when I started. The people I met, the professors and fellow students, provided such a rich experience and it was worth every penny, just to interact with them. I was not the greatest but I certainly enjoyed it.

PS: I've already taken a Qualitative Research course. The Quantitative one is the scary one w/r/t math, I believe!! The Seminars are probably doable. And the designation "Computer Modeling" doesn't scare me. But the first three on the list--Yikes!!
There is a lot of math in psychology also.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:16 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,418,723 times
Quote:
Article on Neuroscience (not just a branch of biology):
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/248680.php

My special subfield:

The "experimental" part threw me at first. I'm not going to participate in anything that requires experimenting on animals, but luckily my university doesn't have that kind of lab here.
You can do experiments on human subjects using brain imaging. Not always necessary to destroy parts of the brain anymore.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
You can do experiments on human subjects using brain imaging. Not always necessary to destroy parts of the brain anymore.
Oh, that's that fMRI.

And this would tie in with my training in music:

Cognitive neuroscience of music
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogn...ience_of_music

Quote:
This strong association between musician status and gray matter differences supports the notion that musicians' brains show use-dependent structural changes.[56] Due to the distinct differences in several brain regions, it is unlikely that these differences are innate but rather due to the long-term acquisition and repetitive rehearsal of musical skills.
I won't not be able to do this. What a potential train wreck! Oh well!!

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 04-21-2018 at 08:38 PM..

Old 04-21-2018, 09:31 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,920 times
The music connection is not one to be laughed at with cognitive abilities. I have a relative with Alzheimer's, so I find these types of articles fascinating: https://www.alzheimers.net/2014-07-2...ntia-patients/

Old 04-23-2018, 09:09 AM

652 posts, read 873,884 times
Quote:

26 hrs.:
5496 (4) Qual Research

You sound like a professional student rather than someone who wants to master or gain a full understanding of the human condition.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
You sound like a professional student rather than someone who wants to master or gain a full understanding of the human condition.
I don't consider the phrase "professional student" to be pejorative, but I'm a violin and piano teacher, business owner, and author.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:39 PM

292 posts, read 244,863 times
WoW, never used your law degree? Did you get aid or assistance for law school?

Otherwise, oh my, your loans must have been HUGE for all that schooling

Old 05-24-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celiene61 View Post
WoW, never used your law degree? Did you get aid or assistance for law school?

Otherwise, oh my, your loans must have been HUGE for all that schooling
I never, here or elsewhere, indicated I have a law degree. I went to law school, three different universities actually, but didn't finish. Didn't flunk out just didn't want to spend 80 hours a week, writing billing every 10 minutes. Lots of attorneys make 100K/year but most don't, I think it's safe to say. Studies of job happiness indicate that legal workers are somewhere near the least happy and musicians, the most. Depends on how much tedium you can endure.

I've never paid for school; I've always gotten scholarships or assistantships. Otherwise I wouldn't go. The benefits in a doctoral program with a TA are substantial: tuition waiver, living expenses ($300/week) and insurance, including dental.

When I finish the EdD in Educational Technology, which is really in support of online business interests, I'm applying for a PhD program in Cognitive Neuroscience. I'm more committed to doing this than ever. I've begun reading in the area of cognitive neuroscience, specifically how it relates to string pedagogy.

I'd attempt a doctorate in music but there's a problem: after chemo for Stage 1 ovarian cancer I was diagnosed with degenerative osteoarthritis. I have two fingers with joint damage (see photos, below) and the admonition is "no repetitive motions." Not compatible with the many hours of violin, viola and piano playing required for a music degree.

It has not been an easy adjustment. But one has to look toward the future. Unless, of course, the egomaniac in the Whitehouse destroys the planet in a nuclear winter. One has to proceed as if that won't happen, though it very well might.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180524_122801_kindlephoto-6311324.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	198314

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180524_123400_kindlephoto-6226737.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	198315

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 05-24-2018 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology