Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 02:44 PM

506 posts, read 510,208 times

Advertisements

They have an extremely high chance of losing and end up being in handcuffs anyway. And have additional charges.

If they are going to fight the law, why not fight in court, rather than police and end up looking bad when in court?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 04:22 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Maybe they're high?
Maybe they're angry?
Maybe they don't want to make the cops job easy for him?
Maybe they figure they'll get SOME small justice by resisting, even if it only makes them feel good a short time.

I don't believe the law and justice are the same...

Old 04-23-2018, 04:23 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
High, drunk, angry, immature....stupid.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:32 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
It takes very little to be called "resistance". Even trying to pull your shirt back on because you've been manhandled is "resisting" - see the latest news.

I'm convinced that in many cases cops are grabbing suspects and someone is just trying to shake themselves loose like 'hey, it's okay, you don't have to grab me' and that is misinterpreted. Anything other than doing the little kid limp noodle trick seems to be resisting. I think innocent people who aren't used to being in situations like this are running high on adrenaline and not really thinking clearly or hearing everything....and LEO don't give ANY room at all before they go 100% SWAT team...so people get hurt.

I imagine myself somehow innocent in such a situation and my mind would be going 100 different directions - totally scared and confused, maybe mad because I don't understand what's happening or that it's wrong that it's happening.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:14 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Instinct, mostly. You're on the verge of losing your freedom--why wouldn't you resist, in the moment? You're not exactly thinking of a future court date as the cops converge and the adrenaline rushes. Personally, I don't really respect the police (the IQ of the smartest police officer out there is probably 40 points lower than mine), and if I ever found myself in the position of being arrested for a felony-level crime (I have a couple misdemeanors under my belt from my early 20s, but nothing serious), I'm sure I'd be resisting, too. Of course, the goal is to never find oneself in such circumstances. Anyway, police aren't exactly universally respected, you might be surprised to learn.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:16 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Instinct, mostly. You're on the verge of losing your freedom--why wouldn't you resist, in the moment? You're not exactly thinking of a future court date as the cops converge and the adrenaline rushes. Personally, I don't really respect the police (the IQ of the smartest police officer out there is probably 40 points lower than mine), and if I ever found myself in the position of being arrested for a felony-level crime (I have a couple misdemeanors under my belt from my early 20s, but nothing serious), I'm sure I'd be resisting, too. Of course, the goal is to never find oneself in such circumstances. Anyway, police aren't exactly universally respected, you might be surprised to learn.
<sigh> Your lack of "respect" for police seems a lot more like uninformed bias than any considered opinion. Perhaps you might consider entering one of the "ride along" programs that give a view different than what the media and BLM push.

From direct conversations, the #1 cause is drugs. Not only can that mean simple resisting, but superhuman strength. A report of one local arrest was of a woman weighing about 120lbs that it took three officers to subdue - in the median of a major thoroughfare - just to keep her from running into traffic.

Alcohol in this case is simply another drug. "Bad" drunks resist and try to fight.

Knowledge of other outstanding more serious warrants can make someone being arrested for even a minor offense desperate and panicked.

Youth and stupidity. Some people don't understand that you don't "win" a fight with a police officer. Whatever resistance or blows will be repaid by the courts, in addition to having the cuffs a little tighter.

Adrenaline and lack of control of emotions.

The news media feeds on stories of the lurid and unusual, especially if it can create a heightened emotional response. The representation of police gets skewed as a result. Those who don't have a high IQ fall for it.

At the bottom line, an officer on duty wants to come home in one piece and get to eventually retire. In the course of the job, they have to confront the dregs of society on an ongoing basis, as well as normal citizens. To survive, they must recognize that ANY person they come in contact with is not to be trusted, no matter how nice. Ted Bundy was eventually caught in a traffic stop.

There are codes of conduct that must be followed, or risk disciplinary action, loss of job, or even incarceration with people who the officer might have arrested. When everyone is running away from a scene, police HAVE to run towards it to save others and protect people who "don't respect" them.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:19 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
I think it's instinct. If you're being held down and are going to be under someone else's control in a moment, you're probably going to struggle.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:45 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
fine to resist, as long as you don't mind a knee on your cheek. You'll get the respect you deserve.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:58 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Does this explain it for you, OP?

Old 04-23-2018, 10:08 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Because they are stupid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology