Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 03:39 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Valid excuse for what?

Copying answers from the back of the book on an algebra assignment in 9th grade?

Shooting a man in Reno, just to watch him die?

Context matters.
/thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 03:48 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I am old now, and I made mistakes in judgement in my youth, for various reasons that weren’t my fault. Thankfully, my past led to the person I am today, with successful children and no brushes with the law.

We learn by our mistakes. If I could go back and change things, I would, but that is not the way life works.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:17 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,011,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
Like, my conscious did not know better, yes, but that was only because my subconscious was making sure that little of the things that were in it would seep into my conscious. Then again, it's true that I didn't know better in one aspect: I didn't know that I didn't have to be fake to be happy, that's the reason I made most of my mistakes, not inherent stupidity.
I only made many of my mistakes not because I was especially stupid, but because I thought it was necessary to be fake in order to be happy and not hurt others.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:34 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Valid excuse for what?

Copying answers from the back of the book on an algebra assignment in 9th grade?

Shooting a man in Reno, just to watch him die?

Context matters.
Exactly my thoughts. Yesterday I was reading a story on Facebook (posted via George Takei's page), about a sorority girl who was filmed making racist comments - using the "n-word," among other things. Someone in the comment section said "We were all young and stupid once; who didn't do something like this in their past?" First of all, she was a legally-adult college student, not a small child. Second of all, even when I was in elementary school, I never went off on racist rants or used offensive slurs. If you're raised properly, that sort of behavior is NEVER accepted, and your vocabulary shouldn't even include those words. So being young is not an excuse (or explanation) in that situation, and clearly she wasn't taught why it isn't okay.

That being said, there is actually a neurological component to the "young and stupid" argument. According to one article I just pulled up: "The prefrontal cortex, which handles reasoning, grows during the pre-teen years. But it is pruned back during adolescence, increasing impulsive, risk-taking behavior—and susceptibility to addiction." So we ARE more likely to take risks at that age (pre-20ish), without considering the consequences as most adults would. That's probably why I didn't think smoking was a big deal at 15, and figured I'd just quit before it affected my health. Today @ age 41 I would know better, but unfortunately the addiction took hold before I reached that stage of development.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-03-2018 at 07:43 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 09:03 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,011,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
I only made many of my mistakes not because I was especially stupid, but because I thought it was necessary to be fake in order to be happy and not hurt others.
So yeah, in my case, the real and sane me was there the entire time, I just thought I had to not only fake dumbness, but also delude myself I was actually like that.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:39 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Some young adults will try to excuse poor choices in their behavior to, "I was young and dumb."

Is that a valid excuse? Or is it a smoke screen?
yeah, what is wrong with that excuse? I did dumb stuff I would not ever do again. Because I was young, dumb, and didn't care about consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology