Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Compared to other forums you frequent, how do you characterize the overall atmosphere on CD?
Less Positive / More Negative 56 49.56%
About the same 30 26.55%
Less Negative / More Positive 27 23.89%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 07:44 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times

Advertisements

I think the overall negativity is a little above average on CD but nowhere near extreme, compared to the many other forums I frequent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 09:20 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,025,823 times
More negative than what I have been accustomed to, probably due to only a relatively few, but highly obnoxious, members who feel they need to pick apart the OP, no matter what the subject or question. Sad to have such a strong need to feel superior. You can't get taller by pushing the other person down.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:04 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I've been where a while. It's gotten better than it used to be, but there are still some really rough people here, and we've got our share of trolls and such too. I'm on another forum, and it is far more positive and much nicer, but it's also far less active, and so there is just a lot less to engage with there. It's become a matter of quality or quantity.

I have to laugh because with the Toronto incident, many of my friends on social media are like, "OMG did you know about this incel thing?? I'd never heard of it..." and having been here for years, um yeah...I'll just say I'd heard of it, and similar ideologies. Nothing new.

But it's one thing when things get feisty in emotionally charged subject areas like Relationships, Politics, etc. I've been shocked how folks here can even get downright nasty talking about darn near anything. Cat food for crying out loud.

But I've also made a few "net friends" here who are awesome. They make it worthwhile.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:20 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Outside of Quora I don't visit any other forums. Perhaps I should.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:40 AM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
I consider all three of the forums I visit to be pretty negative: this, 2+2, and a Buffalo-area blog/comment section. Not even sure how I'd rank them, though I imagine all of them to be more negative than 'the norm'. They're also all frequented by intelligent people, so I always find myself returning in spite of the drawbacks (although I haven't been to 2+2 in a while--had visited that site regularly for years).

Old 05-01-2018, 04:06 PM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
hmmmm....I'm not on many forums but have found this one fun and informative. Yes, there are a few 'regulars' who are nasty and have a bit of an attitude, but you can ignore them. I had a tussle with a few when I made an ill-considered hillybilly comment (it was supposed to be funny) and I had to apologize more than once. The moderator was even like, jeez, give it a rest already.
A local news forum where I live will simply not publish your comments if they don't like what you have to say (much is subjective).
Some of the general forums are interesting and funny.....

Old 05-01-2018, 04:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
The main difference between city-data and any other online forum or group I frequent or have frequented in the past is that it's a more broad cross-section of people. All other online communities I've participated in are far more targeted, or deal with very specific niche communities (military spouses, professionals in a given field, people in a particular age group, certain niche interests). While they're not all tiny, most are smaller and its participants are not so all over the place in terms of what brought them to a given forum.

Here, there are loads more people with less in common, which can make for more interesting and enlightening interactions, but can also lead to conflict. It's not depressing or "not depressing," it just is kind of the nature of the beast.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

I have to laugh because with the Toronto incident, many of my friends on social media are like, "OMG did you know about this incel thing?? I'd never heard of it..." and having been here for years, um yeah...I'll just say I'd heard of it, and similar ideologies. Nothing new.

Right?

I'm raising my eyebrows at news outlets on NPR being all, "What is "incel?" What you need to know," because I'm like, "Geez, people, spend about three minutes googling and reading a bunch of angry messageboard dudes' posts, and you'll know more than you ever wanted to know..." But then I realize that by participating in forums populated by a pretty broad cross section of the population, I get a lot more exposure to the sorts of things people who don't interact with different types of people online or in life don't really come across.

As far as "net friends," I had a few messageboards I posted on regularly in the early to mid-2000s, when I was in my twenties and new to forums, where a number of IRL friendships and meetups and relationships and such sprang up. It was great, for that particular time and place, but now, where I am in life, I keep far more boundaries up between myself and fellow online forum posters, for the most part, when it comes to anonymous forums.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:46 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The main difference between city-data and any other online forum or group I frequent or have frequented in the past is that it's a more broad cross-section of people. All other online communities I've participated in are far more targeted, or deal with very specific niche communities (military spouses, professionals in a given field, people in a particular age group, certain niche interests). While they're not all tiny, most are smaller and its participants are not so all over the place in terms of what brought them to a given forum.

Here, there are loads more people with less in common, which can make for more interesting and enlightening interactions, but can also lead to conflict. It's not depressing or "not depressing," it just is kind of the nature of the beast.
I pretty much agree with this, although I think this forum is much less cliquish than some of the gaming forums I used to participate in. Plus I tend to stay away from P & C because I do sometimes find myself getting ... not depressed but perhaps worried or frightened at the amount of ignorance on display there.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:46 AM

1,348 posts, read 792,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I pretty much agree with this, although I think this forum is much less cliquish than some of the gaming forums I used to participate in. Plus I tend to stay away from P & C because I do sometimes find myself getting ... not depressed but perhaps worried or frightened at the amount of ignorance on display there.
The Politics and Controversies forum is pretty crazy. There are a few smart regulars on it but, overall, there are too many very young, naive types with the attention spans of a fly. So, it's near impossible to have a cohesive dialogue.

Another problem over there is that it's obvious some are posting on it b/c they're being paid to do so. A particular political party is trying desperately to become relevant again and they have deployed paid and lame trolls all over internet boards. What a joke. They deserve to stay irrelevant with tactics like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology