Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 03:03 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times

Advertisements

Not in Vermont!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 04:18 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think we'll have to go to the dictionary for this one:

"Having qualities or appearance traditionally associated with women, especially delicacy and prettiness."

I'm a man who is "usually neat and clean" and I'm not at all feminine.
I guess this works if you are into stereotypes. My definition of masculine would also be “usually clean and neat.” But the title of the thread was about feminine.

I guess it is a personal failing, but I really don’t like to compartmentalize behavior into masculine and feminine. I prefer to think of behavior as human. Men tend to be more violent and violent more often, but I would not classify violence as a masculine behavior because women exhibit violent behavior as well.

“We” don’t need to go to a dictionary, but “you” apparently felt compelled to do so.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Men tend to be more violent and violent more often, but I would not classify violence as a masculine behavior because women exhibit violent behavior as well.
I guess Lorena Bobbitt ripped that myth to shreds.

Quote:
“We” don’t need to go to a dictionary, but “you” apparently felt compelled to do so.
I'm not compelled to do anything. I'm posting on the forum because it's a form of entertainment. I'm also watching TV and chatting with friends on the phone as I type.

Please do not feel compelled to engage me in a debate about why people post things on forums. I doubt many are compulsive posters. Many are just people like me who are easily amused.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:06 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,392 times
Quote:
I guess Lorena Bobbitt ripped that myth to shreds.

I'm not compelled to do anything. I'm posting on the forum because it's a form of entertainment. I'm also watching TV and chatting with friends on the phone as I type.

Please do not feel compelled to engage me in a debate about why people post things on forums. I doubt many are compulsive posters. Many are just people like me who are easily amused.
You answered me so I returned an answer. Yes, you do seem easily amused and so very talented at multi-tasking. Have a good evening.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:23 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Just a thought. I noticed that the great majority of gay or bisexual men I saw were effeminate, while all the bisexual and lesbian women I have met are actually very feminine. IMO, the bisexual/lesbian women I've met were all actually even more feminine than your typical straight woman.

And the most tomboyish women I have met are all straight.
Not my experience at all re the women you mentioned. Totally opposite actually.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
You answered me so I returned an answer. Yes, you do seem easily amused and so very talented at multi-tasking. Have a good evening.
But do tell me if you felt compelled to reply to my post.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:40 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I spent many years in the Marine Corps and (I'm female) every one of my Drill Instructors were kicked out for being dykes. (except one who was never promoted because she wouldn't play the games) Plenty of my female counterparts were also lesbos. I was friends with them as far as any coworker. I got invited to a lot of parties, private or otherwise. If I went I took a guy with me (the guys were usually happy to go). I'm struggling to think of a single one of them that was particularly feminine. Not seeing it. After the Corps I went into the Air Guard and there was one obvious one who was fairly masculine. OH also another one who married her girlfriend and she was a firefighter, a good one. Masculine.

I'm not going to be able to agree with you on the feminine theory.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:42 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Quote:
Gay women divide into "pitchers" and "catchers." The pitchers are masculine, the catchers usually feminine. They are playing the same roles as respectively men and women.

Bi women I've dated were feminine, but no more than straight women.

There is an interesting type of gay woman called a "bull dyke." They often wear biker clothing and ask you to address them using men's names, usually a male variant of their true name.

I've met gay men where feminine, others who were masculine. I suspect they too play make and female roles in their courting behavior.

What planet.. and century are YOU in?

Most of that old-fashioned role-playing crap went out with the advent of modern Feminism... and the introduction of power tools! But truthfully, more lesbians are gender-nonconforming (that's the nice way to say 'butch') than straights.

Seems the old phrase "Pure drivel drives out ordinary drivel" still applies.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:00 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m a female, and I understand we’re all wired in different ways, but something I don’t get about lesbians is, why are some lesbians attracted to lesbians who look and act like men? I get being attracted to other women, but if you are attracted to a woman who looks and acts like a man, why not just be with a man? Is it a fear of the plumbing, or what?

I cannot see any similar behavior in male gay people. When have you ever seen a male couple in which one of them dresses and acts like a woman?
This is an honest and accurate perception. And I don't know why either, except to say that women don't use 'looks' for romantic attraction as much as men do? Heck, my girlfriend is married to an ogre.. nice man, asexual, but painfully unattractive. She has three grandchildren and.....wait....
She's gay.
And I am SO NOT butch..??

Never mind.
I have no idea what's going on.

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 05-07-2018 at 09:17 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
What planet.. and century are YOU in?
Thank you for your insulting comment. Clearly I from a polite planet and you are not. Please refrain from the ad hominem attacks in the future.

Argue the ideas, don't demean others who disagree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Seems the old phrase "Pure drivel drives out ordinary drivel" still applies.
I'm considering the source of your comment. PKB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology