Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:21 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Thank you for your insulting comment. Clearly I from a polite planet and you are not. Please refrain from the ad hominem attacks in the future.

Argue the ideas, don't demean others who disagree with you.

I'm considering the source of your comment. PKB

Drop the mic lovehound.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 09:01 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Quote:
Thank you for your insulting comment. Clearly I from a polite planet and you are not. Please refrain from the ad hominem attacks in the future.

Argue the ideas, don't demean others who disagree with you.
Actually I didn't mean to insult you but your post was so filled with what could almost be considered 'offensive' terminology nowadays that I was shocked to hear it, and replied with disbelief more than anything.

See, I am NOT one of those people who screams 'I am offended' at every disagreeable or contrary statement I hear, nor do I go running to the 'authorities' that I need a safe space..right now, dammit!
I just whip out my response, and let the chips fly.
Sorry one hit you in the eye.

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 05-07-2018 at 09:14 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 09:52 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Just a thought. I noticed that the great majority of gay or bisexual men I saw were effeminate, while all the bisexual and lesbian women I have met are actually very feminine. IMO, the bisexual/lesbian women I've met were all actually even more feminine than your typical straight woman.

And the most tomboyish women I have met are all straight.
Really? The lesbian women I've met are as butch as they come. Their hair is nearly shaved off, they wear boxy clothing, and they seem like masculine females with the exception that when they are upset they shriek and cry like little girls. They're not the athletic tomboys types, they are just manly.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Gay women divide into "pitchers" and "catchers." The pitchers are masculine, the catchers usually feminine. They are playing the same roles as respectively men and women.

Bi women I've dated were feminine, but no more than straight women.

There is an interesting type of gay woman called a "bull dyke." They often wear biker clothing and ask you to address them using men's names, usually a male variant of their true name.

I've met gay men where feminine, others who were masculine. I suspect they too play make and female roles in their courting behavior.

I think you are right, that tomboys are often just straight women who affect that appearance, my guess is just to lack of concern. Also women can appear feminine and strip down an auto engine in 15 minutes!

Mmm, no.

My kids' godparents are our best friends, a middle-aged lesbian couple, one of whom happens to be the pastor at our church. They are tomboyish/butch and slightly less tomboyish/butch.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:44 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
I just whip out my response, and let the chips fly. Sorry one hit you in the eye.
No prob. We all post in heated manner sometimes. Sometimes we feel the need to respond just because. I'm cool.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:51 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Me neither. Not sure where they are finding these feminine lesbians, but all the ones I see look like bikers. I guess there are some who are feminine, but the majority are a little manly IMO.
Have you considered the possibility that you encounter feminine lesbians all the time but do not know they are lesbians? I remember years ago, being invited to my then lesbian realtor's home for a party. We liked her and decided to attend. The house was full of beautiful and very feminine women who I would have never in a million years thought were lesbian. I guess because the "butch' more masculine women were the ones I always saw on the news or portrayed by the media, I just assumed the vast majority were stereotypical "butch" types. LIve and learn.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:59 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
How do you know the feminine ones are lesbians?

Because they mention it on the TV show. Of course they may not be gay in real life but they are portraying one on TV.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:01 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Didn't you get the memo? Being a poster on City Data makes everyone an expert on everything.
Thanks for my first chuckle of the day.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:21 AM

19,630 posts, read 12,222,208 times
For some reason I attract attention from lesbians (I am straight), always the same type. Longish hair, medium build, no makeup, men's jeans, boots. One of them serenaded me with her guitar at a park. Guess I am supposed to be a catcher.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:59 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Have you considered the possibility that you encounter feminine lesbians all the time but do not know they are lesbians? I remember years ago, being invited to my then lesbian realtor's home for a party. We liked her and decided to attend. The house was full of beautiful and very feminine women who I would have never in a million years thought were lesbian. I guess because the "butch' more masculine women were the ones I always saw on the news or portrayed by the media, I just assumed the vast majority were stereotypical "butch" types. LIve and learn.
That's a good point. Mere observation is not a good test for determining a person's sexual preference in many cases. Unless a feminine lesbian tells you she's lesbian, how would you know? Even a very masculine looking woman is not necessarily gay. Some women are just unconventional as are some men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
For some reason I attract attention from lesbians (I am straight), always the same type. Longish hair, medium build, no makeup, men's jeans, boots. One of them serenaded me with her guitar at a park. Guess I am supposed to be a catcher.
I've been asked to dance by men (I'm a man) although it was in a gay night club (Studio 54) so I guess that could be expected. I was flattered and I politely declined. — Particularly note that I'm pretty close to the masculine end of the scale and was thought to be gay so there's an example of sorts that appearance is no indicator of sexual orientation, although in this specific case where I was was an indicator of sorts.

Is wearing jewelry a male indicator of anything? I wear more than most men or it's more obvious. My date was telling me the other night that men don't wear jewelry. However she's kind of not this culture (she's Asian) so probably that has no significance in American culture.

Mostly you can't tell somebody is gay unless they tell you, or they're doing a PDA which makes it obvious (same sex kissing on lips that isn't a peck or air kiss).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology