Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 01:34 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

I hate eating, period. I know weird but..

Ok, so of late like last yr or so, have eaten 1x/day mostly (a big meal), so large that I will need not eat again prior to bed, much later-- then immediately need to brush teeth & use bathroom 'to get asap food out' (not vomiting but..) & thus 'cleanup my body/teeth' -- as if I didn't eat at all.

I know; Bulemia, Binge Eating, OCD & Orthorexia ('Perfect Eating' Disorder) all come to mind. But what is this & anyone have this?

Some women I know eat & purge (Bulemia) & others can't stand food in teeth & so brush asap, etc. but I, as a guy, have it ALL, haha. Tho its not funny.

TY everyone..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 02:05 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Ok, so of late like last yr or so, have eaten 1x/day mostly (a big meal), so large that I will need not eat again prior to bed, much later-- then immediately need to brush teeth & use bathroom 'to get asap food out' (not vomiting but..) & thus 'cleanup my body/teeth' -- as if I didn't eat at all.
Well you described your situation fully here. I won't lecture you on poor eating habits but I don't see any serious problem, nor do I see a psychological problem.

I could call what you are experiencing "toothpaste syndrome." Thinking of your alimentary canal as a long, convoluted tube, as you add more to the front end (your stomach) you increase pressure on your back end (colon) and the increased pressure causes a need or desire to defecate. This is just simple physiology. Another example of conservation of mass: what goes in must come out... Later. In direct terms when you eat food you increase pressure in your abdominal cavity which forces evacuation of some of the content. You are operating your alimentary canal on a 24 hour cycle.

Not meaning to lecture, but nutritionists say that we should strive to eat maybe 5 meals a day. Not only will this prevent a bloated feeling, but it stresses your digestive system less. Think of your pancreas needing to squirt all that insulin at one big burst. Think of your blood sugar level.

There is also a cancer connection, that bacteria produce poisons in your alimentary canal, particularly in your colon, and digested food sitting there exposes your tissues to poisons and carcinogens for a longer time, increasing your risk for colon cancer.

That said, I don't see any psychiatric issues for you since you are not regurgitating. If you start that then you have a problem. What you have is poor nutritional habits, and you are going against the proper functioning of your physiology. That is of course your choice to make.

For the record I'm not the greatest, I generally eat breakfast food about noon, then eat dinner about 7 pm. I'm doing two meals per day. I love to linger over my coffee all morning long, now still sipping coffee after my mid day meal. When my food settles I'm headed to the gym for a workout. I don't have the greatest habits either (except for working out).

BTW there is a "why" behind the "what." Humans were in prehistoric times (and in evolutionary terms) hunters and gatherers who found food and ate it throughout the day. We evolved in times of food scarcity and natural selection favored those who were able to live on many small meals.

We have a modern day example (in evolutionary terms) with Native Americans (mistakenly called "Indians") who did not encounter modern food for the most part until the last few centuries (nothing in evolutionary terms). Upon being faced with modern foods many NAs have serious problems including obesity and diabetes. And worse, liquor exacerbates the problem for some of them. It's literally true that NAs are not suited for "fire water."

We all face the problem: do what we want or do what is healthful? We should all make lifestyle choices based upon how long we want to live, how healthy we want to be, and what quality of life do we desire? Probably very few of us make all the right decisions. My philosophy is to make most of the important decisions the right ones. I'm getting better at that as I get older and have more experience on not making the right decisions, then switching them to the right decisions.

Last edited by Lovehound; 05-07-2018 at 02:20 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 02:44 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
If I remember correctly, you also have issues with alcohol. Too much alcohol. I strongly recommend therapy for you, you seem to be all over the place with your posts on City Data.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:08 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
If I remember correctly, you also have issues with alcohol. Too much alcohol. I strongly recommend therapy for you, you seem to be all over the place with your posts on City Data.
Eve, tho true to extent (cut down alot on wine already as FYI), the eating is very clean & healthy foods.

I really try to eat this way to insure good chow intake, while only letting insulin come once/day rather than little surges thru out the day via small meals all day long. It is Intermittent Fasting in simple form.

Eating every 24 hrs was recommened by a doc yrs ago & I honed it to this type thing.

The poster above Eve was very good w/ their review, & I still think I'm alone in this type eating pattern & so on.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:57 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:

I know; Bulemia, Binge Eating, OCD & Orthorexia ('Perfect Eating' Disorder) all come to mind. But what is this & anyone have this?

Some women I know eat & purge (Bulemia) & others can't stand food in teeth & so brush asap, etc. but I, as a guy, have it ALL, haha. Tho its not funny.

TY everyone..

We've talked on other threads....have you discussed this with your therapist?? If not you need to do so.

Cd folks cannot diagnose your medical or psychological issues so be wary of recommendations...

Old 05-07-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Eve, tho true to extent (cut down alot on wine already as FYI), the eating is very clean & healthy foods.

I really try to eat this way to insure good chow intake, while only letting insulin come once/day rather than little surges thru out the day via small meals all day long. It is Intermittent Fasting in simple form.

Eating every 24 hrs was recommened by a doc yrs ago & I honed it to this type thing.

The poster above Eve was very good w/ their review, & I still think I'm alone in this type eating pattern & so on.
You can Google what is a reasonable alcohol intake online and make your own lifestyle decision. I was surprised when I asked my many friends how much alcohol they consume and discovered most of them were special occasions to none at all. I decided to quit buying alcohol for home use and when I run out I'm going to try a plan, drink alcohol only when on dates and limit my intake to whatever my date drinks. YMMV

I don't know what the heck kind of doctor that is, but ALL the dietary advice says we are better off insulin wise to eat 3-5 smaller meals throughout the day. It also goes against my own intuition and dietary knowledge that there would be any benefit of eating just one meal a day. I'm sorry to say, that just sounds crazy to me. Again, your life, your choice. I think you are flat wrong!

Thanks for the compliment on my post. It was good advice and I know my subject material. As I said at the end, it all boils down to making good lifestyle choices. One question I have for you though, if you are completely satisfied with your lifestyle, why was there a need to post about it? Often people start topics here (in many sections of the forum) to seek help with problems. If you have no problems then why did you post?

Old 05-07-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
We've talked on other threads....have you discussed this with your therapist?? If not you need to do so.

Cd folks cannot diagnose your medical or psychological issues so be wary of recommendations...
Nobody can diagnose a medical or psychological problem on the basis of a forum post. I was bemused many months back when some of the pop-psychologists psychoanalyzed our President and diagnosed him as having this or that condition. No professional would make such a judgement without seeing the patient in person, in an appropriate medical environment.

It's not that unusual to get good advice from a forum on myriad problems ranging from psychiatric to woodworking. The real problem is you don't know the advice giver's credentials, and as I pointed out already, medical/psychiatric does not work outside a medical setting. However you can sometimes get good advice, maybe good enough to cause you to seek real advice from a real professional.

I have often advised people who had problems to get an evaluation from an accredited healthcare professional. Counseling does work. I minored in psychology in college and I know enough that I recognize when somebody needs professional help.

Sometimes when I suggest you need to get your head examined I don't mean it as an insult!

In this topic I think the OP has at minimum a mistaken idea about what is good nutritional habits. From the subtext I think it likely there is also a problem with overuse of alcohol, or otherwise why did the subject come up?

Old 05-07-2018, 04:50 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

TY everyone..
I don't see a question posed in your OP.

All I can say is: eating disorder, possibly more than one. Have y ou got yourself evaluated? You don't ask what you should do about it, or even IF you should do anything about it. But IMO, you should.

How does this 1-meal/day schedule work for you, socially? What if people invite you to dinner or breakfast?

Old 05-07-2018, 11:21 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
It's hardly enough information to give an informed response on for me. But since drinking was mentioned, it could go hand-in-glove with liking the feeling alcohol gives you. People who plan their days around their drinking often postpone eating until they are done drinking in order to get the maximum effect of the alcohol.

If that fits for you then the eating pattern isn't your problem.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:05 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:

TY everyone..

Your attitude towards food, is similar to how some people think about sex. They feel dirty afterward and need to scrub themselves hard, all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology