Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 12:58 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,074 times

Advertisements

I remember Johnny Carson riffing on this subject once. It hasn't happened to me, but I think I would initially feel self conscious, but would get over it. A dog might be interested for a while, but I think would eventually get bored, since it would not be the center of attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 01:22 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,783,967 times
My cat watched me prepare my taxes once and I told him to mind his own business.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:43 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
That's what I said too! Cats are very nosy but even if they can communicate it would be only with other cats. Did you ever wonder if cats are actually aliens sent to Earth to collect information on this strange human species?

Getting serious now, in psychological terms, this is more about peoples' feelings re: being naked, self pleasuring, or having sex in front of their pets.

To some degree we humanize our pets, good people consider pets as part of their family. (I do.) It is by transference (bon mot) that we are projecting human characteristics onto our pets and bestowing them with some degree of being human. That said, to whatever degree we now (perhaps subconsciously) feel a connection of doing the dirty in front of our pet as somewhat equivalent to doing the dirty in front of another person.

That is my psychological evaluation of this topic. It is transference and projection that causes our discomfort.
Cat stuff from articles I've recently read:
1. Cats certainly communicate with other cats in some ways, but their vocalizations are for us. Aside from kittens and mom-cats, they don't "meow" at each other much in wild/feral situations, but they've adapted the ability to mimic certain tones (babies crying) in order to manipulate humans into taking care of them. An adored and well kept cat, is a prosperous cat. Cats also are fairly unique from one to the next, as they are likely to do more of the sounds that get them the most attention, what "works" with their particular human(s.)
2. Brain scans recently analyzed showed that a cat's brain is more similar to a human's brain, than it is to a dog's. In particular the emotional centers of their little minds, are apparently relatively similar to ours, and they might have many of the same feelings we do.

Caaannnn you feeel the lovvve tonight....

But probably one of the main reasons I'd keep my cat OUT when I'm doing anything sexual, is that he loves to distract me from well...anything. Ever. His favorite thing in the world, is to get my attention, and then run away. So he'd be creeping up and putting claws in my foot, or sticking his wet nose (while purring) in my ear, or knocking stuff off shelves...when I would really much rather be focusing on the fun I'm tryin' to have.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:15 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
2. Brain scans recently analyzed showed that a cat's brain is more similar to a human's brain, than it is to a dog's. In particular the emotional centers of their little minds, are apparently relatively similar to ours, and they might have many of the same feelings we do.
Yet it is interesting that dog was the first animal that man domesticated. There is of course disagreement about this, and anybody can post anything they want on the Internet. One article proposed it was mice that were our first domestics, but I'd call them commensals. Cats appeared somewhat after, probably to eliminate the mice. And then of course there were the many prey animals that were domesticated: food.

Myself, I perceive dog social structures as more similar to man's social structures than cat social structures.

I stand on my comment above that we tend to personalize our pets, and as a result we consider them almost people (certainly family members) and subconsciously we feel we are doing the dirty in front of other people.

This has been a fun topic and I have already +repped our OP for posting the topic concept.

This fun topic serves as fine counterpoint to more controversial psychology topics. I like the mixed diet.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:45 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,097 times
Nah. Me and my boyfriend regularly find the cat at the end of the bed "afterwards". He is just looking at us with this very bemused expression like, "what? What the hell was that?"

Old 05-23-2018, 07:10 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Cat and dogs talk when we're not around. Then they call their friends and tell them everything we humans do.

They get a big laugh out of it all. I think they've figured out how to take pics with your I Phone.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:15 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I, too, was devastated by this as a teen that the dog had one up on me. Sadly, I'm not double jointed, though if I was I wouldn't leave the house much either so maybe it's for the best.

Question: Why does a dog lick its butt and you don't? Answer: Because it can.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:17 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,950,508 times
I don't have sex in front of my dog... He's trained to protect me and if he thought I was under duress ( lol) he might attack my partner.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:43 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
I love this quote from Mark Twain:

“If man could be crossed with a cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat.”

So true.

-----------------------------------------------------

Old 05-23-2018, 08:49 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Cat stuff from articles I've recently read:
1. Cats certainly communicate with other cats in some ways, but their vocalizations are for us. Aside from kittens and mom-cats, they don't "meow" at each other much in wild/feral situations, but they've adapted the ability to mimic certain tones (babies crying) in order to manipulate humans into taking care of them. An adored and well kept cat, is a prosperous cat. Cats also are fairly unique from one to the next, as they are likely to do more of the sounds that get them the most attention, what "works" with their particular human(s.)

Caaannnn you feeel the lovvve tonight....

But probably one of the main reasons I'd keep my cat OUT when I'm doing anything sexual, is that he loves to distract me from well...anything. Ever. His favorite thing in the world, is to get my attention, and then run away. So he'd be creeping up and putting claws in my foot, or sticking his wet nose (while purring) in my ear, or knocking stuff off shelves...when I would really much rather be focusing on the fun I'm tryin' to have.
But they want to be our one, and only fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology