Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 12:57 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,424,840 times

Advertisements

There is a friend who I have had an off and on romance with. We care deeply for each other. All the years throughout our friendship, he has barely met any of my friends due to being shy and introverted. It's always been 1-1 when we hang out. With that being said there are strong romantic feelings on both ends even though we aren't a couple. He is VERY shy and socially anxious.

Lately he has taken the initiative to meet my friends. A year ago, he would have never wanted to. Now though he is willing and able to meet my friends on his own accord, even though he's still a nervous person in social situations. Be it in small groups or large groups.

The first two times I made sure to keep the outings small. On the first outing it was with just one of my best friends. Then the second outing was with just one friend as well. Both went well. With the first outing though he was rather shy and nervous but did okay. Second outing he seemed to handle it much better.

Then after that it was my birthday party. 25 friends and family were gathering, a couple of those being some guys I dated in the past which he knew about. I figured this was going to be a lot for him.

When we hung out a few days before the party, I thanked him for willing to go to my bday party and told him I appreciate it as I know big groups aren't his thing. Then the day of the party when he was asking me what time he should be there at I told him, but then I also texted him letting him know that I know big groups aren't his thing, so if at any point he feels uncomfortable or overwhelmed to just let me know. He responded in a playful manner to give him more credit. I responded saying okay, I would drop it, was only saying because I care.

Do you think that was condescending of me to do? I am so extroverted that I don't know if to someone who is introverted and shy that would be comforting or agitate them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 01:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,530,686 times
Go off of your intentions. You had good intentions and no harm was done. You are okay. Not condescending at all.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:35 PM

29,759 posts, read 34,454,278 times
It doesn't sound like he was offended? There's nothing wrong with checking in with a friend or partner and setting up some expectations.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:37 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,049,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
There is a friend who I have had an off and on romance with. We care deeply for each other. All the years throughout our friendship, he has barely met any of my friends due to being shy and introverted. It's always been 1-1 when we hang out. With that being said there are strong romantic feelings on both ends even though we aren't a couple. He is VERY shy and socially anxious.

Lately he has taken the initiative to meet my friends. A year ago, he would have never wanted to. Now though he is willing and able to meet my friends on his own accord, even though he's still a nervous person in social situations. Be it in small groups or large groups.

The first two times I made sure to keep the outings small. On the first outing it was with just one of my best friends. Then the second outing was with just one friend as well. Both went well. With the first outing though he was rather shy and nervous but did okay. Second outing he seemed to handle it much better.

Then after that it was my birthday party. 25 friends and family were gathering, a couple of those being some guys I dated in the past which he knew about. I figured this was going to be a lot for him.

When we hung out a few days before the party, I thanked him for willing to go to my bday party and told him I appreciate it as I know big groups aren't his thing. Then the day of the party when he was asking me what time he should be there at I told him, but then I also texted him letting him know that I know big groups aren't his thing, so if at any point he feels uncomfortable or overwhelmed to just let me know. He responded in a playful manner to give him more credit. I responded saying okay, I would drop it, was only saying because I care.

Do you think that was condescending of me to do? I am so extroverted that I don't know if to someone who is introverted and shy that would be comforting or agitate them?

No, you were fine. You were just trying to be considerate. And I think he was just letting YOU know that he can handle this social interaction. :-)

Old 10-03-2018, 03:41 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,049,284 times
I am somewhat of an introvert.

I have a friend who's very extroverted. She makes friends everywhere she goes. If there's a band playing somewhere, she makes friends with the band members without ever having met them.

She makes friends with restaurant staff, the people sitting the next table over, and on and on. Truthfully, it makes me a little jealous. Well...it used to. Until one day she told me that she always feels coldness from introverts, and feels like introverts just plain don't like her, and that she does everything wrong.

Wow. I never had thought about it from her perspective before, and I felt a little ashamed of myself, even though I don't think that was her intention.

We're just all wired differently...and I think we forget that sometimes. Now, I just say "Extroverts are door openers, and we should go through when they go through."

Old 10-03-2018, 05:34 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,038,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post

I'm an introvert, and I'm also very sensitive to real and sometimes imaginary slights, and I think it was very kind of you to be so considerate.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:06 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,326,546 times
What are you doing inviting ex-boy friends to your party,this is insensitive.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:15 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,394,887 times
I'm a super introvert. Wish my wife was as sensitive as you. You are doing fine. However, it would probably irk me as a guy that you are inviting old flames. (No matter how innocent your intentions )

Old 10-03-2018, 07:36 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,037,678 times
He was re-establishing the rules and telling you to back off and stop babying him.

An overly sensitive date would have thought that, by bringing it up so many times, you were hinting for him NOT to go.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:47 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,424,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
What are you doing inviting ex-boy friends to your party,this is insensitive.
Never said they were ex’s. One is a guy who I dated for three weeks, and then we decided to be friends. Out of the three years I have known him and we’ve been friends we only dated for three weeks at the very beginning. It’s just my introvert friend knows about that history, so I know he gets nervous about that particular friend (also because that friend looks like a freaking model). The other guy I went on a few dates, most we did was make out once and we’ve been only friends since.

So technically I “dated” these guys, but they were never anything serious nor did they go far at all. They in the end became friends. My introvert friend was asking about them though prior to the party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology