Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 04:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Everyone knows loose pants are most comfortable. Those wide leg capris in cotton, and loose yoga pants. The tight ones are more likely to cause infections and rashes. They don't wear them for solely for comfort. Same with skinny jeans, underwire bras, etc.
Have you never worn yoga pants/leggings? They are very comfy and suitable for moving around in. And easier for many people. I’ve got big thighs - finding loose pants that are appropriately loose and fit my waist is a lost cause.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:50 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
I fully agree that staring is rude. I don't do it, and I don't think other guys should. But some do and some always will. So if a gal dresses in yoga pants and she's built like Sophia Vergara (or even if she isn't), some guys are going to stare. That's life. Choices have consequences.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:02 PM

813 posts, read 402,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My issue is with men making how women dress all about them (the men).

She can dress however and it is not about you. So to her "provocatively" may not be part of the equation.

However, while it is considered bad manners for anyone to stare at anyone, I maintain that once you set foot out in public, you have zero right telling people where to look or not to look at you.

So if a guy wants to look at a woman, I have zero issue with it.
I agree. A woman has the right to dress the way she wants. Out in public, if a guy sees something that looks nice, he has the right to look at it. He is not demanding anything from her. The man simply enjoys what is on display in public.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:17 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
There have been tons of threads about this topic, ad nauseum.

BOTH women and men need to take responsibility for themselves. It's not JUST up to men to "not stare"--frankly, this is the most ridiculous advice I've ever heard. Women have a responsibility to dress in a manner that's befitting their values and morals. If women only project sexual attractiveness then that's the only way people will relate to them. If women want to be taken seriously and to have equality then stop putting your boobs and azz out there for everyone to see. That's not going to get you any kind of equality or taken seriously. Women can squawk all they want about this little fact of life but it is what it is. I see a half-naked woman on top of a car with her bikini bottoms almost sliding off, well, what's there to take seriously there? What do you expect men to do? You are really, really naiive if you think you can show off your body and think men are going to take you seriously. Don't give me that crap about wanting to feel good about yourselves or feel sexy. You can do that in the privacy of your home.

Women can look attractive and feel good about themselves without showing everything in an overt manner. Why not wear a nice summer dress with a pair of sandals and a crocheted sweater on top to cover up in air conditioning? Why not wear a nice pair of capris and a pretty top? Do you really have to show your boobs and buttocks to feel good about yourself? I have a lot of suspicions about that. I think women who do that, have ulterior motives, yet try to put the blame on men when they get unwanted attention. That's pretty low.

Telling men not to stare is a little lame. That's kind of like putting the cart before the horse. The men don't know not to stare until they've already seen the woman.
And it keeps going... anyone see the end? No? Me, either.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:24 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Ok, lemme re-phrase.

Women in this thread who think they can tell people what they may or may not look at are demanding special treatment.

If I were to go around wearing yoga-pants, I guarantee I would get some stares and comments. I don't really want that, so I don't wear yoga pants in public.
Not a single woman this thread said men shouldn't look at pretty women. Staring however, at ANYONE, is and has always been considered rude. Children want to stare at the person with a burned face, or a missing limb, or the obese person, they are very tempted to stare, but we teach them not to, because it is rude and makes people uncomfortable. Why should it be a different standard for women who are attractive? Again, expecting normal manners and normally accepted behavior is hardly demanding special treatment.

Every second of every day, men all over the world manage to admire and look at pretty women without overtly staring at them, it is really not as difficult as you might think.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:27 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
You know, judging by some of the comments on here, I'm beginning to understand why most straight men don't like gay men. They're afraid the gay man is going to leer and hit on them in the same way they leer and hit on women.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:27 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Well, staring at a buxom blind woman would be a different story, right?

Old 06-01-2018, 05:33 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I agree with this, however, staring at a person's outfit can be rude. However, I find it funny that people choose to wear "outlandish" outfits, yet complain when people look/stare. People don't get to decide what people wear nor people don't get to decide if someone looks/stares at an attractive person. Yet, this is ANOTHER rhetoric of men vs women. It's such a simple concept, yet, people like to make it complicated and ***** about **** that doesn't even matter. SMH.
Except in this specific thread, it's the OP, a dude, who is complaining about a woman's audacity to wear leggings in public. She wasn't complaining about anything or expecting special treatment.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:23 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Except in this specific thread, it's the OP, a dude, who is complaining about a woman's audacity to wear leggings in public. She wasn't complaining about anything or expecting special treatment.
As a matter of fact, this line from the OP was quoted above and shows the OP's mindset:

"The question is, why does a woman dress so provocatively if not to be stared at?"

She's not dressing "provocatively". That's simply the viewer's/OP's take because of how seeing her affected him.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:23 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Ok, lemme re-phrase.

Women in this thread who think they can tell people what they may or may not look at are demanding special treatment.

If I were to go around wearing yoga-pants, I guarantee I would get some stares and comments. I don't really want that, so I don't wear yoga pants in public.

To take the concept further, if I feel someone has stared inappropriately, I have the right to comment on that.

Just because you are guy you shouldn't expect special treatment.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology