Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 11:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Me personally, I consider all pets beyond goldfish to be borderline insufferable. I've yet to understand the psychology behind the anthropomorphism of animals that is I believe the major factor which causes people to irrationally consider pets suitable companions.
That’s funny. My dogs are better companions than most people I meet. I don’t have to worry about my dogs stealing, lying or causing me grief. Hey if you don’t like pets don’t have a pet. There is nothing irrational about having a pet as a companion.

The thing about dogs is all they want to do is be with you. It’s unconditional . They don’t judge you by looks, smarts, money, or any other things that humans judge you by. They don’t place you in some social box beneath them or use you to get ahead socially.. To them you are their whole world.
But you wouldn’t understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 05:38 AM

34,990 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
That's not what they're doing when they lick you.
Sure it is. They don't always bite though. Sometimes they've been known to lean dangerously hard against your leg (a neighbor's Burmese Mountain Dog does that) or place their head and mouth in an advantageous position to bite (I've seen German Shepherds and Golden Retrievers do that).

Old 06-09-2018, 05:54 AM

965 posts, read 938,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Whatever happened to the good old dog house. That's how I grew up, dogs had their house. Not today and as far as unconditional love, they are animals and when two babies were lost to family dogs in recent weeks, gotta wonder. I'm out of comments. But I agree poster didn't need Caps..

Just thinking too, I came out of 4.5 months of hospital/rehabs and IF I had a pet at home, where would that have all ended. One of my roommates at a point had to get home as she had 3 cats alone, her sister feeding them but worried about the mess to go home to.
What happened to the "good old dog house"? It went the way of "shut up and take your medicine", and question nothing!
Jamin - you espouse natural healing (I am also a proponent), so I am sure you have come across the information that pets help with healing, lowering blood pressure, depression/ anxiety, trauma, stress, happiness, and longevity in humans.

You don't need to explain why you don't want pets, but you might be the perfect example of someone who might benefit from a pet.

They are the epitome of holistic healing, having to plan ahead for another living being is, imo a good thing. People do it all the time when they have kids (at times when we aren't thinking of becoming infirm even for a short time) they survive it.
Many people, myself included just have directives. Others have nothing, and those pets end up at shelters or rescue (it is a drag, but it happens).

No excuses for sitting when you have a dog in particular, since they must be exercised. I have friends in their 70s and 80s who struggle to let the dogs out to go potty 4 times a day (both recently had surgery so they are moving slower).
Still they are thankful that they are forced to get up and let the dogs out, and then back in. They find it better than their physical therapy to make sure the dogs don't potty inside

Having a pet makes us take care of ourselves by default. Caring for another being who requires so very little of us is a great way to get out of our own heads. They are worth the (in the long run) small effort it takes.

If this doesn't make sense that is fine, no reason to make excuses about why it doesn't work for you. It is meant to be helpful, and just make you think about it a bit. I do not want you to get a pet, I just want you to consider why the good old dog house has lost favor.

The cost is very relevant, but many organizations in particular are willing to help seniors in particular afford their care - exactly because of the physical and mental health benefits to the human. It helps keep pets in homes that are low income.
We humans do take steps forward in figuring things out sometimes

Old 06-09-2018, 10:06 AM

5,144 posts, read 3,074,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
What happened to the "good old dog house"? It went the way of "shut up and take your medicine", and question nothing!
[...]
Oh the Zen, a cosmic symbiosis.
So with that settled, should dogs be treated even more like humans and have fewer restrictions, or should we humans lower our sights and attempt to live more like dogs? From what I see in my daily routines it appears many are going with the latter. That little dog on a leash at the grocery store last night, lifting its leg and peeing on a display rack, was teaching me a lesson in tolerance.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:08 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Jamin - you espouse natural healing (I am also a proponent), so I am sure you have come across the information that pets help with healing, lowering blood pressure, depression/ anxiety, trauma, stress, happiness, and longevity in humans.

You don't need to explain why you don't want pets, but you might be the perfect example of someone who might benefit from a pet.

They are the epitome of holistic healing, having to plan ahead for another living being is, imo a good thing. People do it all the time when they have kids (at times when we aren't thinking of becoming infirm even for a short time) they survive it.
Many people, myself included just have directives. Others have nothing, and those pets end up at shelters or rescue (it is a drag, but it happens).

No excuses for sitting when you have a dog in particular, since they must be exercised. I have friends in their 70s and 80s who struggle to let the dogs out to go potty 4 times a day (both recently had surgery so they are moving slower).
Still they are thankful that they are forced to get up and let the dogs out, and then back in. They find it better than their physical therapy to make sure the dogs don't potty inside

Having a pet makes us take care of ourselves by default. Caring for another being who requires so very little of us is a great way to get out of our own heads. They are worth the (in the long run) small effort it takes.

If this doesn't make sense that is fine, no reason to make excuses about why it doesn't work for you. It is meant to be helpful, and just make you think about it a bit. I do not want you to get a pet, I just want you to consider why the good old dog house has lost favor.

The cost is very relevant, but many organizations in particular are willing to help seniors in particular afford their care - exactly because of the physical and mental health benefits to the human. It helps keep pets in homes that are low income.
Hey whatever people choose... I don't care...I just know what is right for me. I like most others pets but I don't need/want one in my life.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:35 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,813,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
sure it is. They don't always bite though. Sometimes they've been known to lean dangerously hard against your leg (a neighbor's burmese mountain dog does that) or place their head and mouth in an advantageous position to bite (i've seen german shepherds and golden retrievers do that).
Ha ha ha ha ha! Yes, it can be quite dangerous when a 150 lbs Bernese Mtn Dog leans against you.

I had a golden/lab mix who would take the hand of any visitor to our house in her mouth. She was just delighted to see them and wanted to lead them to our living room.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:28 PM

438 posts, read 269,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Oh the Zen, a cosmic symbiosis.
So with that settled, should dogs be treated even more like humans and have fewer restrictions, or should we humans lower our sights and attempt to live more like dogs? From what I see in my daily routines it appears many are going with the latter. That little dog on a leash at the grocery store last night, lifting its leg and peeing on a display rack, was teaching me a lesson in tolerance.

Amusing, and I see your point. Keep in mind that it was the little dog's human who brought it into the grocery store, yet failed to teach it how to behave in public. Bad human. Three whacks with a rolled up newspaper.

I think humans should raise our sights to become more like dogs . . .

Old 06-09-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Ha ha ha ha ha! Yes, it can be quite dangerous when a 150 lbs Bernese Mtn Dog leans against you.

I had a golden/lab mix who would take the hand of any visitor to our house in her mouth. She was just delighted to see them and wanted to lead them to our living room.
But don't they bite immediately thereafter?

Old 06-09-2018, 05:13 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
But don't they bite immediately thereafter?
No.

Many dogs, like very small children, investigate things with their mouths as well as their noses.

It's not good doggy manners to mouth humans, but it is not a prelude to biting.

You need to spend some time with friendly dogs.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You need to spend some time with friendly dogs.
I spend a lot of time with Burmese Mountain dogs, German Shepherds and Golden Retrievers. All of them have slashing tails and demand to be petted; a demand you refuse at the peril of being seriously annoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology