Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 05:56 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times

Advertisements

100 is the average IQ. Below 100 is a below average IQ and much lower than 100 is mentally handicapped in various ways. Above 100, such as 125 or 130 is an above average IQ.

I think the OP has a point. But being able to accept mistakes and how one reacts if mistakes are pointed out to a person is dependent upon other personal qualities too - self-esteem, self-confidence, ability to accept some mistakes one makes, being secure in who and what one is as a person, and emotional and psychological characteristics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 06:41 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmejor77 View Post
Well, they use all sorts of words…"stupid", "moron", "retarded", etc.

In fact there's no need to make a mistake to be labelled low IQ, some people will regard somebody as low IQ because of their body language, spelling and grammar skills, speach patterns, their looks, their taste in sexual partners, their taste in clothes, wines, sports, etc.

In fact, there's not even a need for words...a scornful look, or rolling eyes can be very telling regarding opinions about people.

Albert Einstein was regarded as thick when he was a student...I mean that type of stuff.
Uh, no: what kind of stuff is that?

Just curious who you associate with. In a professional environment, I have seldom if-ever heard someone called "stupid" peer-to-peer except in the most heated exchange, which is very rare. 28 years in business.

Early in my career, I was the "white-helmet" engineer lead on drill crews and construction crews. Some of those guys struck me as a bit more brawn than sense, but I seldom if-ever got on them about it. They would fight among themselves, occasionally viciously. If that's who you associate with, maybe more on a day-to-day basis this is something of a threat?

Strange stuff on CD sometimes, in my observation, professional environment versus...whatever is being described by OP, in personal or business life.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:01 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,017,652 times
Probably bc the high IQ person is more secure in their perceived intelligence. Just like if you make a joke about someone pigging out who isn't fat, they aren't going to be as upset as if you said it to someone 50 lbs overweight.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:37 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,828,236 times
Quote:
Well, they use all sorts of words…"stupid", "moron", "retarded", etc.

In fact there's no need to make a mistake to be labelled low IQ, some people will regard somebody as low IQ because of their body language, spelling and grammar skills, speach patterns, their looks, their taste in sexual partners, their taste in clothes, wines, sports, etc.

In fact, there's not even a need for words...a scornful look, or rolling eyes can be very telling regarding opinions about people.

Albert Einstein was regarded as thick when he was a student...I mean that type of stuff.
I'm not sure about the other things on your list but in a culture where almost everyone is in school for at least 12 years spelling, grammar and speech of an adult can certainly be an indicator of one's intellectual capacity.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:53 AM

78 posts, read 66,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Uh, no: what kind of stuff is that?

Just curious who you associate with. In a professional environment, I have seldom if-ever heard someone called "stupid" peer-to-peer except in the most heated exchange, which is very rare. 28 years in business.

Early in my career, I was the "white-helmet" engineer lead on drill crews and construction crews. Some of those guys struck me as a bit more brawn than sense, but I seldom if-ever got on them about it. They would fight among themselves, occasionally viciously. If that's who you associate with, maybe more on a day-to-day basis this is something of a threat?

Strange stuff on CD sometimes, in my observation, professional environment versus...whatever is being described by OP, in personal or business life.

You dont need to call anyone stupid for this to happen. Just by having low expectations is an indirect way to do it.

There are 3 groups of people where this is commom: athletes , actors and models. When people find out that this famous, good-looking actor happens to be a Mensa member everybody goes "wow, amazing". Nobody would be that surprised about a Mensa doctor.

When people find out that this football player happened to write a book, they go "nah, somebody wrote it for him", or stuff like that.

And models would be an extreme case...who really thinks the average IQ of a model is beyond 100?

But the truth is that there are actors and athletes and models who happen to have an above average IQ. And they must face this situation on a daily basis.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:19 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,581,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I think the reaction might be based on healthy self-esteem rather than intelligence, and if that's true, then reaction is not predicated on intellect at all. High IQ people can have low self-esteem and low IQ people can have high self-esteem. Self-esteem is tied more to effective socialization and good parenting.

Are you including people who are too dumb to realize how stupid they are, in that collection of types?

Old 06-09-2018, 05:56 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,219,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

In my long high tech career, the stupid ones eventually get laid off since they can't do the work. The vast majority never find the next tech job and exit to something that requires less neurons.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:18 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,048,707 times
Quote:
In fact there's no need to make a mistake to be labelled low IQ, some people will regard somebody as low IQ because of their body language, spelling and grammar skills, speach patterns, their looks, their taste in sexual partners, their taste in clothes, wines, sports, etc..
Yes, and.....?

Those items are fantastic indicators. As we live our lives and interact with thousands upon thousands of people over hundreds of thousands of instances, behaviors such speech (not speach by the way) patterns, grammar & spelling, and body language tend to correlate into reliable patterns which we then associate with other attributes.

We could be wrong, our assumptions could be wrong about individuals, but our brains tend to develop reliable patterns of association over time, and those assumptions may indicate whether or not this is a person you want to interact with in certain situations, if at all.

We humans tend to group people and there's nothing inherently wrong with that, it's a survival instinct. Clothing, speech patters, hand motions, hairstyles, tattoos & piercings, are all things that we have learned, over time, give indicators about that person. One thing you may not be aware of is that other people might actually want to give off a certain perception about themselves. Some people might demand a "don't judge me" type of response, but the reality is that by dressing, grooming, or acting a certain way is asking to be judged by those behaviors.

So for example: the kid with the pink hair, baggy ruffled clothes, and a bone pierced through their nose probably wants to be perceived as a person with pink hair, baggy clothes and a bone pierced through their nose. If they wanted to be perceived as something else they would make different choices.

We want to interact with like-minded people who dress like us and speak like us who we perceive as being able to offer us some sort of value whereas we want to avoid people who might cause us harm or who have nothing to offer us socially or intellectually.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:32 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,207,444 times
Quote:
When some high IQ person makes a silly mistake (like everybody does) and is called "stupid" he or she takes it in a less personal way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I have zero issue being challenged intellectually. I am who I am, and it's as simple as that.

You trying to tell us you're smart?

Old 06-09-2018, 06:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
A big difference I find it that people who run around touting their high IQ usually do not actually have one. These are the people who work their test scores or Mensa membership into every conversation. Yes, when you question such people's claims of superior IQ in any manner, they typically react badly. While people with actual high IQ have no difficulty recognizing they are not actually all that much smarter than anyone else and commonly do stupid things and have no problems quipping "I am an idiot" or "I am so stupid sometimes" In my experience, IQ tests do little to actually identify smart people. Smart people are easy to identify and they never tell you how smart they are and do not need tests to confirm it. So no, they do not get offended if someone questions their IQ score - because they are smart enough to know it is irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology