Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:58 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
You're making these judgements from their Facebook pages though. you say the repetition is relentless. Simple fix. Unfriend them or hide them.
I'm not seeking "a fix"; I'm seeking to understand the phenomenon. I honestly believe it's a form of mass hysteria.

This IS the psychology forum, right? It's okay to analyze things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 02:01 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
You probably don't want to go to the Politics and Other Controversies board here then. At least on Facebook, you can unfollow people or hide them -- or just specific posts. I don't mind the politics that I don't agree with. It's the name calling and belittling that gets to me. And, yeah, the anger.
Yup! Like you, I seldomly anymore go to the CD Politics section. Most people don't post there with the intention of engaging in sound productive discussion. Most are there to vent, rant, and persecute anyone in disagreement with them. It's truly pointless.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:12 PM

652 posts, read 340,552 times
STAY AWAY FROM FACEBOOK. Problem solved.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:23 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm not seeking "a fix"; I'm seeking to understand the phenomenon. I honestly believe it's a form of mass hysteria.

This IS the psychology forum, right? It's okay to analyze things?
What's to understand? Some people are blow hards.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:27 PM

Some people have always been blowhards, but this is a recent phenomenon.

For a psychology forum, people here aren't very curious about the workings of the human mind?

Old 06-19-2018, 02:31 PM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
What I find most interesting is that I myself never cared to get anxious, annoyed, or otherwise thoughtful about political views, political appointees, presidents, parties, etc.etc. And I've seen a fair few decades of politics in my long life.

But recently, very recently, I find myself absolutely incensed about certain political actions being taken by certain elected officials. This has never happened before to me, but I have become very political and although I have tried to channel it in positive ways, sometimes I can't help myself (like when I see something I just can't pass by on C-D). So I can understand that it happens. I don't presume to understand why this is happening now and never before for me, but I can emphathize now with others who feel this way, too, even if they don't agree with my opinions.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:41 PM

133 posts, read 87,666 times
Quote:
It's not a question of agreeing or not agreeing; I wouldn't think it's exactly a sign of mental health to be that continually obsessed and rage-filled no matter how just the cause is... Have they nothing else in their lives, or is everything else in life considered "trivial" now compared to this endless drum beat? Are they told to do this (that it will further the cause)? That and continually sharing obviously biased "news" reports from clearly bogus sites. The repetition is just relentless.

If nothing else, it's quite boring, but I'm afraid it's more pathological than that...
The funny thing is, it's nothing but re-posts of memes asking very pointed questions and a response of "amen" or "absolutely". The people I see on my feed actually have very little invested knowledge in any of the topics they're posting about, but they hear the talking points and will go down swinging defending said talking points, facts be damned.

Social media will be the downfall of modern society....I'm being sarcastic (I hope).

Old 06-19-2018, 02:44 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Some people use fb to vent. You're only seeing a keyhole view of their life so it’s a mistake to judge their mental health or life based on that. Unfriend or unfollow if it bothers you.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
What I find most interesting is that I myself never cared to get anxious, annoyed, or otherwise thoughtful about political views, political appointees, presidents, parties, etc.etc. And I've seen a fair few decades of politics in my long life.

But recently, very recently, I find myself absolutely incensed about certain political actions being taken by certain elected officials. This has never happened before to me, but I have become very political and although I have tried to channel it in positive ways, sometimes I can't help myself (like when I see something I just can't pass by on C-D). So I can understand that it happens. I don't presume to understand why this is happening now and never before for me, but I can emphathize now with others who feel this way, too, even if they don't agree with my opinions.
It would be interesting to zero in on why because, I agree, this is unprecedented. Just out of curiosity!

Old 06-19-2018, 03:16 PM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
Quote:
It would be interesting to zero in on why because, I agree, this is unprecedented. Just out of curiosity!
And to address a few other posters above, I don't consider myself a blowhard at all. But I do have these tidal waves of rage about some things I consider totally unacceptable, and often that translates into forum posts or posts on my blog. I do draw the line at getting a Twitter account and tweeting all over the place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology