Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 05:48 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Insight is good.

Obsessing to the point that ithe has detrimental effects on your life is not.

And, yes, it is possible to become navel-gazing to the point that it is to the detriment of living life.
Yep. This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 07:06 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
It's a lifelong journey and no time frame to reflect, it's ongoing. If we're not learning from not so good experiences, then we'd better wake up.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:35 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Always a tough one. I feel like I reflect too much sometimes, and at times, the mind is its own worst enemy. I spent a lot of time last year going over in my mind basically why I am where I am right now, versus other alternate possibilities, and I guess trying to figure out how much blame to assign to myself and how much was just circumstance.

One thing about life that can be frustrating is that you can make what you think is the best move at any given point, and continue to make the best moves going forward, but suddenly find yourself two years later realizing that what you did wasn't worthwhile. It's like a sporting event, I suppose, you have a strategy and you stick to the strategy perfectly, but if you end up losing the game, you may conclude afterwards that your strategy -- while perfectly executed -- was poor. No amount of execution would have changed that, and even if you went back in time, you wouldn't have had the data to know why that was a losing strategy.

I think the most important self-reflection is where you're able to sort what's really important to you versus what only seems important at the time. At least for me, in my experience, the data set is constantly changing, so whatever makes sense for me is sometimes in motion. Yet what I ultimately want remains the same. So all of the reflection I did last year, which was at times frantic and prevented me from sleeping well, ultimately led me to the belief this year that I would pursue my ultimate goals and ignore the white noise that is everything else because that stuff has just prevented me from advancing when it was supposed to help me.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Always a tough one. I feel like I reflect too much sometimes, and at times, the mind is its own worst enemy. I spent a lot of time last year going over in my mind basically why I am where I am right now, versus other alternate possibilities, and I guess trying to figure out how much blame to assign to myself and how much was just circumstance.
one thing to consider is how much it actually matters whether you are to blame and to what extent, and if the time spent ruminating on past missteps mightn't be better spent focusing on the present and future. If you spend an inordinate amount of time second guessing things after it's too late and the time has come and gone, anyway, you are essentially robbing from your present by dwelling on things that are over and done with.

yes, it's good to learn from missteps. But all the insight in the world won't ever be a failsafe guarantee against making a wrong choice, here and there, opening the second door when you should have opened the first, etc. More important is how you learn to best respond to setbacks, versus take an inordinate amount of time analyzing them and beating yourself up over them. Because there will always be setbacks.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:37 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y4nh4 View Post
What do you think about self reflecting and looking deep at yourself through your mistakes, failures and successes but doing this on a weekly basis and not just sometimes?
It depends. If you can learn from them and do better next time, it can be helpful. But if you are just being hard on yourself, I would stop and try something different, like read a book.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:19 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
It depends. If you can learn from them and do better next time, it can be helpful. But if you are just being hard on yourself, I would stop and try something different, like read a book.
When we are not hard on ourselves the world will be.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:35 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I'd rather use the word "assessing" than "self-reflection."

Assessing implies weighing things and considering options. Self-reflection has some implication of useless navel-gazing to me.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:46 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
why marinate in misery and visit, give life to your demons ?? let them go..

some can be constructive if we can learn by it....but you can get depressed looking in the rearview mirror of life.....

we should be looking thru the windshield of life with hopes and dreams of a better tomorrow...…. we have the ability to picture what we want and move towards it

Old 06-26-2018, 05:33 AM

378 posts, read 229,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
When we are not hard on ourselves the world will be.
True that.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:49 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y4nh4 View Post
What do you think about self reflecting and looking deep at yourself through your mistakes, failures and successes but doing this on a weekly basis and not just sometimes?
I would make sure that I am self reflecting on an observable behavior and that I am not trying to rate success or failure with an idea that cannot be directly measured. I would simply say, "Did that behavior get me what I wanted?" If not, change it. Sometimes this might require a thought process change.

For example, wanting to be a fun person is not directly observable. Wanting to be happy or successful is not directly observable. However, there are observable behaviors that make a person fun or happy or successful. I would pay attention to that.

As far as deciding if you are a failure or success, it is a waste of time in my opinion. You cannot grasp a concept that is far beyond your reach without assistance so don't be too hard on yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology