Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 04:58 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Recognition of dashed expectations is compassion, not apology. Does that help?
I will be sure to remember that next time I am feeling bad things didn't work out:

Dear Miss Manners,
Please add "I am compassionate about your dashed expectations" to your book!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 05:05 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I think that it MIGHT be a way of forestalling "killing the messenger" (you). If we let people know that we are sorry something happened -- even if it wasn't our fault -- perhaps it is with the hope, unconscious or not, that people will be less likely to unjustly take their disappointment or anger out on you. I also think it is a way of "making nice" -- hoping that someone will think you're a nice person.

But most often, I think this (unnecessary apologizing) is just learned behavior and not a conscious choice (And, yes, I do agree that women apologize more than men -- maybe because we have been "taught" to be the peace-makers?)

Old 06-25-2018, 05:14 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
I'm sorry about this thread.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:15 PM

937 posts, read 743,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'm sorry about this thread.
Hahahaha. Good one.

Yeah, I feel so bad about what I posted. Please, what can I do to make up for it?

Last edited by Chloe333; 06-25-2018 at 05:23 PM..

Old 06-25-2018, 05:16 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
You have to ask yourself the question if you feel some level of fear or anxiety when you are apologizing. Then it could be that your behavior is coming out of a place of low self esteem and perhaps thinking others are better than you. You may overly fear they won't like you and so you apologize often. You may fear making them mad or fear confrontation.

If you really don't feel fear when apologizing then maybe this is just something you are in the habit of doing to be cordial to people. It could be that you feel empathy and consideration towards people and are sensitive to any ways that you might inconvenience or offend them, and you don't want to make them feel badly. It's not fear-based but more empathy or compassion based.
I think the first example certainly does happen. I don't see the example in the second paragraph as a big problem, particularly when dealing with people in many circumstances (such as a customer service kind of interaction). Take the example someone said about saying "Sorry I can't help you." This will go over better than "I can't help you", which sounds more curt and short. You're right that adding "sorry" is usually more about showing compassion, rather than weakness or low self esteem. It's usually better to err on being more polite rather than less.

There are a few exceptions. A traffic attorney would advise never immediately saying "I'm sorry" to the other driver when you get in a fender bender as this could be construed by the other driver's insurance company as admitting fault to the accident and held against the one who said it.

Last edited by Jowel; 06-25-2018 at 05:29 PM..

Old 06-25-2018, 08:44 PM

1,091 posts, read 580,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
You have to ask yourself the question if you feel some level of fear or anxiety when you are apologizing. Then it could be that your behavior is coming out of a place of low self esteem and perhaps thinking others are better than you. You may overly fear they won't like you and so you apologize often. You may fear making them mad or fear confrontation.

If you really don't feel fear when apologizing then maybe this is just something you are in the habit of doing to be cordial to people. It could be that you feel empathy and consideration towards people and are sensitive to any ways that you might inconvenience or offend them, and you don't want to make them feel badly. It's not fear-based but more empathy or compassion based.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think that it MIGHT be a way of forestalling "killing the messenger" (you). If we let people know that we are sorry something happened -- even if it wasn't our fault -- perhaps it is with the hope, unconscious or not, that people will be less likely to unjustly take their disappointment or anger out on you. I also think it is a way of "making nice" -- hoping that someone will think you're a nice person.

But most often, I think this (unnecessary apologizing) is just learned behavior and not a conscious choice (And, yes, I do agree that women apologize more than men -- maybe because we have been "taught" to be the peace-makers?)
I think these two posts sum up the situation perfectly, at least as it applies to me. I've always been one to obsess about how others percieve me, so that could explain why I do this.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:16 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
I'm sorry, but what did you say?

Old 06-25-2018, 10:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Have you ever found yourself apologizing for things that were not your fault? Any idea why some of us have a tendency to do this?

For example, say you teach a class. Twice you cancelled class due to bad weather and twice more because not enough people showed up. Then at the end you apologize for having cancelled so much. Why? All of those things were beyond your control.
Apologies are not necessarily about taking ownership of blame. Sometimes they are expressing sympathy/empathy for another's hardship, inconvenience, or otherwise negative experience. It is saying, "I feel badly that this happened that harmed/disappointed/inconvenienced/whatever you." Not, "The fault is mine."

In that case, you're apologizing that the schedule was disrupted. Not taking blame.

Quote:
Or somebody asks a question and you don't know the answer. You say, "Sorry, I can't help you." Why are you sorry?
In this case, you are expressing that you wish you could help. Not taking blame.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:21 AM

716 posts, read 557,637 times
Funny, that just reminds me...last week a woman asked if I had a lighter and instinctively I said, "Sorry, I don't smoke". Immediately after I said it I thought, "No, I'm NOT sorry about that. I'm GLAD I don't smoke".

Old 06-26-2018, 05:48 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,586 times
This has happened to me sometimes:

In an attempt to express compassion for someone, I might say, "I'm so sorry your child is sick," or "I'm sorry you've had such a hard time lately."

Usually people acknowledge it as a statement of compassion, but occasionally someone has said, "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault."

I never quite know how to respond to that (I just let it go). Are they reassuring me that I'm not responsible for their distress? Are they letting me know that they'll be okay? Is it annoying when someone uses "I'm sorry" in this way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology