Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 03:15 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times

Advertisements

multiple posts have been deleted associated with personal attacks and responses. Please don’t quote or engage with posters who post TOS violations. Instead, report and/or ignore.

Please get back on topic for this thread in the Psychology forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 01:24 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
As I get older I am seeing the value in downsizing. I will die before I use most of my stuff so why not get rid of it a logical way that helps others and lightens my load.

I have never owned a place so I am already thinking about my next move. NO BOXES for me. It will all fit in black plastic bins that have now become my furniture or in suitcases. If it doesn't it will be discarded.

It just feels better to have less stuff and be portable.

At one point in time I had all my stuff in 4 bags at 50lbs each. That ballooned once again....

I can't help but think of comedian George Carlin's skit about STUFF and having to rent bigger warehouses to put stuff in.

It really becomes babysitting after a bit. Maybe BINGE then PURGE is the way to go ?
Just talked to a friend in the East who was widowed after 56 yrs of marriage and a house to take care of. One of the first things she did was sell the house and get rid of years of stuff and now happily living in an apt..she says she couldn't be happier. I asked her how she has adjusted and for her it's pretty easy she says, she took care of husband for many years as he declined. Many have a hard time adjusting.

Love Carlin's youtube on "stuff".

Old 07-03-2018, 05:12 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Just talked to a friend in the East who was widowed after 56 yrs of marriage and a house to take care of. One of the first things she did was sell the house and get rid of years of stuff and now happily living in an apt..she says she couldn't be happier. I asked her how she has adjusted and for her it's pretty easy she says, she took care of husband for many years as he declined. Many have a hard time adjusting.

Been thinking on our topic from many different angles. Watched George's "Stuff" last night at work, the only place I really can watch it due to limited Internet at home, and some things are being corrected, such as tossing old school notes into recycling. Further, as I walk around the house with all its unpacked boxes of this or that, there is a lot of stuff.

But that is one of the complications of living out in the country, where floods at many different points on that one road back into town can cut you off in the high lands (it would take a Biblical Flood) for days. You need lots of stuff to keep going on your own if it comes down to it.

As far as a house full of books, I'm in the den and it is floor to ceiling of books for 1/3rd of the walls (the rest being windows and closet), that is one of those things with many different angles. Such as the information that one wants isn't always going to be on the Net, the Net is not always going to be there (such as when contact with the satellite is not possible) and when you need answers like damage control for broken piping, you need those answers at hand. When the streaming world is not available to you, when you are a roof for a night for traveling friends, it is nice to have books that they might want to read.....or puppets to entertain children that may be with them.

That latter part gets into the argument of "You have more than enough (whatever) than what you will ever need or even get to!". That is, that whatever is not only for one's self but others and as far as having lots of books, it is escapism especially for people pushed together so they don't go stir crazy. Long story short, if one is so fortunate so it is only them, then it is simpler to be simple.

In the dream sense, I rather built this place as a Mode II-A Safe House (private residence that can be used as a Mode II) where a Mode III is an unpowered storage bunker and a Mode I is a regional HQ capable of housing at least a company where a Mode II is somewhere in between. That is, in thinking, if the Mode II-A has a place to butcher a deer, it can be adjusted for emergency surgery. I am not butchering any deer here but the place does have at least three power sources.......and I would rather have friends visiting in their travels than to actually have to make this a safe house, but there is the thinking.

Long story short, the way we think, the we dream, even the realities we are involved in, may make our lives rather complex.

The other night was the dark before garbage day. As I drove out, I saw dumpsters stuffed to the brim and yet mine was barely full, just kitty litter and the weekly bag from the kitchen (ie, a thread I made long ago about that). Now admittedly, I am single but most of the ranches around here are of couples or the like or even more. Still, though, I wonder if there is that much of a difference in that I change three kitty litter pans a day, a difference in the numbers of occupants in the house. So what else makes their cans so full and mine so empty (still heavy enough for one week when I wrangle it into a car to take it to the road)?

Well, it is all just guess work for I am not going to do a door to door survey or even worse, bin dive. I suspect, however, that many don't recycle. I make recycling runs to drop off my baggy plastic at one place and almost all the other possible things at another. Now some people have a recycling bin as well on the road and that's good for them, I commend them. Myself, I prefer not going that route for like I said in "Technology & the Single Person", I need community contact. Going to the recycling place to drop of things keeps me in touch with the world.

So there is a question of if one does not recycle, have they taken a simpler route?

I buy my food, as it turns out, in a minimal of packaging. It is not really for the recycling reason, though, but other reasons, such as buying raw goods, canned, and bulk frozen as I can. This is in part because I learned it is more economical to buy raw goods, I can make out like a bandit at the store. I buy canned because I have a sailor/forest ranger mentality. As it is probably known, I make and drink powdered milk because I can have months of stocks in the house to be able to resupply from as oppose to having to drive out to the store, the closest one being almost 10 miles away. Admittedly, I got back into powdered milk, grew up on it as a child, because I figured it was cheaper in the long run. Bulk frozen is another area of economy especially since I have a chest freezer.

There, however, is another point about living simple. Which is and which is not? Bulk frozen is not simple, IMHO, because it requires a freezer and that requires power and if one one such as the latter is lost, where are you?

Raw goods and cans, on the other hand, is simple for they can be kept around by themselves for months until they are needed. Powdered milk can be made by just adding water (not the most appetizing); Moors & Christians (my version) can be pulled from jars on the counter, and it is add water and heat. That is simple.

GRANTED, I might be able to add the bulk frozen to the simple category, by a degree, by smoking it, but I don't know those techniques yet.

In conclusion, simple living depends on a lot of things.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:59 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:

Many people simplify their lives this way,especially after the loss of a spouse.
This year I’ve had three friends downsize drastically, one into a tiny home.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:18 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I've been single for over 40 yrs, one marriage and just didn't get into a lot of collecting, did my share but not overly and for the last 5 yrs or so have been filling recycle bags with stuff as I saw it around the apt and decided I didn't want or need it, in it went. I have not missed a thing I've gotten rid of in the last 5 yrs or so.

I think a lot of mind changes came when I found Science of Mind teachings and the principles of creating vacuums so there is room for something new, if something new comes into one's life. I found these teachings in the 80s. Plus our stuff could be someone else's treasures. I like that one.

We all have made our paths and change or don't change things.

I have two lead crystal wine glasses, beautiful and they were my mothers but I have had them packed away in drawer for years...one thing lead is not what I want to drink from.

When I'm done here, this apt will be cleaned out by who knows....I won't be here to see it all.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:30 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
We’ve downsized to half the house we had last year but I’m still donating or hoying stuff out. It was hard but very freeing. If something has been in a box or closet for a year then it’s time to let it go.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:06 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,599 times
Quote:

Not many people know that skit since he has done so many others and has passed away years ago.

"Stuff" and "Full of Shxx"

His humor is based on true life.

Getting rid of Stuff or giving it to charity is sometimes a releif.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:23 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
I don't see how this is so 'simple'. You have the internet and a computer. You can do anything on it that others do on phones and ipads. To me simple would mean you are using a fireplace instead of central heat/for cooking or something like that. No internet at all.

My neighbor is living more simply with a smart phone - no internet bill, no expense for computer. Gatta have some type of phone, this is cheaper to have all in one rather than a landline.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There have actually been studies that show that relying on technology for directions rewires your brain:

https://www.thecut.com/2017/01/using...direction.html
I believe it. I went to my newish Drs office several times with digital aid and couldn't ever remember how to get there the next time. Now that I used a map only ONE TIME, I got it. The picture of the route is in my head now.

When cell phones came out I refused to just press the button with the name of the person because then I wouldn't learn the number.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
You were rich folks.!
When i was a kid we had to walk barefoot 10
feet over shag rugs just to change tv channels.

Kids today are spoiled.
The struggle was real. When the 'clicker' came out, it was a think to behold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology