Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 08:09 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
For me simplifying my life is cooking large batches in the slow cooker and then using the microwave to reheat.
We don't use the slow cooker very often, but same concept - we make enough for multiple meals and then eat leftovers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 09:08 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
A simpler life doesn't mean a slower life. I'd never mix those two approaches. I value simpler, but not slower.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:57 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I have no choice but to keep it simple. My whole world the last 5 weeks has been physical therapy, couch, TV. Repeat 2 to 3 times a week. It's making me crazy. I can't wait to get back to my complicated life.

No microwave? Wow. I've never known anyone who didn't have one. I like technology. Especially the GPS.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:03 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I think I live a fairly simple life. While I do have an iPhone it's because I don't have a landline. I also have a very old laptop which is what I use to post on C-D. I don't have cable, just an antenna so I wind up watching a lot of old, really old TV shows during the summer especially.

I have a small 2 bedroom house, I drive a non-descript 4 door sedan, have a cat and dog and am pretty much a homebody. I rarely go out at night, I don't drink, quit smoking years ago and I eat mostly healthy. Pretty simple and sometimes a bit boring I admit.
I don't think I've ever been bored but I have lived in a very high energy town for 50 yrs, not the energy of say NY, but a different energy, holistically energetic. That's what I've loved about these 50some yrs here. So so much to pick and choose. And I'm so into holistic healing, it fits me to a T.

I would think a lot of the same stuff that FL has to offer, the two coasts are higher energy.

Growing up if I told my mom I was bored, she would hand me the bucket and fels napta soap and say scrub the floor. Guess it all rubbed off all my life.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:04 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I have no choice but to keep it simple. My whole world the last 5 weeks has been physical therapy, couch, TV. Repeat 2 to 3 times a week. It's making me crazy. I can't wait to get back to my complicated life.

No microwave? Wow. I've never known anyone who didn't have one. I like technology. Especially the GPS.
I have this block about nuking (radiating) my food. I know others who can't be bothered either, but most don't think like me.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:33 AM

813 posts, read 600,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have this block about nuking (radiating) my food. I know others who can't be bothered either, but most don't think like me.
You know that the microwave cooks by making water molecules vibrate, no harm in that.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:39 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Look up "Five" on the Enneagram.

Avarice.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:59 AM

35 posts, read 25,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Now I know most here are way younger than me but I'll throw it out anyway. I'm 80 soon. So I've seen a lot of life and made it just fine without today's expensive trinkets.

I don't want to hear about the ipads, smartphones, robotics etc etc....

I NEVER bought into a Microwave oven and ate very well all my life. And still do.

I NEVER bought into ipads, smartphones etc etc and just fine.

I resisted the desktop computer until 2005 and "did it"...but love it.

And unplugged cable last year, got rid of it and don't miss it for a second. Get all I "need" to know on my radio, NPR is a wealth of information. And other stations that I can find that are liberal enough for me.

Avoid so much political cwap and remember how I stayed up hours watching all that stuff on tv but enjoyed a lot of it for some yrs. I'm saving over $60/month with no tv.

I've done a lot in my life and enjoyed about all of it. Things probably many of you never have.

I know I'm not the only one on this planet who "Keeps It Simple",... but anyone here.
My son and daughter in law think similarly, but not exactly the same. Their philosophy of simplicity in life vs materialism is similar to yours. They do have a microwave and for convenience they use smartphones. They are 29 (my son) and 27 his wife. They "keep it simple" much like the life you describe. They do have a desktop computer, they don't have iPads or watch much TV, just like you don't. They don't want those things either, which is why they don't have them. I don't think it's an age related or "generation" thing, I think it is linked to personality and perhaps an above-average amount of intelligence.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:01 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
We don't use the slow cooker very often, but same concept - we make enough for multiple meals and then eat leftovers.
I only starting using the slow cooker more since moving to Pheonix

Old 06-26-2018, 12:24 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Well, life is sure simpler without a car! This was a real leap for us when retiring here, but with a great bus system and friends with cars, we don't miss it a bit. The cost savings is enormous.

We too make large batches of food then reheat in a microwave, saving extra pans and heat and time. Except left-over pizza---that goes on a cast-iron griddle to reheat---even better 2nd time around.

Haven't had TV for decades---just Netflix and some DVDs we've collected over the years. I miss the library more than anything, but thank God for Kindle and Bookbub, where we can download free or 99 cent books. I'd be lost without my Kindle down here. I never bought a book when I had the library.

We live on the ocean in 1,000 sq ft condo, and find this just right. Never bored with the beach just outside. Frisbee, ping-pong, strolling on the beach or sitting by the pool is just fine for us.

The money we save living here lets us travel occasionally, which is all the spending I'm interested in.

I do miss the movie theater once in a while, but it's worth the trade-off. We wanted a simpler life here and we got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology