Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 03:16 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times

Advertisements

Working on it. Getting rid of clutter is the hardest part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 08:21 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Now I know most here are way younger than me but I'll throw it out anyway. I'm 80 soon. So I've seen a lot of life and made it just fine without today's expensive trinkets.

I don't want to hear about the ipads, smartphones, robotics etc etc....

I NEVER bought into a Microwave oven and ate very well all my life. And still do.

I NEVER bought into ipads, smartphones etc etc and just fine.

I resisted the desktop computer until 2005 and "did it"...but love it.

And unplugged cable last year, got rid of it and don't miss it for a second. Get all I "need" to know on my radio, NPR is a wealth of information. And other stations that I can find that are liberal enough for me.

Avoid so much political cwap and remember how I stayed up hours watching all that stuff on tv but enjoyed a lot of it for some yrs. I'm saving over $60/month with no tv.

I've done a lot in my life and enjoyed about all of it. Things probably many of you never have.

I know I'm not the only one on this planet who "Keeps It Simple",... but anyone here.
Agree, mostly... the technology of 15 years ago serves my needs. Web sites are great, email is a wonderful tool, a flip phone comes in handy now and then. That's about it. Facebook seems pointless, Twitter is worse. And why would I want to look at the Internet on a phone when I have a 24" computer screen?

Microwaves are nice though -- you can fix a week's worth of food (with pots and pans), and then heat up each day's serving in a few minutes.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Agree, mostly... the technology of 15 years ago serves my needs. Web sites are great, email is a wonderful tool, a flip phone comes in handy now and then. That's about it. Facebook seems pointless, Twitter is worse. And why would I want to look at the Internet on a phone when I have a 24" computer screen?

Microwaves are nice though -- you can fix a week's worth of food (with pots and pans), and then heat up each day's serving in a few minutes.
We do agree a lot here. Being retired I have 24/7 to feed myself, cook whatever and just have no need for micro oven, never did and probably never will. I go out of this world never doing a twitter. And as much as FB pestered me, I never gave in. j

Old 06-27-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Working on it. Getting rid of clutter is the hardest part.
It's freeing getting rid of the albatrosses around our lives....

Old 06-27-2018, 09:52 PM

Wonder if all this Less Thinking and using our brains will cause dementia/alz to set in earlier in many. I won't be around to see it all but just thinking about it now. Gotta use the brains.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:54 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's freeing getting rid of the albatrosses around our lives....
Agreed. All dead weight must GO!!!!

Old 06-27-2018, 11:08 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
I think finding your way around depends on what kind of person you are. My mom doesn't drive and when my dad was alive, he drove her everywhere, including to the grocery store. Now she went to the store (ten miles away) once a week, times 52 weeks a year times the couple of years she lived in that town. When I was out there on vacation, I tried to drive her to the store and she couldn't tell me how to get there. "I just look at the scenery when your dad drives" is what she told me while I was hitting my head on the dashboard.

But at the age of ten, I could tell you exactly how to get to my grandmother's house 30 miles away, even though we only went there maybe once every couple of months.

My cousin is the same as my mom. She drives to work and she's over 50, yet she told me she's taken the same route to work (been in her job over 20 years now) and wouldn't know how else to get there. When I was back visiting them, I got hold of a paper map and drove all over the place, making a mental map of the area in my head. It's the first thing I do when I go to a new place.

To me, it's astonishing that people don't know the area outside their own neighborhood sometimes.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:08 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
I used to have a simple life, even with technology.

Then I became married.

Then I had children.

Now they are teenagers.

But the loss of simplicity was worth the price.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:40 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If the grid ever goes down, everyone will be as helpless as newborn babes. A good reason not to even use all this junk, much less become completely dependent upon it. It can be argued that technology has made our lives worse -- not better.

Sure.

We should all still be riding carriages and using horses. Should still be washing our clothes on rocks, and bathing in the river.

Pffft!

Old 06-28-2018, 10:57 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I've never owned a microwave, but I had no idea that they are the source of complexity in modern living. Who knew?

Last edited by randomparent; 06-28-2018 at 11:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology