Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 03:45 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times

Advertisements

Millennials grew up in households financed on maxed out credit cards and liar loans, went to school on debt that was ruled could not be wiped out even in bankruptcy, and got dumped on their rear end in the middle of a recession with debt because their parents insisted they go to college, but did not want to pay for it.

The parenting "you will listen to me!" was as demanding as millennials themselves. Where do you think they learned it?
The hypocrisy "you will go to college!" but "I'm not paying for your college, you can take student loans!"
The lack of respect parents earned themselves by trying to be both their child's friend and dictator.

Millennials will complain they're bored but not be able to tell you what it is they want. They want someone to entertain them, when they're not even in a mood to be receptive to it, and complain when attempts fail and they're not in some dopamine-induced laughing fit. It's a culmination of everything gone wrong in the developmental stages of child rearing that you can't fix later in life.

That's a stereotypical millennial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 05:03 PM

171 posts, read 145,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
They often lack Christ at the center of their life. Therefore, they look for temporary fixes to meet their need for security- $, status, physical appearance, relationships, drugs, sex, electronic gadgets, and internet friends. These only satisfy temporarily, so they remain insecure within themselves.
Lol what? As a millennial myself some of these hypothesis are a bit comical.

Of course everyone is different , but upbringing is a HUGE factor on how millennials are today. My parents where NEVER helicopter parents, they actually werent really good at being parents , thus I was raised by my very religious grandmother like alot of other classmates when I was a child.

When it comes to debt and etc, I believe the reason "some" milennials may not be satisfied or happy has alot to do with how we were taught as well, I didnt know anything about credit, interest rates, and loans until I was almost out of high school and even THEN I was still aloof. Noone really ever sat me down and told me what is credit...I learned alot on my own.

I wouldn't say were depressed but I would say that parents/ caretakers/ teachers do have alot to do with how some millenials have turned out compared to others.

Religion isnt a factor to why millennial use technology or the internet, we were born in the era where it was all created, so of course technology engulfed our lives, IM, AOL, Google, Myspace, Facebook all started when we were growing up.........no different now I see 3 years old working smartphones , why because its apart of their everyday life.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:05 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
My beloved aunt is one of the worst helicopter parents I've ever seen. Both she and my uncle work and her kids' grandparents have a lot of money, so they grew up in a very large house and never wanted for anything, were gifted cars at 16, etc etc.

Her two 20-something kids are still close to her, and to each other.

One of them already has a high-paid job and her future all set, while the other is an extremely entitled (but sweet) dreamer that has no idea what a bubble he lives in. They're both far more materialistic than I'd prefer, but generally decent people. I wonder how the dreamer is going to manage life when he finally realizes that not everybody was given money to travel the US and Europe, that large houses are extremely expensive, etc.

You just can't make generalizations about a whole generation.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:13 PM
RJ_

743 posts, read 392,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post

You just can't make generalizations about a whole generation.
There's nothing wrong with generalizations as long as you understand what they are.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:28 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Joke: If a Millennial is living with his mother-in-law, why would he be happy?

Old 06-26-2018, 05:50 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
There's nothing wrong with generalizations as long as you understand what they are.
I know what they are, and I think it's lazy discourse.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:52 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
You're certainly good with them and couple them with incorrect information.

You're what's called a two-fer.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:06 PM
RJ_

743 posts, read 392,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You're certainly good with them and couple them with incorrect information.
An accusation without supporting evidence gets thrown out. So, let's see your evidence of my incorrect information.

Last edited by RJ_; 06-26-2018 at 06:35 PM..

Old 06-26-2018, 06:38 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
An accusation without supporting evidence is gets thrown out. So, let's see your evidence of my incorrect information.

You first.

Quote:
Obviously the answer to the question OP poses is complex. One large component, however, is the economy. It can be argued and even soundly supported that the boomer generation trashed the economy, ran up trillions in deficit, caused unspeakable inflation and stagnant wages. One might get the idea that the boomer generation was an incredibly selfish generation, seeing as they passed on an insurmountable financial burden to the following generations. So it's only natural that a generation of people who were handed a raw deal economically, might not be so happy about it, especially given the fact that their parents are comfy, living off of borrowed money while oblivious as to why things are so difficult for their children.
Just one: unspeakable inflation. When in the last 20 years? Or even 25?

You do realize that the seeds of most of your whine were sown in the 1950s and 60s when the reins of government were held by the WWI (born in the late 1800s) and WWII generations?

What "borrowed money"?

Old 06-26-2018, 06:38 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Im not happy in my personal life because i am still living with my parents and i have no girlfriend and i am not married.I am pushing 30 and i will be happier when i get my business off the ground and i can afford to live in a better town away from my parents.I will also be happier when i am married and have kids ....hopefully that happens at some point,Lord willing....I am a millenial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology