Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 06:59 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

I am a Boomer, so of course I cannot speak for young adults, but I think this video goes a very long way to explaining why so many Millennials are so unhappy/dissatisfied. It has over 9 million views, but for those who have not yet seen it, I very highly recommend it. It is 15 minutes long, but it is far from boring, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hER0Qp6QJNU

I liked all of it, but I especially liked what he said about the addictive nature of social media and cellphones -- he compared it to alcohol or gambling addiction, which I think is absolutely true. (And I can relate to it because I am guilty of checking C-D about a dozen times a day just to see if I have received any "Likes". )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 07:22 AM

937 posts, read 743,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am a Boomer, so of course I cannot speak for young adults, but I think this video goes a very long way to explaining why so many Millennials are so unhappy/dissatisfied. It has over 9 million views, but for those who have not yet seen it, I very highly recommend it. It is 15 minutes long, but it is far from boring, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hER0Qp6QJNU

I liked all of it, but I especially liked what he said about the addictive nature of social media and cellphones -- he compared it to alcohol or gambling addiction, which I think is absolutely true. (And I can relate to it because I am guilty of checking C-D about a dozen times a day just to see if I have received any "Likes". )
I've had more time on my hands lately and have noticed some addictive behaviors surrounding citydata use as well. I check to see if anyone responded or liked my comments as well . At night when going to sleep, my mind has been racing more and I wondered if it was from clicking from topic to topic and quickly reading the info. I'm trying to nip it in the bud and only check it in the mornings and evenings now!

Of course, the Buddha was talking about unhappiness a few thousand years ago so he must've noticed the youth even way back then were prone to it!

Last edited by Chloe333; 06-26-2018 at 07:50 AM..

Old 06-26-2018, 08:19 AM

378 posts, read 229,981 times
Well for starters the economy plummeted back when we were all just starting out in our adult lives.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:20 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams2013 View Post
Well for starters the economy plummeted back when we were all just starting out in our adult lives.
As it did for the largest sub-cohort of Boomers. Rolling recessions starting around 1973 into the 1980s with a major meltdown in the late 1970s which saw entire industries, mostly in manufacturing, collapse and not return. That was coupled with double digit inflation and unemployment as well as interest rates topping 20%.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:32 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
Great video and speaker. Enjoyed it! Thanks!

Old 06-26-2018, 08:38 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
70% of star bucks are college grads pay? $9.34 an hour
Half of what I made at armco steel mill while a freshman at u of Houston in 1968
You don’t think that would make you mad????
How about a big fat student loan to boot?

Old 06-26-2018, 08:47 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Well, if my life comprised only the years that millennials have been around, I'd be unhappy and depressed too. Think of all the nonsense that's bloomed in the past decades, including the ranting and foaming-at-the-mouth of politicians and growth of extremist media (so called "news"). We're surrounded by junk and reminders of junk everyday, wherever we go. People are also lost in electronics and technology, where before people would simply enjoy time with others. There's a huge disconnect between people these days.

I'm so thankful I've lived and seen happier, healthier, and more positive times in this country, such as the 60s and 70s. I don't know where I'd be without the positive anchor of those years, and that they occurred during my developing years as well.

It's really sad that culture and changes have handed these younger people such a worse-off and lower-par country. It's none of their faults, and they deserve so much better.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-26-2018 at 09:05 AM..

Old 06-26-2018, 08:51 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams2013 View Post
They have seen a lot of "cataclysmic" events:
*The recession of the late 80s-early 90s.
*The dotcom bubble bursting.
*9/11
*The Rise of the Bushbarians and the Fall of Citizen Rights & Privacy.
*The Rise of SWAT - over 100 raids/day.
*The Great Repression of 2008-2012.
*The exploding and uncontrolled debt that threatens to drown us all.
*Never ending warfare against a largely imagined enemy.
*Rise of the Ingsoc Sheep Herder/Thought Cop
*Absolute disintegration of any privacy whatsoever without taking extraordinary measures.
*Political divide that is magnitudes worse than previous generations witnesses.
*Concept and enforcement of "toxic masculinity".
*Expectation for females to become doctors and lawyers and engineers, CEOs etc.
*Instant gratification for so many things.
*The frequent loss of socialization enhanced by real world dating, drinking, driving, and working.
*Rise of the Killer Cop and militarization of the police force via MRAPs and other battlefield equipment. Over three citizens/day. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...olice-by-race/
*The illegalization of, well, most everything. Over 70,000 laws resulting in incarceration rates seven fold that of the 70's. We had the worlds highest rates in the 70's. Now operating in unexplored country.
*Political correctness coupled with militant enforcement
*The quality of food nutrition has deteriorated substantially unless one works hard and/or spends a lot more.
*Unaffordable housing.
*Unaffordable new cars.
*Rise of fake news that doesn't even try to be anything more than propaganda.
*It is hard for the "real world" to compete with the internet. Yet the internet is not an entirely healthy, happy environment.

My goodness, they really were dealt the proverbial "bad hand" as Simone Sinek succinctly puts it.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:58 AM

378 posts, read 229,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
They have seen a lot of "cataclysmic" events:
*The recession of the late 80s-early 90s.
*The dotcom bubble bursting.
*9/11
*The Rise of the Bushbarians and the Fall of Citizen Rights & Privacy.
*The Rise of SWAT - over 100 raids/day.
*The Great Repression of 2008-2012.
*The exploding and uncontrolled debt that threatens to drown us all.
*Never ending warfare against a largely imagined enemy.
*Rise of the Ingsoc Sheep Herder/Thought Cop
*Absolute disintegration of any privacy whatsoever without taking extraordinary measures.
*Political divide that is magnitudes worse than previous generations witnesses.
*Concept and enforcement of "toxic masculinity".
*Expectation for females to become doctors and lawyers and engineers, CEOs etc.
*Instant gratification for so many things.
*The frequent loss of socialization enhanced by real world dating, drinking, driving, and working.
*Rise of the Killer Cop and militarization of the police force via MRAPs and other battlefield equipment. Over three citizens/day. [url]https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/[/url]
*The illegalization of, well, most everything. Over 70,000 laws resulting in incarceration rates seven fold that of the 70's. We had the worlds highest rates in the 70's. Now operating in unexplored country.
*Political correctness coupled with militant enforcement
*The quality of food nutrition has deteriorated substantially unless one works hard and/or spends a lot more.
*Unaffordable housing.
*Unaffordable new cars.
*Rise of fake news that doesn't even try to be anything more than propaganda.
*It is hard for the "real world" to compete with the internet. Yet the internet is not an entirely healthy, happy environment.

My goodness, they really were dealt the proverbial "bad hand" as Simone Sinek succinctly puts it.
I think you meant recession, although repression of sadness and anger probably did a number on the generation's mental health at the time.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:01 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Who's the speaker? He looks like he could be in the oldest cohort of Millennials, pretending to be a Gen-Xer, lol.

I think this is pandering to stereotypes. Many millennials did not grow up with helicopter parents who over-protected them. Many are out in the world, developing their careers, implementing a unique vision, or going to grad school in 21-st Century fields, like Environmental Economics. I see a generation of go-getters. I'd like to know the numbers, if there are any; the percentage of those struggling and depressed, among the whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology