U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 11:37 PM

4 posts, read 3,471 times

Advertisements

I don't know what has been hitting me lately, but I am starting to realize my mortality and my parents mortality. Makes life feel impersonal and slightly depressing. Like my parents getting older then they pass away then life simply moves on, friends come and go. The friends you make, most will disappear and all would be left is a spouse if you can get one. Life passing me by and I am not living the life I want. Just working in a job I don't like to keep up with bills and then pass away. Worst of all is I make low income not enough to really enjoy life. I guess this is the rat race. What I want is more money and less of my time lol. I need to find a passion or something. I am constantly working and it sucks. For the amount of time I put in the income is not enough.

Currently planning to go back to school for nursing where I can work 3 days a week and make a decent income or become a NP in the future. Not something I am really passionate about, but is something that is a step towards the right direction. I am already 27 and I feel like I haven't been able to live life on my terms. What I really want is a good income that doesn't require a lot of my time and be able to start doing various hobbies and projects without worrying about making bills. More time for myself and resources so I can do what I want to do. Not feel obligated to do anything. Waking up 7 everyday sitting in traffic to arrive to a place I don't want to be. sigh....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 12:24 AM

37,418 posts, read 46,583,023 times
It's pretty common, and kind of a rite of passage.

27 feels right now to you like you've gotten so old and haven't hit your stride, but you're actually at a really great age to make major shake-up changes...especially if you don't have a lot typing you down, at this point, responsibility-wise.

I will caution you that the magical unicorn most people are chasing is making more money doing less, and it takes a lot of homework and perseverance to finagle. And it's important to remember that even in jobs you love and find fulfilling and make you the kind of money you always dreamed of, sometimes it's going to be the place you're obligated to go to that you don't want to be at. Obligations are just, ultimately, a part of life. You can tailor your life so you have as few as possible, but you're never gonna fully escape them, so it's best to figure out a way you can make peace with the reality that some will always be there. You can certainly take steps to improve your life. But envisioning a perfect world where every day is the Best Day Ever and packed with Only Things You Love Doing And Never Anything Mundane isn't a realistic view, either.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:08 AM

27,089 posts, read 8,070,216 times
If you aren't passionate about nursing, consider another vocation.

You obviously have no clue to the profound dedication, mental and physical stamina and integrity to work in this profession. Even if you did get 12 hr work days and more time off, those work days are 12 hrs of no sitting, on your feet all day...hard work and are extremely tiresome. You have to push beyond what is acceptable to your body.

Without the passion, you'll be a mediocre nurse, something not needed in the world today.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:56 PM

23,028 posts, read 6,287,551 times
ya i know what you mean....it depresses me too but im just glad im Christian so i dont have to worry about death.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:50 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,030,711 times
*gives a hug*, this thread took me back to my mid 20's when I discovered quarter life crisis & realize I had it too. Went thru all the emotions. Prior to that I didn't even know it exist. I hit mine bit younger and my source of worry was different. Two things that got me thru was

1) This is the time to experience as much as I can in life. I too felt like life was passing me by and I haven't lived in my terms. I was doing things my parents wanted, my teach wanted, and now my boss wanted. I didn't have much hobbies or "my own thing". I too went back to school but I was not going to wait for few more years to enjoy life. I started experimenting: good, bad, crazy. It didn't matter because soon I will be true "adult" & can't do crazy things. Our 20's are for experiencing. The quarter life crisis was a turning point in my life & it was full of madness but looking back, I am so glad I embraced the madness. PICK UP HOBBIES, TRAVEL, ATTEND EVENTS/PARTIES, HOST PARTIES, TAKE FUN CLASSES..ETC

2) Realize this too shall pass. Every problem you are facing, every struggle will be solved and become a distance memory just like how your final exam for a tough class in college is just a distance memory now. In 5 years, none of your current worry will be there. So don't worry too much

Good luck

Old 07-06-2018, 11:47 PM

37,418 posts, read 46,583,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post

1) This is the time to experience as much as I can in life. I too felt like life was passing me by and I haven't lived in my terms. I was doing things my parents wanted, my teach wanted, and now my boss wanted. I didn't have much hobbies or "my own thing". I too went back to school but I was not going to wait for few more years to enjoy life. I started experimenting: good, bad, crazy. It didn't matter because soon I will be true "adult" & can't do crazy things. Our 20's are for experiencing. The quarter life crisis was a turning point in my life & it was full of madness but looking back, I am so glad I embraced the madness. PICK UP HOBBIES, TRAVEL, ATTEND EVENTS/PARTIES, HOST PARTIES, TAKE FUN CLASSES..ETC
Yep...my mid-to-late twenties were marked by a lot of stressful uncertainty...having majored in one thing but not sure I wanted to follow my original career path of choice, so dabbling in some other industries and fields...moving several times to new communities while exploring that, starting over in a new place each time...getting over a college-era heartbreak and missing my college friends...navigating the dating world for the first time out on my own as a young adult...working my way up in some pretty hardscrabble fields where creative budgeting was a necessity...being the token young 'un at my most significant place of employment and all the baggage that can go with that.

But despite the uncertainties and growing pains and lessons hard-learned from experience, I also knew that that was my time to live a little. I had my struggles, but I was also pretty free and unfettered, which was a valuable gift. I knew that the time to do my own thing, make some adventurous choices, take some risks, etc. was then, before I had things like mortgages and car payments and a partner and kids and blah blah blah. So, I did. I really kind of grabbed life...would log on to my closest local airline, and see what was a cheapie, gotta-get-away" fare, and just take a long weekend and go, no matter what the destination. I'd audit college classes, like film and art classes, just for fun. I had online friends I made on messageboard communities, and occasionally, we'd have big meetups, and they became real-life friends that have gone on to endure for 20 years after the fact. I dated a lot of different men in different walks of life, stepped out of my comfort zone in many ways. I did it on a seriously shoestring budget, too. It's a great time in life to just sort of find ways to do the things you've always wanted to do.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:44 PM

2,127 posts, read 3,265,208 times
27?? you're golden haha.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:34 PM

20 posts, read 15,374 times
I have been under this thought cloud for a year or so now, it is so depressing and I totally understand. I am late twenties and feel like the decisions I have made over the past few years and even the ones I make now have been so defining for the course of my life. Oh what I would do differently. I went to grad school and while I make pretty decent income, I see none of it due to student debt and having to live on my own for so long is expensive. I also have this awful feeling in the pit of my stomach about the pressure to start a family....I can barely care for myself let alone anyone else. I grew up thinking I’d marry and have kids and a husband to take care of responsibilities...wow has it been a wake up call. I wish my parents taught me differently back then. I work 50 hours a week just to survive and pay debt. I work with sick and elderly people, so the reality of how short life is stares me in the face everyday. If I find out what the answer is, I will come back and let you know. Daydreaming about running away hasn’t helped yet

Old 07-10-2018, 08:48 PM

88,483 posts, read 82,551,018 times
OP, you probably wouldn't get a 3-day schedule until you'd gained some seniority. The more senior nurses get to pick their schedule. But even that's changing; some hospitals are moving away from those 3-day schedules. Still, a 4-day schedule wouldn't be bad. But you have to work up to it. In the beginning, you'll be the low woman o the totem pole, and will be working 4 days.

My sister-in-law eventually got on the preemie ward: for premature infants. She's done that for much of her career, now. It's a relatively easy assignment. You might find a niche like that, eventually. But don't expect to get everything you want right away.

How are you with science, chemistry? There will be plenty of that in your schooling for the nursing profession.Even a basic anatomy & physiology course has chemistry.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:37 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,035,338 times
All books got covers on the front and the back.

I get sad and scared about it too but, there's nothing we can do about it.

Also, if you spend all your time worrying it makes it hard to fill what few pages you do have with anything worth reading or writing about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology