Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 04:54 PM

78 posts, read 66,262 times

Advertisements

Going to the same shop and deal with the same clerk, interacting with a coworker, having breakfast in a bar with the same waiter everyday….that type of stuff kills me.

I need to feel that every second is new and different...every situation out from a movie, like if I had a script and knew that I am nailing this scene and there will be a different scene tomorrow and a new movie the next week.

I can´t stand small talk. Can´t stand sitting on a bench with a group of people and talk in a relaxed way about nothing in particular...I need everything to be special.

Deal great with short and quick interactions. I can be witty and sharp and sophisticated...but give me some forced regularity and I feel trapped and panic... feel my mask and my acing will be noticed, and people sooner or later will start talking on my back..."what's wrong with that guy?".

So...I have an extremely lonely life and avoid regular social interactions as much as I can. Thankfuly I live in a big city, its easy to be just a random stranger. Every now and again I obsess about somebody and force myself in the picture...which makes the situation collapse eventually and I flee once again.

I was told by a doctor I seemed to have a bit of autism, but was not diagnosed. Borderline personality is also an option.

Anyways...I was wondering is there's anyone out there in the same shoes with somethng useful to share...

Last edited by elmejor77; 07-04-2018 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 05:32 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmejor77 View Post
Going to the same shop and deal with the same clerk, interacting with a coworker, having breakfast in a bar with the same waiter everyday….that type of stuff kills me.
Go to a different shop or bar.
Quote:
I can´t stand small talk. Can´t stand sitting on a bench with a group of people and talk in a relaxed way about nothing in particular...I need everything to be special.
But you're setting yourself up for a fail. Life is full of the mundane. You need mundane to for the special to be truly special. Otherwise, it's all mundane.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:09 PM

937 posts, read 743,177 times
Quote:
.I can´t stand small talk. Can´t stand sitting on a bench with a group of people and talk in a relaxed way about nothing in particular...I need everything to be special.

Deal great with short and quick interactions. I can be witty and sharp and sophisticated...but give me some forced regularity and I feel trapped and panic... feel my mask and my acing will be noticed, and people sooner or later will start talking on my back..."what's wrong with that guy?".
So what is it that you fear? People seeing you as boring, unintelligent, not special, strange, awkward? What is going on at the root of the trapped, panicked feeling?

Are you uncomfortable with the bench scenario because that means you are in a situation where people are just being themselves and you can't do this as well? Is it because you are more comfortable with wearing a mask or contrived identity and so the bench situation where people are just being their regular old selves threatens that?

Old 07-05-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
So what is it that you fear? People seeing you as boring, unintelligent, not special, strange, awkward? What is going on at the root of the trapped, panicked feeling?

Are you uncomfortable with the bench scenario because that means you are in a situation where people are just being themselves and you can't do this as well? Is it because you are more comfortable with wearing a mask or contrived identity and so the bench situation where people are just being their regular old selves threatens that?

Yes, it's a fear of ankward silences, or some weird stares, or some negative energy going on that prevents the natural flow of things. I am good at "emotional hit and runs", make a charming comment here, a great joke there, create a nice and powerful impression and leave. The problem is when those interactions become a regular feature...it's like there was a little voice whispering in my head, "sooner or later they will see negative things inside of you…".

Old 07-05-2018, 10:51 AM

937 posts, read 743,177 times
Quote:
I need to feel that every second is new and different...every situation out from a movie, like if I had a script and knew that I am nailing this scene and there will be a different scene tomorrow and a new movie the next week.

It sounds like you could be mostly operating from a place of ego with people. You may be interacting with others more as a performer needing to perform for them as your audience. In the case of narcissists, and I am not saying you are one, it's called getting narcissistic supply from others. If you need to perceive yourself as very special and need to project this often when with others then some degree of narcissistic personality disorder (which exists on a spectrum) could be a possibility.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
It sounds like you could be mostly operating from a place of ego with people. You may be interacting with others more as a performer needing to perform for them as your audience. In the case of narcissists, and I am not saying you are one, it's called getting narcissistic supply from others. If you need to perceive yourself as very special and need to project this often when with others then some degree of narcissistic personality disorder (which exists on a spectrum) could be a possibility.
I guess, a little bit. Thanks for the comment, it's always interesting to hear opinions.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:59 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Some people get a lot of comfort from the mundane, the routine, the predictable. It may feel like a resting place in a river. Others don't. They want the thrill, the unexpected, the risky. I don't think they have an actual fear of the mundane however. If they feel fear, it's of something more subtle within themselves.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
To me what your situation is about, is fear. You fear being known.

When you get tired of feeling fear about small interactions, seek out a talk therapist and see if there are ways to ease your fears.

This might be social anxiety. Look it up and see what you think.

I have a lesser but similar aversion. I put on a happy, positive front, but ultimately, reveal little about my inner thoughts. I’m not exactly a closed book, but I do have some of the same fears as you. When I trust someone though, I open up more. I get your feelings, but think you could probably learn to deal with them better than you do.

Good luck with your journey of self discovery.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
To me what your situation is about, is fear. You fear being known.

When you get tired of feeling fear about small interactions, seek out a talk therapist and see if there are ways to ease your fears.

This might be social anxiety. Look it up and see what you think.

I have a lesser but similar aversion. I put on a happy, positive front, but ultimately, reveal little about my inner thoughts. I’m not exactly a closed book, but I do have some of the same fears as you. When I trust someone though, I open up more. I get your feelings, but think you could probably learn to deal with them better than you do.

Good luck with your journey of self discovery.
Thanks for the kind words.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:36 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Yeah, see a therapist. As sil suggested, this really sounds like social anxiety to me. Which, as someone who has suffered from it, I can tell you is by and large overcome by just getting over yourself and out of your own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology