Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 04:58 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

I can't believe I'm the first to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWw15UgPubY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 05:06 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
This guy is a creep and knows exactly what he’s doing. Now, what are you going to do about it? You should be bringing this to someone’s attention ASAP.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:31 PM

5 posts, read 4,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
It's not normal for your boss to sidle up and talk right into your ear. It would make me feel very uncomfortable.

I'd try to see if you can spot how he approaches other employees for chats.
I don't really see him do it with others but I'm the only girl in our space. He doesn't seem to do this with any of the male employees I work with.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:32 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexie2795 View Post
I don't really see him do it with others but I'm the only girl in our space. He doesn't seem to do this with any of the male employees I work with.
OK, so you know he's not just a close talker. He's definitely a creep. Ignoring it won't make it get better.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:59 PM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
Yep, it's creepy behavior, but maybe the guy is just clueless or just likes how your hair smells, or some other stupid thing. When he does it, deliberately step back away when you turn to him, before you answer. This is body language that says, "back off," and you can see if he gets it. If he doesn't, or continues, you may have to decide to say something.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:18 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexie2795 View Post
There is this guy, who is my boss, who seems to always try to talk to me in my ear towards my side and I always have to turn to face him. He's tall and slouches when he does this to make sure he is speaking drictley in my ear (To give you a picture I'm 5'7 and he is nearing 6'0) and is always too close for comfort. He never seems to approach me directly and most of the time I don't even notice he is there before he approaches me like this.
I'd start reacting in a loud over dramatic way every time he does this.....I would grossly exaggerate to call attention to his creepy behavior, in a loud voice tell him that he startled you creeping up on you.........he likely will stop because he obviously doesn't want others to see him creeping up on you.

If you think you are being harassed by his behaviors contact dept. of labor.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:42 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
This guy is a creep and knows exactly what he’s doing. Now, what are you going to do about it? You should be bringing this to someone’s attention ASAP.
Yes. He does. Know what he is doing. Trust your gut. Go with your instinct. He is trying to intimidate you by invading your space, and he knows it.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:44 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
If you feel it's creepy, it's creepy. Trust your gut--and DO NOT be "nice" or worry about being polite, and find yourself alone with him. And please read:

The Gift of Fear and Other Survival Signals that Protect Us From Violence
by Gavin de Becker
https://www.amazon.com/Other-Surviva...e+Gift+of+Fear

Don't you dare not trust yourself. You could be hurt, raped, even killed! Hope not, probably not, but not impossible.

this right here is the best advice . trust your gut it is there for a reason indeed .

Old 07-06-2018, 11:46 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There doesn't seem to be any real indication that it's more than he's unaware of standard needs for personal space.

People do that to me sometimes, and I feel like I'm playing chase around the room. They move in too close, I back up. They move in too close, I back up. If they back me up against a wall or another person, I turn to be at an angle.

And these are almost always women acquaintances, a few times males. They're not threatening, have no intention of harming me, they just have a very small personal space bubble.

OP, if your boss has never said anything questionable, or never tried to touch you, he's just a personal space clueless guy. I certainly would not aggressively confront him about it, but maybe you could just move away a little.
I read somewhere awhile back how different cultures have different personal spaces. Some will get right up close to you while talking. I feel better around 3 ft away, or so unless they have to whisper something to me. Here are some search results for that topic if anyone wants to explore it . It's kind of interesting.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diff...hrome&ie=UTF-8
--------------------------------------------

Old 07-06-2018, 11:46 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
also go to hr in your company and let them know he is creating a uncomfortable work environment and you want it stopped or you will be seeing an attorney and suing their pants off .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology