U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2018, 10:12 PM

6 posts, read 3,093 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I have encountered and unmasked a person who has been doing the following on the internet for roughly 15 years.

My question for all the readers is: what kind of a diagnosis would you give to this person?

A certain man, lets call him John has been pretending to be a girl on the internet for 15 years. John is extremely intelligent, his verbal IQ is off the charts.

His fun was finding men, presenting them a highly feminine, very sensual, very sexual girl. Most men who started talking to John simply couldnt stop. John's trap was to shower to victim with attention, pictures, to appeal to their sexuality and intellect. Once the man has become addicted John would promise him a meeting and amazing mind blowing sex. It all sounds banal but in reality it was a very unusual and interesting person to talk to. After a period of playing the sweet girl card John would slowly start changing into a dominant destructive force which would submit the man to his will, psychologically exhaust him and abuse him. Every victim confessed that this process happened gradually and eventually they were starting to lose their psyche.

John had no interest in typical males who can be vulnerable to catfishing, such as lonely nerds or less developed individuals. His favourite "clients" were successful married men of 30-50 years of age. All of them became interested, intrigued, fascinated in the catfish. Everyone was being led on for the entire duration of the "relationship", they were going to meet the girl "soon", it was always just a matter of time.

He tried the same **** with me but something went wrong. I was able to prove that his female character was in fact fiction, the pics were stolen and his life story was full of lies. When I confronted John with evidence he quickly confessed that all of it was in fact a lie, that in reality he is a gay man who was doing this to get "positive emotions". Then he vanished but left a facebook account with 100s of friends. Most of them were "pursuing" catfish and were shocked when I told them the truth.

As a result of his 15 year old career in catfishing there are some guys who lost sanity while being catfished, at least one attempted suicide, several ended up visiting shrinks, there are several men who were dumped by their girlfriends, at least one guy got divorced when his wife had enough of seeing her husband paying more attention to his phone than to her for years etc etc. The damage is massive.

When the victims mind was caught, John would start treating him worse and worse, the miracle girl then became a self absorbed attention seeker who kept talking mostly about herself only. To great frustration of all these men.

To each of the men who were waiting to finally meet this girl the catfish also showed a picture of an erected penis while saying that it belongs to one of the lovers of the girl..I assume he was showing his own penis.

So the question is: why would some1 spend 15 years building and maintaining an army of suitors while realizing that most of these men were suffering as a result? He didnt do it for money since none of the victims were ever asked to pay him.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-07-2018, 10:21 PM

87,816 posts, read 81,538,757 times
Psychopathy?

Old 07-08-2018, 04:42 PM

2,167 posts, read 1,191,141 times
Catfishing. The world we live in, eh?

When I was a kid-- before the internet--friends and I pranked random strangers by calling them and, in my best radio voice, telling them they were live on air with various celebrities my friends would pretend to be.

Such fun and joy we had, and we knew nothing of this 'catfishing'.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 3,093 times
Doing this as a kid is one thing, doing it as an intellectually very developed adult is something else. Such highly intelligent people are VERY rare, not just online but in life in general.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:59 AM

5,187 posts, read 2,415,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofcity View Post
His fun was finding men, presenting them a highly feminine, very sensual, very sexual girl. Most men who started talking to John simply couldnt stop. John's trap was to shower to victim with attention, pictures, to appeal to their sexuality and intellect. Once the man has become addicted John would promise him a meeting and amazing mind blowing sex. It all sounds banal but in reality it was a very unusual and interesting person to talk to. After a period of playing the sweet girl card John would slowly start changing into a dominant destructive force which would submit the man to his will, psychologically exhaust him and abuse him. Every victim confessed that this process happened gradually and eventually they were starting to lose their psyche.
Meh. Old news. Sounds like most women I met online in mid 2000's. They'd chat with me on AIM for an hour each night (man, do I feel old mentioning it ), regaling me with life stories and sharing their problems. Heck, one woman had more baggage than a cargo ship. I figured it was par for the course with online dating, and was willing to put in the time and be patient. That they flirted pretty well, while playing the "poor girl who's been hurt before" card. I fell for it. Some people claim there was a woman to blame, but it was my own damn fault.

What was happening in reality, is they were using me as an emotional dumping ground and a source of free validation, and never planned on meeting me in the first place. And I should have known better than to enable their emotional parasitism. The only difference was that those women didn't turn into psychos. (They probably figured what they were doing was bad enough.) They just stopped writing when they got bored. Or more recently, when I figured them out and told them to go pound sand.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:20 AM

18,606 posts, read 16,556,316 times
LOL @ "unmasked." How dramatic!

So, OP, dd your wife bust you for sexting with a hot stranger who turned out to be a man? Is that the root of your obsession here?

Old 07-09-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Meh. Old news. Sounds like most women I met online in mid 2000's. They'd chat with me on AIM for an hour each night (man, do I feel old mentioning it ), regaling me with life stories and sharing their problems. Heck, one woman had more baggage than a cargo ship. I figured it was par for the course with online dating, and was willing to put in the time and be patient. That they flirted pretty well, while playing the "poor girl who's been hurt before" card. I fell for it. Some people claim there was a woman to blame, but it was my own damn fault.

What was happening in reality, is they were using me as an emotional dumping ground and a source of free validation, and never planned on meeting me in the first place. And I should have known better than to enable their emotional parasitism. The only difference was that those women didn't turn into psychos. (They probably figured what they were doing was bad enough.) They just stopped writing when they got bored. Or more recently, when I figured them out and told them to go pound sand.
And they all turned out to be men catfishing you too? Strange that you never caught on!

Old 07-09-2018, 10:35 AM

5,187 posts, read 2,415,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
And they all turned out to be men catfishing you too? Strange that you never caught on!
I'm pretty sure they were actual women, at least. Or for all I know, they could have been dudes, getting their jollies from stringing someone along. Then again, if they could afford to chat for an hour each night, just to waste someone else's time, and come up with conversation topics for it, they didn't have much of a life.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:13 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,503,430 times
People without any power in their real lives can be, I'm sure, intrigued by the apparent ease of creating that type of power dynamic online in a completely anonymous and "safe" way. People outside society, or bullied people, or 'rejects' can sometimes, it seems, grab for any type of dominance they can find because it's the only way they can get acceptance in their minds. Who knows? I'm no professional.

I've known a few people who playfully pretended to be someone else for a short while online or on an MMO. There was absolutely no taking advantage going on other than a night's flirtation or some laughs. No one asked for money and there was definitely no psychological trauma like the person in the OP caused.

Obviously, that is an extreme example of the whole catfishing thing and definitely takes it outside the bounds of normal, healthy mental state.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'm pretty sure they were actual women, at least.
Well then, you are in the wrong thread and your #MeToo victim story is nonsensical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology