Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 09:38 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Unless they are asking in a certain way, one that implies their plans are much better than your own, I really don't see the issue here. They are probably just trying to be friendly.
Yes. I think the OP feels that he is constantly being evaluated. Yes, some people do judge you. Then others may be exploring common interests. And yet others are probably just making small talk.

You never know until you say "Why do you ask?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 09:46 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else get bothered when people ask you personal questions about your holiday or weekend plans?

I always find this rude. For one thing, maybe I don't want to tell them my plans. For another, maybe I don't have a big event planned for a holiday, and so I always feel uncomfortable and awkward.

What do you think? Do you consider it rude to ask these questions? How do you handle it when you don't have an interesting answer?
it doesnt bother me at all. it's all chit-chat. they are not really interested in your plans and there is nothing wrong with simply answering that you are going to relax and do nothing.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:06 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
How would you feel about someone you don't know very well asking when and where you are going to be on a certain day? It's kind of the same thing. If I'm friends with the person it's different, that's the kind of thing that I would probably talk about comfortably. But not if they are just an acquaintance. I get questions like that from people I really don't know that well, as if it's just small talk. It's really not.
What kind of things are they asking? "Are you going to the fireworks tomorrow?" isn't the same as asking for your ATM pin or inviting themselves to your home. Your insecurity about not having plans doesn't make idle small talk malicious.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:30 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Does anyone else get bothered when people ask you personal questions about your holiday or weekend plans?

I always find this rude. For one thing, maybe I don't want to tell them my plans. For another, maybe I don't have a big event planned for a holiday, and so I always feel uncomfortable and awkward.

What do you think? Do you consider it rude to ask these questions? How do you handle it when you don't have an interesting answer?
I don't think people mean it to be rude; it's mostly just an excuse to, after pretending to listen to your plans, tell you all about THEIR plans (if they're asking, you may be sure they have some).

Old 07-11-2018, 11:32 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:

It’s a normal question to me. It’s just making small talk.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:33 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,673,816 times
If they despised you or didn't care one iota about your life, they wouldn't bother with such innocent, friendly small-talk. The mere fact that they ask says that they are reaching out, trying to start a conversation. So I urge you to accept their reaching out as friendliness, rather than view it with suspicion.

Sometimes even small-talk can feel weird, like if I randomly asked you, "What are some of your hobbies?" It could feel weirdly out of place. But if a holiday is in a couple days, and I ask you about your plans, to most people, it feels relevant and timely, an easy way to start a conversation.

Even if you have no plans (as I often don't), just smile and say, "Oh not much, just gonna relax on my day off, how about you?" or something similar.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:03 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
I think you are overreacting to friendly small talk.

I get asked every Friday/Monday from coworkers I am not close to. I'll say something like "Lots of chores" or "not sure yet, HOW ABOUT YOU?" or "I had a lot of work to do around the house" or "i was just chilling."

Old 07-11-2018, 12:05 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
In the poster's defense: I know it can sometimes be taken as a "dig" -- or even be a deliberate "dig" -- for someone always partying with family and friends to ask you about your plans when he or she knows darn well you most likely don't have plans. It happens. People can be mean. It's a way of feeling superior.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:05 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
Dude, you're making life waaaaay harder than it should be.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:34 PM

44,349 posts, read 20,053,982 times
Quote:
How would you feel about someone you don't know very well asking when and where you are going to be on a certain day? It's kind of the same thing. If I'm friends with the person it's different, that's the kind of thing that I would probably talk about comfortably. But not if they are just an acquaintance. I get questions like that from people I really don't know that well, as if it's just small talk. It's really not.
Yes, it is just small talk. Several posters have made good suggestions as to how to answer if you don't care to share your plans or lack thereof. Simply say something to the effect of, "Nothing special. How about you?"

It's really not a big deal at all. I highly doubt anyone is trying to make you feel uncomfortable by asking such an innocent question.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology