Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 06:46 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,426,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So you can tell someone’s personality from a photo? That’s some talent you got there.
Oh, I don't know - I'm getting a pretty good idea of at least one individual's personality from their online postings. That could be a similar talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 10:23 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Fair enough. But it's still a big deal to me. And it could be helpful to others who are going through that same experience now. Personally, I wish I had known someone years ago who could have helped me see this all more clearly at the time. These people think they are really the only ones created in God's image. And everyone else is condemned for all eternity. It's a really big thing in this country. I'm sorry that you can't see how this could be problematic.

Did you mean to say county?
Its not a "big thing" in this country, something that extreme is realty a minority belief system in actuality. Most people nowadays, including most Christians here, really aren't that certain that "everyone else is condemned for all eternity." Its entirely incompatible with the idea of a merciful God, and most people have doubts anyway.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:24 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,631 times
Could be true. I am a Libertarian Christian Conservative and not attractive. ...Well done OP.... Well done.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:02 PM

757 posts, read 837,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I put that word in quotes because some might get a different impression from my title. But have you ever wondered why a person would choose to have so many "ugly" friends and people their lives?

I'm not judging people who are fat or non-traditional looking, or doing anything like that. Some of them might be endowed physically or blessed with good features. I'm referring to the facial expressions. You can tell a lot about people's personalities from their photos. Some of them look almost mentally "sick" and you wonder why they would want to be around so many people like that.

I think I'm pretty average, personally. But I think I get along with most people on some level. I try to accept all kinds of people. Such as the people I come into contact with every day. And I think that we should try to get along with everyone.

But there are always certain people who try to play it so "safe" that they only want to surround themselves with safe people too. Maybe they attend certain kinds of churches and feel "safe" around the people there. They may even be in artistic circles in certain religious communities. But their communities tend to reinforce their fears and beliefs. I feel sorry for these people. If you look at the people in their circles and gatherings it looks like everyone is really "uptight" or something. They might have certain good qualities, like in some ways they may be very respectful and old-fashioned. But then, as a result, it's like the women would always wear long dresses. Like Karen Carpenter. Not always, I'm exaggerating. But it's just kind of out of place in today's world.

But I worry about them never being happy because they are so scared to break out of that traditional shell. I also feel like they tend to be more superstitious and not very trusting. It's not as if they don't have the potential to blossom into something more beautiful. But they just would prefer to keep building or reinforcing their psychological walls. And it just makes them look ugly when they have the potential to be beautiful.

This is hard to describe. Can anyone relate to what I'm saying?
First, it is too dang hard to get along with everyone. We are tribal by nature. Life is too short to get involved with people, cultures, lifestyles which are in disagreement with my values and worldview.

Second, every tribe gets to believe what they will and as long as not harming others should be left alone. Of course we do not leave folks alone as the Waco commune found.

If I prefer church people of a particular denomination, that is my business. If I prefer atheists same thing.

Somewhere you had a negative experience with some group. Move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology