Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 07:36 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,852,714 times

Advertisements

Is anyone aware of a phenomenon where a person would reverse things in his memory?

In my case, I have a memory of a town I visited TWICE as a young child:

1. In reality, we drove into the town from the north and turned right (west) to get the house which faced east if you were sitting on the front porch.

2. In my memory, we drove into town from the north, which is correct. But when we got to the town we turned left (east) and you would have been facing west sitting on the porch.

Another example from my teens:

My family visited a city and I remember correctly where the hotel was created. But one day, we drove to a restaurant, and my memory of where that was located is in the exact reverse location from where the hotel was. Like a mirror image. I remembered it being northeast from the hotel, but in reality it was southwest. The strange thing is that it is in a very logical route that is really easy to see on a map.

If anyone knows anything about what would cause this, I would appreciate any information.

EDIT: I said the memory was like a mirror image, but that's not accurate. It was more like the places were turned around.

Last edited by OzzyRules; 07-18-2018 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 04:47 PM

I looked up the question online and found one possibility: DYSLEXIA. Or some form of it. Dyslexia of mental picture memories?

I've never experienced dyslexia before in the traditional sense. But it's as if it's happening in my mind for certain past events, random events that other people I know can't even remember.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:54 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Don't see why you want to give yourself a disorder for some occasional memory lapses. If you had such a disorder I would think it would be a lot more pervasive in your daily life than that. Honestly what you described sounds like....wait for it....a plain old ordinary memory. If an event was traumatic or extremely good, chances are better you'll retain more accurate details. When I think back to pivotal moments in my life I can recall many very specific things including physical orientation, colors, odors, sounds, movement, minute details about the surroundings decades later. Ordinary life events not so much. They weren't important then or now.

I also think your memory was created through the eyes of the person you were (maybe a young child), but that won't necessarily jibe with the older more experienced person who is recalling the same event. Consider memories of people or places you thought were huge because you saw them through a small child's eye. Now when you revisit those places or see those people you get surprised by how much smaller they seem.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:44 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times
I have an auntie who has this problem.. she gets an idea in her head and no matter what anyone says or disagrees in her mind shes right about the past... I think she forms ideas of what she would like the past or memories to be and sticks with it....its not only sad but dangerous to others and some might believe her.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:17 AM

I don't think of it as a "disorder". Like I said, some people even older than myself don't recall anything about these places. That would make their lack of memory a greater disorder in comparison, which is obviously not the case.

I'm just curious about the *psychological* reason that would turn things around in a person's mind. For example, in the teenage memory I would have had to turn around more than one mental memory that should have been so clear. Because that memory sort of stayed with me all the time for several years after that.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:00 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
What kid ever knows what is west or east or whatever when it comes to a building in a town?

Unless the kid is growing up in Manhattan, maybe.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:04 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
I have very specific memories from childhood that don't make any sense from a directions perspective.

I remember almost dying "upstairs" in my bedroom, coughing - there was a hallway to the left and my parents bedroom was on the left.

The house we lived in was single story and the bedroom layout was completely different.

I have another memory when I was very sick and hallucinating and my bedroom faced a certain way (again, the "wrong" way) . . .

I don't know what to make of these memories.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What kid ever knows what is west or east or whatever when it comes to a building in a town?

Unless the kid is growing up in Manhattan, maybe.
I remembered another example where our family went to an annual picnic in a park in a nearby town several years in a row. The last time was while I was in high school. In my memory the park was north of the highway. But in reality it was south.

To me it's just really bizarre. And the fact that it occurred several times to me should have reinforced in my mind the true location.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:03 PM

1,088 posts, read 577,573 times
This isn't quite the same thing, but it's related. There's a highway exit about 40 minutes north of where I live, which is near the border of two towns. I've been to that area numerous times over the years for various reasons.

Well, after many years it finally occurred to me that, because the exit ramp is a complete U-shape, everything in that neighborhood is on the complete opposite corner of the highway than I always visualized it. (In other words, my brain imagined the positioning of all of the landmarks as though the exit ramp was a straight line.)

Even having known this for a while, it still seems wrong to me when I go there!

Old 07-23-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
This isn't quite the same thing, but it's related. There's a highway exit about 40 minutes north of where I live, which is near the border of two towns. I've been to that area numerous times over the years for various reasons.

Well, after many years it finally occurred to me that, because the exit ramp is a complete U-shape, everything in that neighborhood is on the complete opposite corner of the highway than I always visualized it. (In other words, my brain imagined the positioning of all of the landmarks as though the exit ramp was a straight line.)

Even having known this for a while, it still seems wrong to me when I go there!
Yes, I think it is kind of similar. The weird thing about my last one though is that the small town doesn't have any kind of U ramp or cloverleaf ramps. Just a normal small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology