Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are the prime reasons causing your depression?
Romantic disappointment 15 26.79%
Substance abuse 2 3.57%
Ill health 15 26.79%
Financial worries 21 37.50%
Death(s) in family and/or friends 10 17.86%
Concerns about political events 11 19.64%
Concerns about the environment 6 10.71%
Religious issues 2 3.57%
Social isolation 15 26.79%
General sense of despair 22 39.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 04:52 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I did not take part in the poll because there is a confusion in the OP between sadness and depression. They are not the same thing. Sadness isn't even always a symptom of depression.

Depression is different from sadness, grief and bereavement. The death of a loved one, loss of a job or the ending of a relationship are difficult experiences for a person to endure. It is normal for feelings of sadness or grief to develop in response to such situations. Those experiencing loss often might describe themselves as being “depressed.”

But being sad is not the same as having depression. The grieving process is natural and unique to each individual and shares some of the same features of depression. Both grief and depression may involve intense sadness and withdrawal from usual activities. They are also different in important ways.

The last two paragraphs come from the American Psychiatric Association web site at

https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-...-is-depression

KUDOS Joe the photog!!

For trying to teaching people that sadness and anxiety are not the same as CLINICAL DEPRESSION.
Just when I think people get it, someone always pops up who has yet to actually
research the debilitating illness.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 07-26-2018 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 05:22 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,116 times
If you look at the OP, a distinction is drawn from being down, emotionally, and suffering debilitating depression:
Quote:
I've noticed about myself that while I may get tired after a day's work, even become tearful and depressed, I usually sleep well and wake up ready to conquer the world again. I don't suffer from debilitating depression.
But I can understand and completely relate to wanting the language to be accurate. I've had one (1) course in psychology, literally PSYCH101 30 years ago as an undergraduate. Since then I attended law school, and attorneys have a very refined, precise and specific sense of language. This is why so many marriages and relationships break up during that first year of law school. Most people do not use language very precisely, and don't even really need to, and find the attorney-in-training a little annoying.

Pertinent cartoon from the New Yorker, today:
What is the source of your depression?-36372399_2225813724110560_5170458768260988928_n.png

Old 07-26-2018, 05:33 PM

80 posts, read 50,150 times
I'm not "depressed," but just about all of the misery in my life has come from other people.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:22 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times
I chose romantic disappointment, social isolation, and general sense of despair. Also, I’m depressed that humans can’t be euthanized like animals when they’re old, terminally ill, paralyzed, disabled, etc. I would have more peace of mind about life if I knew that I would eventually get a nice, easy death when the time comes but nooooo, I have to be human and we’re expected to suffer through all sorts of ridiculous things because our lives are supposedly so precious.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:09 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I chose romantic disappointment, social isolation, and general sense of despair. Also, I’m depressed that humans can’t be euthanized like animals when they’re old, terminally ill, paralyzed, disabled, etc. I would have more peace of mind about life if I knew that I would eventually get a nice, easy death when the time comes but nooooo, I have to be human and we’re expected to suffer through all sorts of ridiculous things because our lives are supposedly so precious.
I think they can in some states and I know they can in Europe:
Quote:
• Canada, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Colombia, and Switzerland allow physicians to physically assist in the death of patients.[3]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_suicide

• California, Montana, Oregon, Vermont, Washington
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assi..._United_States
Looks like the requirements are frequently that the patient be terminally ill and have six months or less to live.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:39 PM

125 posts, read 64,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I did not take part in the poll because there is a confusion in the OP between sadness and depression. They are not the same thing. Sadness isn't even always a symptom of depression.
I agree. I also don't do public polls.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:12 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
....so you're only considering situational depression?

My depression "comes from" my family - as in genetics. Both sides of my family have had multiple suicides...history of major depression and bipolar. So even though I'd say I've never regarded my life as happy - only rarely above a "5" out of 10 and typically lower than that I'd guess others would say my life was just fine. But my outlook has always been negative, independent of what's actually going on. Only in my 30's did I figure out that I just might need to see a psychiatrist like many of my other family members!

Day to day stuff I consider minor...work stress because I rarely feel like I'm doing a good job and usually blame myself. That and the horrible political news every day.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:56 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,125,460 times
This house/area/state. I had a good life in N Scottsdale, fell in love with the great NW. Now, the scenery is amazing, but the area I chose is horrible. Filthy yards piled with junk, area drugs, punks. Really wish I’d never set eyes on this place.

The other night, spouse woke me up yelling. Getting up to let the dogs out,he’d whacked his shin in the dark and fallen. He was yelling “I hate this @#$&* house and I hate this *=$#@% area. Well, that makes me feel even worse and it’s my fault since I chose this place. How can someone get something so wrong? I don’t trust my judgement anymore. This was my idea.

Anyway, as awful as this heat wave is, I still have to keep on working on the house, so a for sale sign can go up next year. In the meantime, yes, pretty miserable. This is certainly fixable in the long run, but getting there. Seems like it’s going to take forever.

Last edited by Taz22; 07-26-2018 at 10:06 PM..

Old 07-26-2018, 10:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
It is very rare in my life that I've experienced depression (anxiety is more my personal manifestation of stresses), but the one bout of depression that I did suffer was rooted in professional issues...unhappiness with multiple facets of a work situation that couldn't be addressed sufficiently via any of the avenues available to me.

So, long story short, work issues.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:11 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,380,234 times
To help alleviate lifelong bouts of depression and mania, I underwent 14 sessions of ECT (shock treatments) three years ago. It didn't help me. Depression is clinically different from sadness. But sadness hurts bad and I don't want to devalue it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology