Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 10:35 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I think a lot of women look even better *with* tattoos. Depends on the woman and the tattoos in question, and it's entirely a matter of taste of course. But it's hard to imagine how up-tight a guy would have to be to dismiss tattooed ladies as 'trashy'.

But tattoos are like piercings, pink hair, dressing up as a goth/bohemian/whatever. When people choose a 'look' like that, it's going to affect how people interact with them. Not saying that's good or bad... just saying that it's cause and effect.

Personally I don't think I'll ever get a tattoo. Nothing against it... but I'm too damn fickle for something that permanent. I think about some of the garbage I said and believed 20 years ago... I'd be genuinely ashamed if I carried a tattoo of it. And 20 years from now... who knows what I'll want or believe?

Well... except machines. I'll always be obsessed with machines of any sort. It's the one constant in my life.
What kind of machines, if you don't mind me asking? Just curious because certain kinds of machines intrigue me. In terms of art aesthetics, I love steampunk and biomechanical styles, which obviously are machine-inspired.

Anyhow. I made up a rule, which I suggested to my sons. If you think you want a tattoo, get the art drawn up, printed out, whatever. Have it on paper. Write at the bottom, where on your body you want it, and the date. Hang it somewhere conspicuous where you will see it every day. If, after one year has passed from the date on the drawing, you still want the same thing, in the same place, then go for it.

If you can't commit for a year, you can't commit for life. I figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 10:57 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
As an engineer and technology enthusiast I too wondered what kind of machines.

I think my route with the temporary jagua tattoo is also an excellent means of test driving a tattoo. Jagua mimics the black with a slight blue tinge seen in many tattoos, except there is no possibility of color with jagua. (Henna just does not look real, although comes in colors due to dyes. Henna is a different type of temporary body art that is not intended to mimic tattoos.)

I doubt I will ever go permanent, but jagua is a practical alternative to experience having body art without making a permanent choice. All that is necessary is to re-ink every 10 days to 2 weeks. I'm going to do this until I get tired of it or lose my interest.

I suggest do what Sonic said, and after a year get a jagua body art and live with it for a year. If you still want a tattoo after 2 years of deliberation, you may be ready for it.

Has anybody else wondered if tattoos are more prevalent these days than in the past? I'm noticing them much more often these days. Note I live in an affluent area so I'm not seeing poor people as my examples. I really believe tattoos are trending.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:28 AM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I've never heard the term "wearing" tattoos, but whatever. I've also never heard of or seen anyone "complain" about people looking at them.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:28 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
In terms of attraction, I only like feminine females, and tattoos are not feminine.
So as soon as I see the female has a tattoo I don't count them as a female.
Its impossible to be attracted to a tattooed female.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:03 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
What kind of machines, if you don't mind me asking? Just curious because certain kinds of machines intrigue me. In terms of art aesthetics, I love steampunk and biomechanical styles, which obviously are machine-inspired.

Anyhow. I made up a rule, which I suggested to my sons. If you think you want a tattoo, get the art drawn up, printed out, whatever. Have it on paper. Write at the bottom, where on your body you want it, and the date. Hang it somewhere conspicuous where you will see it every day. If, after one year has passed from the date on the drawing, you still want the same thing, in the same place, then go for it.

If you can't commit for a year, you can't commit for life. I figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
As an engineer and technology enthusiast I too wondered what kind of machines.

I think my route with the temporary jagua tattoo is also an excellent means of test driving a tattoo. Jagua mimics the black with a slight blue tinge seen in many tattoos, except there is no possibility of color with jagua. (Henna just does not look real, although comes in colors due to dyes. Henna is a different type of temporary body art that is not intended to mimic tattoos.)

I doubt I will ever go permanent, but jagua is a practical alternative to experience having body art without making a permanent choice. All that is necessary is to re-ink every 10 days to 2 weeks. I'm going to do this until I get tired of it or lose my interest.

I suggest do what Sonic said, and after a year get a jagua body art and live with it for a year. If you still want a tattoo after 2 years of deliberation, you may be ready for it.

Has anybody else wondered if tattoos are more prevalent these days than in the past? I'm noticing them much more often these days. Note I live in an affluent area so I'm not seeing poor people as my examples. I really believe tattoos are trending.
I spent my first career as a heavy equipment mechanic. Worked on a ton of diesel engines, truck, tractors, construction equipment, oil field equipment etc. And then I went back to school... so I'm in my second career which is mechanical engineering. Did a lot of CAD modeling and drafting along with some structural analysis for a few years. Past couple of years I've been doing troubleshooting and product support on electrical and hydraulic systems.

But I love machines of all kinds and will fix most anything. Appliances, air conditioning, computers, cars, farm machiney, motorcycles, lawnmowers, guns, power tools... most anything that has mechanical parts and/or wires

If I were to get a tattoo, some kind of machine would be good subject matter. But I dunno what machine. I don't really play favorites... I love them all

Old 08-03-2018, 03:17 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
I notice but don't comment. Some of the people I've known with layers of tattoos and/or a face full of metal are somewhat strange and I don't care to deal with them any more than I have to.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:06 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,949 times
The author of that article also wrote one about how sad she felt when Craigslist dropped the Casual Encounters option, since she had met many ‘partners’ using that method.

False outrage indeed.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:09 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
The author of that article also wrote one about how sad she felt when Craigslist dropped the Casual Encounters option, since she had met many ‘partners’ using that method.

False outrage indeed.
What does one thing have to do with the other? They arent related at all.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:11 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What does one thing have to do with the other? They arent related at all.
Head in the sand time.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:05 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
I had an interesting experience yesterday. You'll recall I'm the one with a temporary new age jagua body art on my left wrist, a tattoo look-alike.

It was time to hit the supermarket for necessary ingredients for dinner. I was dressed in t-shirt, sweat pants, athletic shoes, and I felt uncomfortable with my image as a tatted slob. I redressed in a good t-shirt, blue jeans, and a nice pair of cowboy boots, topped it off with a color coordinated baseball cap. (Too lazy to comb my hair.) I looked much sharper once I changed my clothes.

My point is that with the body art I feel more uncomfortable going out and dressed as a slob because the tat makes me look even more of a slob. I had to do something to improve my image before I was comfortable that my body art didn't make me look like a slob. But in the sweats and dirty t-shirt it would have.

The fact that the body art interacts with my choice of clothing shows that it has social significance. There are consequences of having body art, and you had better be able to live with them if your body art is permanent. You are making one choice for the rest of your life, notwithstanding laser removal.

Speaking of laser removal, we've all heard it's expensive, but what I wonder is if a laser can truly remove all the ink or do you end up with a smudged blemish where the tat used to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology