Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 07:47 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times

Advertisements

Someone on this forum mentioned not feeling atteactive. Men and women: how much is your self-confidence, mood, personal happiness affected by your perception of your physical appearance.

One thing I've noticed, a lot of people are very beautiful and are not even aware of it. Also, a sort of plastic good looks can be wearing if the personality underneath is mean, manipulative or egoistic.

The Atlas of Beauty
https://youtu.be/mTxsk1fZvTw

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Nice coffee table book.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 08-05-2018 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 11:33 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
I don't believe that good-looking people aren't aware of it. I think they are acutely aware of it since doors open much easier for them all through life. They may just be humble. In my "better days", it certainly helped me. So now I feel I am missing something without being sure how to replace it. So I guess it was sort of important to my self-esteem.

Doing well at my job added a lot to confidence too, but when that ended, so did that "feeling"....

Old 08-05-2018, 11:37 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
If you're good looking, you're well aware of it. You'll get plenty of compliments over the years. Ask me how I know!

Old 08-05-2018, 12:04 PM

710 posts, read 584,070 times
Very negatively. I’ve had low self-esteem since childhood because of the fact that many people wouldn’t hesitate to tell me how ugly they thought I was.

I always think about what it must be like to be an attractive person. To know that you’re desired by other people, to know that people automatically assume positive things about you, to know that you’re probably going to have an easier time in life than everyone else.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:24 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If you're good looking, you're well aware of it. You'll get plenty of compliments over the years. Ask me how I know!
I've known a lot of really nice looking people who don't think they're nice looking at all and have low self-esteem. Low self-esteem can affect how you see yourself, so it's silly for us to sit around and wonder if attractive people know they're attractive and what not. Just like depression does not discriminate against anyone, neither does self-esteem. Marylin Monroe, Sandra Bullock and Justim Timberlake are a few celebrities with low self-esteem.

Besides, looks can be subjective. As some have said, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beer holder!"

And I would imagine some folks with low self-esteem have low self-esteem for reasons not related to how they think they look. Some folks have low self-esteem because they think they suck in their careers or are bad parents. To say it is mainly due to perceptions of attractiveness isn't really fair to all the people with it.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:30 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
I always think about what it must be like to be an attractive person. To know that you’re desired by other people, to know that people automatically assume positive things about you, to know that you’re probably going to have an easier time in life than everyone else.
I imagine for some people it is a negative to think they have to live up to what others may think about them.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:31 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I never thought about going thru life with the burden of being untouchable, so beautiful.

I once did not want to give my phone # to a sweet guy since I didn't like his looks, but thank goodness I did, we had a couple yrs of love and fun and I almost missed that for the looks issue. His personality was so great and SOH, I was always laughing.

For my big jump in self esteem, being in outside sales and going thru rejections was a huge plus in my life...the loss of sales and sales balanced out. And I left that job so much stronger.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:44 PM

24 posts, read 10,207 times
I don't mind being ugly. I was never into pageantry of sorts.

However, it's hurtful for me to be called a mean, manipulative, egotistical person.

My closest relations would gladly make this labels to me when all I want is their help in a legal case that involves them.

I didn't even want them to take sides, I just want them to be a witness of what happened, to say, that something does exist.

Many people can be their good, sweet self when everything is fine and dandy, a nice chat, good conversations.

I think it is natural for people to suddenly behave uncouthly when under extremenly high stress situation. You lose your cool, it wears off as 2 years have passed, and all you hear is that the end of the day is coming ..

Old 08-05-2018, 12:47 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I don't believe that good-looking people aren't aware of it. I think they are acutely aware of it since doors open much easier for them all through life. They may just be humble. In my "better days", it certainly helped me. So now I feel I am missing something without being sure how to replace it. So I guess it was sort of important to my self-esteem.

Doing well at my job added a lot to confidence too, but when that ended, so did that "feeling"....
I completely agree. Anyone who is beautiful and is unaware of it maybe has body dismorphic disorder or something.

Everyone else knows.

That's why that "She don't know she's beautiful" country song rankles me. Like, how stupid can she be?

Old 08-05-2018, 01:05 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Someone on this forum mentioned not feeling atteactive. Men and women: how much is your self-confidence, mood, personal happiness affected by your perception of your physical appearance.

One thing I've noticed, a lot of people are very beautiful and are not even aware of it. Also, a sort of plastic good looks can be wearing if the personality underneath is mean, manipulative or egoistic.
My self confidence is definitely affected by how I look. On those days when you’re rushed and throw on anything and pin your hair up to get to work on time, is invariably the day the boss calls the office in for an impromptu meeting. Of course, there are women who picked that day to wear a nice outfit. It’s distracting to say the least.

I’m going to a fall reunion and am losing a few pounds and getting some highlights. Looking good is always a great confidence booster, and I’ve never known an exceptional looking man or woman who wasn’t aware of how they looked. I agree, being mean or manipulative dosen’t look good on pretty people, since there is an expectation that the person must be pretty inside to match the outside. Back in the day, I turned down some dates with handsome guys. These guys were well aware of how they looked and I didn’t feel like trying to fend off the waitress, coworkers and any other female who wanted to move in. Also, what woman wants her man winking at them on the sly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology