Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:30 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
They should. Their people have been there for thousands years. I remember watching a video of some town hall meeting where the (mostly white) transplants wanted to reroute the lava flowing from the volcano. The heck?! How arrogant do you have to be to think you're going to control a VOLCANO? I can't remember the name the locals had for the earth, but one of the natives said, "If she wants to clean her house, we get out the way and let her." It was so poweful...I started to cry. The "visitors" have no respect for the land, and the natives understand we are one living organism. There is balance.

Anywho...that's one perspective. For natives, a place is home. For others...they're just passing through.
thousands of people have been evacuated and hundreds of homes lost to the fissure eight flow. A few years ago, one guy saved his home by building a berm that kept the lava away from his house. It makes sense to consider whether that would work on a larger scale.

And a lot of Hawaiians have mixed blood; you may see them as white, but they identify as native Hawaiians. You can't tell who's who by watching a video, and they don't all subscribe to the beliefs of a vocal minority.

BTW, There are wealthy and powerful Hawaiians, but they don't need bumper sticker slogans to make them feel good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 10:37 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
You can't tell who's who by watching a video
I'm pretty confident in my ability to identify an indigenous person from a European. Kay.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:10 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I'm pretty confident in my ability to identify an indigenous person from a European. Kay.
Did you see the movie Descendants, with George Clooney playing a man with native blood? That's what it's like. And most of the people who look Hawaiian turn out to be Filipino or Tongan or something.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:19 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Anyone from Texas, including me.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:47 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
In Hawaii, the saying is, "born here, not flown here." Bugs me more for the stumbling rhyme than for the implication that they are better than those born elsewhere.

How long you've lived there is insanely important to many Hawaii residents.

One friend always talked as if she had lived there for decades; I was surprised to learn she had moved there only a dozen years before. When I commented that we moved there the same year, she asked, "what month?"

Maybe she was more like an acquaintance...

If I paddled my kayak to Hawaii, would I be accepted by the native-born?

Old 08-06-2018, 03:58 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
I’ve heard that some Hawaiians are like that, but one of my good friends lives in Hawaii and was born there, he said those people are idiots. Nobody takes them seriously and they’re an annoying vocal minority who are mostly ignored by everyone else.

I’m not proud of where I’m from (or to be living here at present) and when I leave, hopefully next year, I’ll be stoked and hopefully won’t have to mention it again. Zero pride for this place, better to forget about it!

Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I've lived in places where a large % of the residents are transplants all of my life. In some of these places, like Los Angeles, people who were born in the same place don't really openly broadcast that they are a "Native Los Angelean" or such even though there are quite a few of them out there. On the other hand, in a smaller place like Midland, Texas where a large # of residents are also transplants, the natives are VERY local that they are "Born and Raised in Midland".

Are there any characteristics that make a place more prone to being prideful of being "Born and Raised in <insert place>?"
I lived half my life in Texas, born and raised, and half my life in Manhattan. after 25 plus years of living in both places, Native born citizens are fiercely proud, but for different reasons.

A Native New Yorker is proud of his toughness, his family's toughness, the ability to survive and thrive in a kill or be killed city (not literally!). Native New Yorkers are very proud, whether born in the Bronx or on the upper east side. It is an amazing city: uncouth, cultured, educated, uneducated, poor, rich, difficult, extremely difficult. Living in NYC is not for the faint of heart. "New York: if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere" is really true!

Native Texans, on the other hand, are proud of the culture of Texas values. Politeness, independence, individuality, respect for country, respect for women, manners, etc. When someone tells you, "I am a Native Texan", she is telling you her values, ragnarkar, in that one phrase.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-06-2018 at 07:46 AM..

Old 08-06-2018, 06:48 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I lived half my life in Texas, born and raised, and half my life in Manhattan. after 25 plus years of living in both places, Native born citizens are fiercely proud, but for different reasons.

Native New Yorkers are very proud, whether born in the Bronx or the upper east side. It is an amazing city: uncouth, cultured, educated, uneducated, poor, rich, difficult, more difficult. Native New Yorkers are proud of their toughness, their family's, toughness, their ability to survive and thrive in a kill or be killed city (not literally!). "New York: if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere" is really true!

Native Texans, on the other hand, are proud of the culture of Texas values. Politeness, independence, individuality, respect for country, respect for women, manners, etc. When someone tells you they are a Native Texan, they are telling you their values, ragnarkar, in that one phrase.
This is a lot more common and not just limited to Texans. What I'm saying is there is a lot of local pride about being born in a particular city or even a particular neighborhood of a city. I see that mindset is prevalent in smaller places in Texas like Midland but not in the bigger cities like Dallas or Austin, although a lot of people in the latter cities are still proud Texans.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:51 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
TEXAS.
It's just engrained into our
Dna. From our first to our last breath we are proud and boastful of our state and values.
We take Texas with us even when we move to other places.
You have to be born here to understand and appreciate it. Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:08 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
TEXAS.
It's just engrained into our
Dna. From our first to our last breath we are proud and boastful of our state and values.
We take Texas with us even when we move to other places.
You have to be born here to understand and appreciate it. Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense.
What about local pride (being born and raised in city X of Texas)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology