Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:15 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times

Advertisements

I've lived in places where a large % of the residents are transplants all of my life. In some of these places, like Los Angeles, people who were born in the same place don't really openly broadcast that they are a "Native Los Angelean" or such even though there are quite a few of them out there. On the other hand, in a smaller place like Midland, Texas where a large # of residents are also transplants, the natives are VERY local that they are "Born and Raised in Midland".

Are there any characteristics that make a place more prone to being prideful of being "Born and Raised in <insert place>?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 11:11 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I've lived in places where a large % of the residents are transplants all of my life. In some of these places, like Los Angeles, people who were born in the same place don't really openly broadcast that they are a "Native Los Angelean" or such even though there are quite a few of them out there. On the other hand, in a smaller place like Midland, Texas where a large # of residents are also transplants, the natives are VERY local that they are "Born and Raised in Midland".

Are there any characteristics that make a place more prone to being prideful of being "Born and Raised in <insert place>?"
I'm just glad I was born and coming from a very small birthplace town to a major southern california for the end of my life, says enough. Glad I had both and just glad I was born.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:27 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Well, it seems Texans have that kind of pride. I'm very glad to have been born and raised in SoCal and feel it has made me a more accepting, well-rounded, open-minded type of person. But I don't volunteer it unless asked. It also makes one more able to identify with much of popular culture.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:31 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,464,397 times
'Murica.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:34 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
New York City because it's always been a great city. Most native New Yorkers have pride in their home town, even if they move or retire elsewhere.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:11 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Well, it seems Texans have that kind of pride. I'm very glad to have been born and raised in SoCal and feel it has made me a more accepting, well-rounded, open-minded type of person. But I don't volunteer it unless asked. It also makes one more able to identify with much of popular culture.
Even then, people aren't that way in Dallas or Austin, or collectively at least about as prideful of being born and raised local as locals in Los Angeles.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I agree and not being born here but being here for over 50 yrs, has made me a very open minded person..love diversity. Many parts of the country are not so accepting. I heard years ago from my early times here: California is a state of mind. My sister was pretty open minded and she lived in the East all her life and we use to get into this conversation on acceptance.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:12 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post

Less-educated people move around less than well-educated people do, so people who are "Born and Raised" in a place and still live there are likely less-educated. So less-educated areas would be more prone for that.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Less-educated people move around less than well-educated people do, so people who are "Born and Raised" in a place and still live there are likely less-educated. So less-educated areas would be more prone for that.
There is probably something to that...so many are less willing to take risks and say move across the country or to another country. There is comfort is sitting still for many. I was not happy to be leaving my roots back in the 60's but I'd never go back, glad the ex took the leap as hard as it was back then.

Along these same lines, my mother would nag my dad for years to move to a senior living apt as their house was just too much for them to keep up, but he would never budge. So set in ways.

I moved a few times living in CA but came back to my original place we came to in the 60's..even moved to No Cal for about 5 yrs but returned down here.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:29 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,382,548 times
In Hawaii, the saying is, "born here, not flown here." Bugs me more for the stumbling rhyme than for the implication that they are better than those born elsewhere.

How long you've lived there is insanely important to many Hawaii residents.

One friend always talked as if she had lived there for decades; I was surprised to learn she had moved there only a dozen years before. When I commented that we moved there the same year, she asked, "what month?"

Maybe she was more like an acquaintance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology