Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 12:08 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

I don't remember this happening before retirement, but my husband now often has very violent dreams where he thrashes around, kicks me, grabs me and pretty much terrifies me. Yet he is the gentlest, kindest, non-confrontational "beta" male around. He has never even spoken a harsh word to me. He feels awful about it, too.

It might be understandable if he had been in the military (NOT) or had a violent job (NOT) or even played violent video games (NOT) or been in lots of fights (NONE). He's a non-aggressive pacifist.

We watch the usual Netflix with its usual gore but if it gets too gratuitous, we switch to something else.

He says "monsters are chasing him" and he's fighting back. He says he has these same dreams as a child and had to be comforted by his dad. I mean, c'mon, isn't age 63 a bit old to be "chased by monsters"? And why isn't the usual "sleep paralysis" working?

We don't have psychiatrists or sleep clinics here, so I'm just looking for anecdotal stories from others, if anyone's experienced it. What did you do? Separate bedrooms? Did they get over it?

I had to send him to the couch last night after he kicked and grabbed me. I should be more sympathetic, maybe, but I'm just pi$$ed off. Any armchair psychologists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 01:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I don't remember this happening before retirement, but my husband now often has very violent dreams where he thrashes around, kicks me, grabs me and pretty much terrifies me. Yet he is the gentlest, kindest, non-confrontational "beta" male around. He has never even spoken a harsh word to me. He feels awful about it, too.

It might be understandable if he had been in the military (NOT) or had a violent job (NOT) or even played violent video games (NOT) or been in lots of fights (NONE). He's a non-aggressive pacifist.

We watch the usual Netflix with its usual gore but if it gets too gratuitous, we switch to something else.

He says "monsters are chasing him" and he's fighting back. He says he has these same dreams as a child and had to be comforted by his dad. I mean, c'mon, isn't age 63 a bit old to be "chased by monsters"? And why isn't the usual "sleep paralysis" working?

We don't have psychiatrists or sleep clinics here, so I'm just looking for anecdotal stories from others, if anyone's experienced it. What did you do? Separate bedrooms? Did they get over it?

I had to send him to the couch last night after he kicked and grabbed me. I should be more sympathetic, maybe, but I'm just pi$$ed off. Any armchair psychologists?
My dad was a navigator and bombardier on the B-26 Marauders during World War II. He returned to the states in 1945 and married my mother, and probably was suffering from what we now call post-traumatic shock. Lots of dreams about jumping out of burning airplanes. But your husband doesn't have those past experiences.

Not to suggest I'm really certain this is legit, but maybe you could try past life regression? I had a friend from Lyon, France who dreamed of running across rooftops in Paris during a fire. If your husband had these dreams as a child, a session or two with past life regression might turn up something helpful.

If I understand correctly, some human fears go back a very long way. Fear of falling may have originally been fear of an enfant falling from a nest or mother's arms, in a tree. In our primate, very early history. Monsters were real back then. It did not pay to wander too far from the fire, late at night.

I like this theory better than past life regression.

Recent studies indicate that we genetically retain the activities and emotions of our ancestors.
??

So a women born of a man who had survived traumatic experiences, may retain some of those emotions.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 08-05-2018 at 01:49 PM..

Old 08-05-2018, 01:56 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Does he take any sleep aids? I have a sleep combo and many nights I have some "tough" dreams but no thrashing etc. Some say they can't take some sleep aids due to their dreams etc but for me my sleep is good so I deal with the dreams. Could be something he's eaten close to sleep time.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:28 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Make him sleep on the couch.

I'd sleep on the couch before I hit my wife.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:17 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Sounds like a stress dream
“Recurrent dream themes often start at a young age, but can begin at any time, and persist for the rest of one's life.â€
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...curring-dreams

I used to have a stress dream and it always involved an emergency and me trying to call someone and somehow or someway something would sabotage the call happening. I had this dream for years until one night I got through and haven’t had the dream since.

My husband still gets the occasional stress dream and it usually signals something is going on during waking hours that is causing concern, or bothering him or underlying health issue.out.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:20 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
When I have bad dreams I notice the back of my head is very hot. My husband tells me that it is because I was sleeping on my back.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:11 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
I just finished writing a script that focused on dreams, specifically researching things having to do with sleep paralysis. There’s a condition that happens to some people where their body doesn’t turn on sleep paralysis and people have acted out dreams, even driven places and killed people all while sleeping. It’s fairly rare for it to be that extreme but much more common where there’s kicking and thrashing. You shouldn’t be sleeping in the same bedroom if that’s happening, he could hurt you without even knowing it. I personally think sleeping in the same bed or bedroom as someone else is overrated (my GF and I prefer our own rooms) anyway, for exactly reasons like this. Sleep is alone time for peaceful and quiet recovery, not to be hit or thrashed

Old 08-06-2018, 09:16 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
If you have a King or Queen size bed, buy some body length pillows and put them between the two of you.

Might also want to look into getting a prescription for some sleep meds or muscle relaxers.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:19 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
He needs to go in for a sleep study.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:04 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I'd advise a therapist. Something is causing him stress or anxiety. For myself, I was having severe jaw pain and it turned out to be because I was grinding my teeth at night. I got fitted for a mouthguard which my dog promptly chomped to pieces. But it didn't matter because after understanding that stress was causing me to grind my teeth, I set about addressing the issues and making peace with them if not solving them entirely. That mouthguard lasted a week, and in that time I had largely corrected the problem just by knowing about it and taking steps in my emotional life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology