Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 05:34 PM

11 posts, read 6,986 times

Advertisements

I'd like to explore this topic of parents making their kids dumb or preventing their kids from leaving the house and standing on their own feet.

My story is that I was successful standing on my own two feet on my own for two years. I had my job, roommates, relationshios and connections. I went home from thanksgiving and it was my fault because I was broke and didn't have money so they flew me a one way ticket.

I had a job and a house rental and they didn't want to fly my back then my payments were late and I was evicted and I was stuck at my parents house.

There's two factions to my divorced biological mother and father family, one side with my mother being super religious Catholics and the other side with my father being a little lenient but still every Sunday worship goer. They live in different households btw.

Later on, my biological father told me that the reason they (finally admitting) planned to set me up to fail my drivers exam by not allowing me to practice on the road and they expecting me to fail my drivers test was my because my mother's side thought that I was a moron. So my father is fighting (according to him) for my rights go live my life without the belief I'm a moron. But even my father would still to this day treat me as a moron.

So questions that are in my head are. Why are my parents believing I'm a moron? Didn't I make my own businesses though failed, worked my own trade and craft in the media arts to pay my own bills?

Why don't they want me to drive? I already passed and have my license but they didnt even think I'll come close.

Why dont they want me to leave the house? My father said that They think that I'm gonna fail outside and have to return home again so he said that to just stay home rather than having to pay the expenses of getting me back on my feet.

It doesnt make sense that they would want a 20s young adult living at home. We are not even rich either. My mom side on food stamps but they have over 6 kids.

They had also broken my connections in college and my work place. literally adding them on facebook and saying to watch over me and how I'm disabled etc...

They are toxic on one hand but their actions just doesn't make sense. I'm trying to fill in the blanks of why my parents are acting this way and why do i give them so much power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 06:00 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zparbliss View Post
I'd like to explore this topic of parents making their kids dumb or preventing their kids from leaving the house and standing on their own feet.

My story is that I was successful standing on my own two feet on my own for two years. I had my job, roommates, relationshios and connections. I went home from thanksgiving and it was my fault because I was broke and didn't have money so they flew me a one way ticket.

I had a job and a house rental and they didn't want to fly my back then my payments were late and I was evicted and I was stuck at my parents house.

So questions that are in my head are. Why are my parents believing I'm a moron? Didn't I make my own businesses though failed, worked my own trade and craft in the media arts to pay my own bills?

They had also broken my connections in college and my work place. literally adding them on facebook and saying to watch over me and how I'm disabled etc...

I'm trying to fill in the blanks of why my parents are acting this way and why do i give them so much power.
Your statement is questionable. You said you were successful standing on your feet and taking care of yourself, then you said you were broken and they had to send you one way ticket to get you back home.
So, how a "successful" person could be broken with no money? How did you plan to pay for your rent and other expenses? You had no money to pay for it, and you were evicted. That's not your parents fault.
I think you didn't realize that in fact you didn't make it at all.
Your parents are just trying to help you taking you back home.

On your other thread you said:
Quote:
I spent 4 years away from home, got fired, evicted and had nowhere else to go. Became homeless.
... So I also got fired from like 5 out of 6 my jobs and I've only didn't get fired from one because I moved to another job before they could fire me. I have some sort of energy problems and I fatigue easily.
I did fail college my senior year with one semester left. My professors didn't quite believe in my intellectual capabilities. I was studying computer science and I asked my tescher and advisor kf I could get a job. He then said that i didnt have the mental capability to do so.
All that is contradicting your statement of being successful and taking care of yourself.

However - you didn't had to accept the ONE WAY ticket and you could say no to the offer to stay home.

You can't leave their house? No, you can't because you don't have any money on you own.
Get a job. Save. Then leave. Untill then you are at their mercy. Be grateful that you have place to sleep and food to eat.

Last edited by elnina; 08-12-2018 at 06:36 PM..

Old 08-12-2018, 06:34 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Your statement is questionable. You said you were successful standing on your feet and taking care of yourself, then you said you were broken and they had to send you one way ticket to get you back home.
So, how a "successful" person could be broken with no money? How did you plan to pay for your rent and other expenses? You had no money to pay for it, and you were evicted. That's not your parents fault.
I think you didn't realize that in fact you didn't make it at all. Your parents just tried to help you.

However - you didn't had to accept the ONE WAY ticket and you could say no to the offer to stay home.

You can't leave their house? No, you can't because you don't have any money on you own.
Get a job. Save. Then leave. Untill then you are at their mercy. Be grateful...

This^

Maybe your parents are seeing something youre not acknowledging. It seems to me, youre coming up with excuses not to leave the comforts of your parents home. Show them that you're capable of more and maybe they would stop acting like they're still raising an adolescent boy?

Old 08-13-2018, 05:25 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Do what would you do if you didn’t have parents?

...because some day you won’t.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:55 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
It's your parents' fault that you elected to fly to them one way with no means of getting back?

You already weren't standing on your own two feet. They didn't dumb you down or prevent anything, that was on you.

Be self supporting and responsible and that's when they'll start treating you like a self supporting, responsible person.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:30 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
OP, what medical diagnos(es) have you been given?

Old 08-14-2018, 04:34 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Wow, I didn't even see the "disabled" part.

DO you have disabilities, OP? If so, might they not be protecting you? They spoke to your employers? If they are not your legal guardians they can't do that. Are they your legal guardians?

Your thread title seems to be asking the question in a general way but obviously your situation is not typical. Most parents do not behave this way. There are pieces missing to this story.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:40 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zparbliss View Post

They trapped you. You got away from them before. Do it again and this time stay away.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:26 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
They trapped you. You got away from them before. Do it again and this time stay away.
They didn’t trap OP they saved OP who was homeless after being fired from several jobs and evicted from his apartment, info that apparently can dripping out later. I think OP has some sort of disability but I don’t know that he’s been more specific than that.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:45 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
This looks like a case of his parents acquiring legal guardianship of an adult with mental disabilities.

Take it up with your lawyer, OP. If you think you can take care of yourself, make your own case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology