Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 02:43 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,713,034 times

Advertisements

Do you ever have desire to be someone different for short bit? Experiment with your life. OK I guess we all did that when we are in our 20s. I am in my 30s now and I guess the feeling didn't go away or intensified over the years. I am happy with life, I like who I am. But sometimes, I want to be different for short burst of time. Someone outgoing, always on the go/parties it up, become insta-famous, put myself out there, wear face full of make up all the time and dress to the T (not in a good way but in over the top way), become super athletic (run and bike for miles), become a foodie and cook up a storm. Maybe I been watching too much of social media & want to be like those people for short instance but not really take their life because I know, no one has it perfect

I was a very shy kid who had sheltered life and spent most of my teen years being 2nd parents to my younger siblings. College was uneventful. It was only after college, I started embracing life. Pushed my comfort zone and stepped out. Almost became an extrovert for few years before reverting back to my older introverted self.

For those who sometimes feel like you want to be slightly different, what have you done? Did you take on a different personality and see if it will stick (if you like that version of you) or did the experiment fail like me becoming extrovert did. Although it did help because I am much more balanced now because of that experimental phase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 10:20 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
I've been introverted and shy most of my life, but I fixed that (counseling + self improvement). I spent most of my life as "ordinary." I'm tired of that. I too want to explore being different.

Recently I have spent a lot of time dancing in front of my big screen and YouTube, I want to dance! My problem now is I don't know any women who want to go dancing with me. I love music, I'm very into working out at my gym, and I want to get out on the dance floor!

My main means to address this is that I'm changing my online dating profile a bit, and hope to attract some women who want to go dancing too.

I did invent my own self-exercises to move from introversion to normal but outgoing. Perhaps in a later post I'll describe how I did that. But know this: it worked. I am now always socially at ease in public, I am as outgoing as you could be without being labeled an extrovert.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:40 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,639,095 times
Eh, not really, sometimes. My GF says I have a rebellious personality and I agree with that. I’ve always been that way since I was a kid even, as young as I can remember, born to challenge authority and question everything no matter what it is. That’s probably why I majored in philosophy.

With my personality there are times that I get overworked and just want to do nothing but watch movies, play video games, and live the fun life. And even worse I can do that every day haha so it’s not necessarily a passing impulse. But I’ve learned when I feel that way, like I just want to have fun and not do anything, all it means is I’m overworked at the moment and I don’t mind embracing that impulse for a week and getting some down time. But ultimately I can’t change who I am and that inner voice is too ambitious and driven to be silenced or placated by temporary fun. So it’s like a pendulum that swings back and forth, and I’ve learned to be more ok with that. It has bothered me in the past though, like I wish I could just be singularly driven like a robot toward my bigger goals. But ultimately I know that’s probably not healthy so now I forgive myself for my periods of just having some fun. It all balances out in the end.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:30 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,713,034 times
Interesting, maybe when we want to be someone different for short bit, its really us being overwhelmed by who we are & just want to take a break from our norm. But instead of vacation, where the location changes but your personality stays more or less same.. it wants a personality break. For me that's becoming an extrovert for short bit before reverting back to introvert.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:36 AM

988 posts, read 683,249 times
I'm happy with who I am. I have issues, but a clear handle on internal versus external cause and effect. Some stuff is external and society-based, unless we're going to take the position that Anne Frank's family could have solved their isolation issues through therapy. I'm extroverted, forced into introversion through relentless persecution, and wise from a wide variety of experience. Not perfect, but not looking to change. No regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology