Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 11:56 AM

24 posts, read 10,129 times

Advertisements

I think that Filipina women are deemed inferior in the American society.

I do secretly think about that.

My aunt is an accountant, but I don't think her husband respects her intelligence despite the fact that she is frugal, probably has more savings than him, able to actually live independently. When I visited their home, many times I sense a lot of puts down. I felt that her husband disrespects her for the way she speaks, and for the things she doesn't know. In return, I think she withholds sex.

This is a very controversial opinion - the type of thoughts that I try to hide from the world.

But when finally revealed to the world, it will sound very offensive to the point that I will be ostracized by my family, community, the general public who doesn't want to hear such opinion.

If we have an artificial intelligence application that livestreams these kinds of thought - it will be a cause of someone being incriminated.

Under normal circumstance will I have any intention to reveal some of my observations, and I don't think they are accurate, and in fact, I try to sweep that under the rug. Any opinions of mine like that I try to keep ignoring until I gain enough experience in life.

It is possible that I am perceiving things as a projection, it isn't the truth. My perceptions evolve.

My uncle once told me that I shouldn't record in my mind any observations I have. One ear, goes out to the other ear. See nothing, hear nothing.

I'd think that's not possible, the more you even try to forget something, the more it creeps in your mind. We are narrators of our own mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 12:02 PM

It's a very offensive thought because I am capturing a snapshot of something without fully understanding the micro-aggressions taking place in their relationship.

Her religion, uptight upbringing could also be at fault.

Whatever it is, I shouldn't ever supposedly "collect" something like that.

My thoughts isn't forming academic essays. It's just a bunch of things that are flowing in - with common themes of dating, marriage, immigration, financial stability, interpersonal behaviors.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:34 PM

11,919 posts, read 8,244,234 times
Thoughts aren't crimes. Yet, anyway.

Sounds like you're thinking about things that most of us struggle with and looking at the way we can form irrational opinions. You're challenging them.

This is how we "get there." I think you're right that information and empathy can play a good part in understanding people who are different than we are.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:36 PM

Thanks for sharing that.

Some people will say that this kind of thoughts shouldn't be condemned, but in many ways, it is still hurtful to the people involved. That's why these are thoughts that remain inside because you know, no matter how it is phrased, it can never be a source of discussion for certain groups.

If they could criminalize this, they would.

Free speech if you dare, it is libel and defamation for others.

That's why I fear AI because what if these thoughts are inside you - but livestreamed, how will you protect yourself from libel and defamation? and what if this is done to you by the most powerful people of the land?

If you stand still, and refuse to respond, you could still get in trouble.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,872,984 times
Well, women are, across the board, thought of as "less than" or inferior by many, even subconsciously. And then if you add the element of racism towards minority women, it's more than possible that Filipina women are looked down on by some. Both with respect to sexism and racism, positive strides have been made in recent years but the issues are not resolved.

Many, many people, including women, are secretly or openly sexist and racist. The woman you describe may be in a tough spot; it may be that her husband doesn't love* her. Some people are not even capable of love. So it's not abnormal or offensive to take notice of the obvious.

BTW: every first year law student learns that the best defense against libel is the truth. A remark is not libellous if it's true.

* By love, I mean that the person is valued and respected. Their happiness is more important than your own. No wonder she refuses sex, if she does. They should go to counseling.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:50 AM

7,569 posts, read 4,115,387 times
When I have these thoughts, I usually don't accept invitations when both of them are present. Also, if I am visiting my aunt at her home and the husband shows up, I excuse myself and leave.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:12 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,939,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavs View Post
Thanks for sharing that.

Some people will say that this kind of thoughts shouldn't be condemned, but in many ways, it is still hurtful to the people involved. That's why these are thoughts that remain inside because you know, no matter how it is phrased, it can never be a source of discussion for certain groups.

If they could criminalize this, they would.

Free speech if you dare, it is libel and defamation for others.

That's why I fear AI because what if these thoughts are inside you - but livestreamed, how will you protect yourself from libel and defamation? and what if this is done to you by the most powerful people of the land?

If you stand still, and refuse to respond, you could still get in trouble.

When you have opinions, and state things as opinions, that's not libel. defamation. n. the act of making untrue statements about another which damages his/her reputation. If the defamatory statement is printed or broadcast over the media it is libel and, if only oral, it is slander.

At least here in America, it seems to me it's pretty hard to prove these things. People say awful things about our presidents all the damn time. How many of them get prosecuted?

Old 08-20-2018, 09:16 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,872,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
When you have opinions, and state things as opinions, that's not libel. defamation. n. the act of making untrue statements about another which damages his/her reputation. If the defamatory statement is printed or broadcast over the media it is libel and, if only oral, it is slander.

At least here in America, it seems to me it's pretty hard to prove these things. People say awful things about our presidents all the damn time. How many of them get prosecuted?
The libel/slander distinction is an important one most people are not aware of. Regarding defamation of presidents or anyone else, it's not actionable if the remarks are true.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:29 AM

3,265 posts, read 1,777,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavs View Post
I think that Filipina women are deemed inferior in the American society.

I do secretly think about that.

My aunt is an accountant, but I don't think her husband respects her intelligence despite the fact that she is frugal, probably has more savings than him, able to actually live independently. When I visited their home, many times I sense a lot of puts down. I felt that her husband disrespects her for the way she speaks, and for the things she doesn't know. In return, I think she withholds sex.

This is a very controversial opinion - the type of thoughts that I try to hide from the world.

But when finally revealed to the world, it will sound very offensive to the point that I will be ostracized by my family, community, the general public who doesn't want to hear such opinion.

If we have an artificial intelligence application that livestreams these kinds of thought - it will be a cause of someone being incriminated.

Under normal circumstance will I have any intention to reveal some of my observations, and I don't think they are accurate, and in fact, I try to sweep that under the rug. Any opinions of mine like that I try to keep ignoring until I gain enough experience in life.

It is possible that I am perceiving things as a projection, it isn't the truth. My perceptions evolve.

My uncle once told me that I shouldn't record in my mind any observations I have. One ear, goes out to the other ear. See nothing, hear nothing.

I'd think that's not possible, the more you even try to forget something, the more it creeps in your mind. We are narrators of our own mind.
What exactly are you frightened of??
Think freely, courageously, boldly and with an open mind that admits it's own errors.
No thought is offensive.. only actions.
So be prudent in your decisions to speak or act ... but do NOT be stifled by timidity for fear of 'offending' someone as long as you express your opinions with civility.
Life constrained by such fear is loathsome and self-destructive.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:37 AM

6,277 posts, read 4,143,974 times
You make observations based on things done that you witnessed but there is the danger of extrapolation based on perceptions which can lead to unfair conclusions. It’s when you act on those conclusions that can be a major problem However there is nothing against thinking them,exploring and examining them or asking general questions. Not quite sure what you are afraid of,unless you fear your uncle and challenging things you feel are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology