Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 01:06 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Now imagine having 6 dozen of them that you don't use for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 02:35 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Now imagine having 6 dozen of them that you don't use for anything.

Well, actually I am trying to head that way because I do have a use for them. They would be the box of various cups such as plastic, metal, tall, short, etc to be in the field kitchen supplies. That's where my old travel (and leaky) coffee mugs go.

A and B. A: As oppose to buying paper (or even worse, plastic to contribute to the glut) cups, have something reusable instead. B: One of the early camping trips, a dive boss caught me short because he did ask if I had a tall glass; he wanted to mix a drink.

Live and learn.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:58 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times
I once dated a guy who was a borderline hoarder. I think if his roommate wasn't there, the hoarding would be a lot worse. From what I observed about him, he does everything possible to avoid conflict and responsibility which makes him appear to be extremely lazy and passive. At rare times, his true colors would show and would become angry threatening to break things or saying negative things about himself. It wasn't something I was going to put up with long-term so we are no longer together. From what I read about hoarding, it's an issue that can be managed if the person realize they have a problem. Similar to an addict. Relapse is always a possibility.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:41 AM

658 posts, read 722,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
First, let me say that the programs you cited are not sitcoms. There are full and partial episodes on youtube should you now have interest in seeing abbreviated examples of how these situations are handled.

You called this visit an intervention but made no mention of actually seeing Aunt Carol at all. Was she there? What was her reaction to having all of you traipse in?

And what is your mother's plan to assist Aunt Carol should the county condemn the house?

Frankly, there is probably no remedy or cure, only management.
I am wondering why your family seemed to just walk right into someone else's home and start judging them. What if they did that to YOU? Whether or not you think or even know that person has an illness you still need to give them basic respect and they have a right to their stuff even if they are hoarding it. It's not all trash to THEM. Lots of your stuff is worthless in MY eyes but I'm sure you wouldn't want me tossing it saying you don't need it.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:00 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY 915 View Post
This link I am providing I found here at CD some time ago....after reading it I kept it....as there are many like poor soul George Bell.

I feel great sadness for your Aunt Carol and hope she can be helped in some way...

The Lonely Death of George Bell

R.I.P. George M. Bell, Jr
1942--2014

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/18/n...y.html?mcubz=0
This is so sad. Thanks for passing on the article.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,431 times

Old 09-11-2018, 02:27 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY 915 View Post
This link I am providing I found here at CD some time ago....after reading it I kept it....as there are many like poor soul George Bell.

I feel great sadness for your Aunt Carol and hope she can be helped in some way...

The Lonely Death of George Bell

R.I.P. George M. Bell, Jr
1942--2014

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/18/n...y.html?mcubz=0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
This is so sad. Thanks for passing on the article.
I agree. That's gotta be the loneliness way to die. Even worse than prison. At least in prison, they tend to rely on each other when no seems to care about them on the outside. I've seen this one documentary where elderly prisoners who usually serving a life sentence take care of each other until death so one doesn't have to die alone. It was interesting.

I read the article and 15% seems really high not knowing who the next of kin is. And with smaller families is usually the norm in today's society and many people tend to keep to themselves, the number will probably only higher in the future. Even if they do have relatives, there are probably legit reasons why they choose not to be involved in a hoarder's life.

Maybe welfare checks by authorities should be mandatory especially if one is living alone and elderly. Not everyone pays attention to their neighbors or they may live in a secluded area away from others where their death may go unnoticed for a period of time.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:30 AM

38 posts, read 41,324 times
Default Hoarder

Interesting post! The OP mentioned seeing an "untidy yard and front porch. The yard was disheveled and piles of junk all around".
From what I've seen, heard and experienced with hoarders thru the years, an "untidy, disheveled yard with piles of junk all around" is a clearcut exterior sign of a hoarder.
The accumulation and possession of a hoarder's junk is never just contained inside the house, it will spill out.

Sometime last year, I inquired and posted a thread question about a house for rent in Sunnyvale California - this area is just outside of San Francisco, a high rent district.
It was a hoarder's home and they were asking for FULL Rent as if their home was equal value to other homes in the same neighborhood for rent.
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...e-94085-a.html

The funny (and pathetic) thing about this rental property, the owner did not post any pictures of the interior but immediately wanted to interview me at the very start of my inquiry. I strongly believe she wanted me to consider renting this place WITH the sizable junk intact and asking for FULL RENT price.

Urghh!

Here's an article I've found online about the psychology of hoarding.
https://www.hoardinghelp.com/signs-of-a-hoarder/

Old 07-04-2019, 09:44 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk1234 View Post
Interesting post! The OP mentioned seeing an "untidy yard and front porch. The yard was disheveled and piles of junk all around".
From what I've seen, heard and experienced with hoarders thru the years, an "untidy, disheveled yard with piles of junk all around" is a clearcut exterior sign of a hoarder.
The accumulation and possession of a hoarder's junk is never just contained inside the house, it will spill out.

Sometime last year, I inquired and posted a thread question about a house for rent in Sunnyvale California - this area is just outside of San Francisco, a high rent district.
It was a hoarder's home and they were asking for FULL Rent as if their home was equal value to other homes in the same neighborhood for rent.
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...e-94085-a.html

The funny (and pathetic) thing about this rental property, the owner did not post any pictures of the interior but immediately wanted to interview me at the very start of my inquiry. I strongly believe she wanted me to consider renting this place WITH the sizable junk intact and asking for FULL RENT price.

Urghh!

Here's an article I've found online about the psychology of hoarding.
https://www.hoardinghelp.com/signs-of-a-hoarder/
I read the article. It speaks about “the main problem” in the conclusion, but never defines what the “main problem” is. Surely hoarding is symptomatic of a larger psychological problem.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:51 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk1234 View Post

Urghh!
At least you can still see the ground. The hoarder who lives behind me, their property is a total wilderness. I would love to secretly rent some goats and let them loose on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology