Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2018, 10:12 AM

403 posts, read 363,852 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Hoping if anyone can give me insight
I feel like my boyfriend may have mild depression.. but I'm not sure. We talked about it and we are in process of seeking professional help to diagnose.. but I'm having huge anxiety over this because our relationship has not been the best in the past few months either.
He's been really withdrawn lately, and I feel like he's been really distant from me and the relationship, as if the love is no longer there even though he does tell me he loves me He has also been more irritable lately, as well as no motivation to do anything - whether it's with friends, work, or daily activities (been pretty anti-social.. he's an introvert so figured that's how he is, but he does not care for any social settings now). He's also mentioned he has persistent "empty" or anxious feelings most of the day and I can tell from his low mood.
It really hurts because before talking these out, I blame myself for his feelings changing.. I love him and want to help him, but at the same time not sure if he is going through depression or maybe he no longer feels the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 10:42 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Believe what he tells you....

as someone with depression, it does sound as if this could be an issue for him.

Good he'll be seen by a professional...

not your fault in any way. Not his either...

Old 08-23-2018, 10:43 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
OP: As a much older member here, what I see and have found in my life, that LOVE stuff goes too fast and so many put so much into those words and often too soon. Wonder how long you are with your bf.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:00 AM

403 posts, read 363,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: As a much older member here, what I see and have found in my life, that LOVE stuff goes too fast and so many put so much into those words and often too soon. Wonder how long you are with your bf.
What do you mean?
2 years.. I do not think he is lying when he says he loves me.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:10 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
What do you mean?
2 years.. I do not think he is lying when he says he loves me.
No I'm not saying he does not, and wondered how long you were together. My ex professed his love and then found someone new to love. I guess I'm just saying watch that love feeling.

As far as the depression I really can't comment there. Many people have highs and lows in life. He may need thyroid tweaked or whatever it could take to bring him up. Only he can do that.

There are many reasons for depression issues, situations in life which can come and go and then there is clinical depression where for me a thyroid med was the answer. I've had plenty of ups and downs but they have a way of working out with time, did for me anyway. And even talk therapy which I've done a bit in my life. Helped me.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-23-2018 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-24-2018, 08:31 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
Hi All,
Hoping if anyone can give me insight
I feel like my boyfriend may have mild depression.. but I'm not sure. We talked about it and we are in process of seeking professional help to diagnose.. but I'm having huge anxiety over this because our relationship has not been the best in the past few months either.
He's been really withdrawn lately, and I feel like he's been really distant from me and the relationship, as if the love is no longer there even though he does tell me he loves me He has also been more irritable lately, as well as no motivation to do anything - whether it's with friends, work, or daily activities (been pretty anti-social.. he's an introvert so figured that's how he is, but he does not care for any social settings now). He's also mentioned he has persistent "empty" or anxious feelings most of the day and I can tell from his low mood.
It really hurts because before talking these out, I blame myself for his feelings changing.. I love him and want to help him, but at the same time not sure if he is going through depression or maybe he no longer feels the same
You can't blame yourself for his feelings you can only support him. Glad you are seeking professional help together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology